My nameserver is also my server. How can I add a backup??

Hello,

Strange config, I know, but my nameserver is also my server. So when my server goes down, the nameserver goes down.

Are there any free dns services which I can use as a third and fourth nameserver?

Thank you.

I don't believe so, this would be registered through your web host or your domain registrar if its parked..

There are free DNS options out there, but one would have to wonder why you'd bother.

If your name server and server are one in the same, your domain names are unreachable when that server goes down. Having DNS somewhere else won't change that.

Spreading DNS across different servers and networks is good practice, but perhaps when you have only one box, you can afford to ignore what would otherwise be good practice (DNS diversity).
    “Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under
    considerable economic stress at this period in history.”

Quote Originally Posted by mwatkins
    There are free DNS options out there, but one would have to wonder why you'd bother.

If your name server and server are one in the same, your domain names are unreachable when that server goes down. Having DNS somewhere else won't change that.

Spreading DNS across different servers and networks is good practice, but perhaps when you have only one box, you can afford to ignore what would otherwise be good practice (DNS diversity).

As others have pointed out to me when I said the same thing earlier when thinking about it too quickly:

Having a nameserver give an answer of a machine which is not responding is better then having a nameserver not reply.

Mailservers are likely going to insta-drop any messages for a server which DNS says doesn't exist... then queue it if it's simply unreachable.

As well, and less important... some people would rather display an error saying that the host was unreachable, rather then does not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by monkey junkie
    Are there any free dns services which I can use as a third and fourth nameserver?
    If your traffic is light, you could probably use RollerNet. They prohibit using them as vanity nameservers though, so if you wanted the NS records to look like servers from your domain you'd probably want to look at something like DNSMadeEasy's offering.

Either of those options aren't going to work too well if you're running a control panel, however. You'll need to manually sign into the service and configure the domains it should be a slave NS server for. If you're running cPanel then you'd probably have to look at renting a small VPS to run the DNS-Only cPanel package.
    Eric Spaeth
    Enterprise Network Engineer :: Hosting Hobbyist :: Master of Procrastination
    "The really cool thing about facts is they remain true regardless of who states them."

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwave
    Having a nameserver give an answer of a machine which is not responding is better then having a nameserver not reply.
    I realize that and you are right to jump in with those observations. My comment was based on the assumption that the server is hosting one or just a few private domains, and is not being used for commercial hosting of numerous domains. I should have made that clear.

If its just a few domains that need mirroring, manually updating a third party domain service - here's one run by some reputable folks in Victoria BC: ttp://domain-dns.com/ - might suffice.

Obviously if its a single box hosting hundreds or more domains, then there's a different scale of problem, and you really need some other DNS server to accept zone transfers, and you'd want to be able to trust whoever is running that DNS server. To the OP: Perhaps find someone you know who has a similar problem and collaborate.
    “Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under
    considerable economic stress at this period in history.”

I would suggest setting up a service such as EveryDNS or other free/cheap secondary DNS service and allowing zone transfers to their IPs. When you add a new domain in cPanel, you will need to manually add the secondary zone but any changes to that zone will automatically be updated after that point.

A better option, if this is a dedicated server or vps which you have full root access and WHM/cPanel on - you can use cPanel's DNS clustering with a second VPS or dedicated server with WHM/cPanel which will (when setup properly) sync all DNS zones automatically. This second server can be used for hosting as well and just use the first server as it's secondary for DNS.

If you don't want/need a full-blown second WHM/cPanel you can install the cPanel DNS-Only package. This could even be done on a server run from home on a static IP connection (such as Speakeasy DSL) but I would suggest you use something from an actual data center for speed and reliability as DNS resolution times will affect load time of your websites in cases where the records are not already cached with your visitors' provider.
    Kristopher E.J.
    http://www.SSAHost.com
    Stable, Supported, Affordable.

OK. I'm a little confused, sorry.

My server runs WHM/Cpanel.

I have just signed up with ZoneEdit.com and used their service to get nameserver details.

Do I just get my registrar to add these nameservers to the existing list (two already, now there will be four) and that's it?

Or do I need to change some settings in WHM/Cpanel?

Sorry if I sound dumb...

Zoneedit.com allows 5 free domains to be secondary, tertiary, etc nameservers.
    I use them. Decent service for being free.