Thread: Computer virus

Computer virus

Hi folks

Okay, I'm asking this on behalf of a friend since tomorrow I'm going round his to try and help him with a problem he has. Basically the other day he received a link over MSN, and foolishly he clicked it and opened the PIF file. So now he has a virus.

I was wondering if anyone here knows about the virus and could help in some way. Below are the details which his anti-virus listed:

The File Name // The Virus Name
    303.exe // Adware.ToolBar888.B
    304.exe // Adware.PurityScan.U
    loadadv455.exe // DeepScan:Generic.Malware.dld!!g.7BBDEC86

I've tried searching on Google although can't find much helpful information. Obviously if I formatted his hard drive and then reinstalled Windows for him, it would work, although he'd rather avoid this.

So if anyone knows anything, it would be much appreciated.

I would submit files to the anti-virus software vendor. In case that you have those files, of course.
    Life is too short for 56k!

You'll need to use a spyware/adware remover to get rid of these. Not sure which AV your friend is using but AdWare SE should do the job

-- Naif

If you can, find out how severe this spyware is. If it is really bad, Adaware will not be able to do the job; put the exe for spybot onto a CD or floppy so he can run it and remove the spyware