mysql root authentication errors

for some reason any cpanel application that needs root access to mysql is not working and fails with a wrong username/password error. I am able to connect via shell no problem at all using mysql -p and then entering hte password, but any application/script that accesses mysql is failing.

check /root/.my.cnf make sure it has the correct pass
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

there is no password defined in /etc/my.cnf , should there be?

Hello,

/etc/my.cnf should bear the mysql root password. Otherwise the root will not get connected to mysql. The solution for this problem is to run this script:

/scripts/mysqlup --force

This will re-install mysql fully without the loosing your data. All the databases remains intact.

Thank you.

Regards,

hostech support you are wrong.

there should be a file in /root

named .my.cnf with a period in the front of it just like this:

/root/.my.cnf

that has the contents:

[client]
    user=root
    password=yourpassword

putting the root password in the /etc/my.cnf is a security risk hosttechsupport.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

ah, I was looking in /etc/ for .my.cnf, found it in /root/