hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Other Forums : Computers and Peripherals : Extracting a multi-part zip archive

Forum Jump

Extracting a multi-part zip archive

Reply Post New Thread In Computers and Peripherals Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
Web Hosting Evangelist

Extracting a multi-part zip archive

I downloaded a 29 part zip archive, the extensions are .zip for the first file, followed by .z01, .z02, etc. I was told that using Winzip 9.0+ I can extract this, but winzip doesn't recognize the extensions as a multi-part archive and I can't extract any of the files except for the first .zip file. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

MSN: msn@hostingchoice.net AIM: HCLiveHelp02

Sponsored Links
Old

Hi. What you were told was right. You dont have to deal with the .zxx files (atleast directly). All you need to do is open the .zip file using WinZip. When you open the .zip file, WinZip will automatically merge the parts automatically and will display the contents of the overall archive. Its just a matter of you extracting it. I deal alot with split archives, both zip and rar. All you need to do is extract the files which you see when you open the main .zip file.

Old
Web Hosting Evangelist

Ahh, thanks a lot I'll give that a shot. I keep having to uninstall winzip because it crashes my machine at start up for some reason, so I'll install that again and try it out.

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master Disaster

might help:

You also need the main header zip (a file with a .zip extension). This file specifies the location, order and number of parts (z01, z02, z03 etc.). Please search for this file on the download site. Once you have this file, put all four files in the same directory and ask winzip to open the zip file. The zip file will then instruct winzip to search for three more files (z01, z02, z03) in the same directory and integrate them into one big zip file. After this, you'll have a "normal" zip file which you can open with winzip easily whose content includes all the part zips.

found here: http://www.experts-exchange.com/Misc..._21824834.html

Old
Web Hosting Evangelist

Thanks guys, figured it out, unfortunately I'm still having issues. First off, I downloaded it using rapidget which as I've said for I think is the cause of the frequent issues I've been having with CRC errors. When I attempt to extract this file I get an error saying that either the file is corrupted or the password is wrong.

I'm 75% sure I have the correct password, but if I don't how can I check that? I downloaded an application that recovers ZIP passwords and created a new wordlist with only the password which I believe is correct to see if that would tell me, but it's freeware and won't give me the result unless I purchase it. I'm guessing that winzip wouldn't begin the extraction process with an incorrect password, but then what's the purpose of the error I received? Would it not tell you when you first entered an incorrect password rather then after it had attempted to de-compress the archive? Anyway, due to that fact and the fact that I downloaded it from rapidget, I'm assuming that my problem is corrupted data and not the wrong password.

Whenever I download RARs that are corrupted what I do is use an application to test each individual volume for CRC errors, so that I can determine which files are corrupted and then re-download them, this seems to do the trick. However, when I use winzip to test this particular archive all it does it test the 4 ISOs for CRC errors rather then the actual volumes. I got corrupted data errors on all 4 ISOs, but that means out of the 28 files I have 1 out of the roughly 7 per CD could be bad or all 7 could be bad, I don't know. What I need is a program that will allow me to test each indivual archive for errors, as I don't want to download everything again. I don't know if there is such a program that treats them as separate volumes, it seems as though the files are unreadable until I extract the first ZIP file.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
LeaseWeb Netherlands Chosen to Host 20 Years Worth of Debian Linux Distributions Web Hosting News 2014-10-15 00:22:01
Cloud Multi-Factor Authentication on the Rise as Organizations Embrace BYOD Web Hosting News 2014-05-28 14:31:20
The Cloud Is Under Siege; How Can I Protect It From DDoS Attacks? Webinars 2014-06-10 10:55:46
SingleHop Adds Multi-Factor Authentication as Part of New Customer Feedback Initiative Web Hosting News 2014-05-01 08:25:27
Kim Dotcom Talks Digital Rights, Trans-Pacific Partnership in Wired Interview Blog 2013-11-20 11:53:29