Fun n' games trying to rent a decent server

Hi!
    As many of you have noticed if you've spent any time in the Dedicated Offers section of WHT...you no doubt will have noticed there are several offers with very unbelievable offers..price wise.

Sadly...as I suspected...many are not as they seem....but your milage may vary.

You think buying a server from a reseller is bad..how about this:

I highly suspect there are resellers reselling for another reseller. Yup.
    Oh..if there are any problems...you know what to do! Well...maybe.

My personal favorite is a certain one which claims:

First Free month! No contract...no obligation!

But there are no order links. None. Zippo. Zilch. Go to the website...same thing.
    Interesting.

I decided to send a email...why not? Surprise! What arrived??? A contract..no CC auth form.

Sigh. Aye...the webs we weave...!!!

Bryon
    Last edited by bryonhost1; 10-19-2006 at 11:26 AM.
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

there are plenty of decent servers out their, well for my needs anyway im not very demanding, but i didnt have much luck in the offers section, i found the offers section useful though in finding out whats about then had to do some leg work myself and found what i was looking for
    Last edited by doc_flabby; 10-19-2006 at 05:28 PM.

You're correct; there are resellers of resellers. Why anyone would play that game is way beyond me. As for not having order buttons, we're in this category too, and our customers don't seem to find anything out of the ordinary there.

This thread will probably be moved into another section of WHT, far away from the Dedicated Server section, sadly. But i'll offer my remarks anyway. As you point out, there have been numerous scandals with regard to resellers and it seems the only modicum of trust between consumers and providers involves the ones who actually own their hardware.

Thus I propose a new test, to verify the authenticity of companies who claim to own servers. Have a tech jump on the console of your server at an appointed time and enter a 'talk' session, or use 'write' to type back and forth a few lines. Examining the output of 'who', you will be able to quickly determine that they're logged in by using a connected keyboard on the console and not a serial console or ssh. Then ask them to plug in a USB CD-ROM or USB memory stick to seal the deal (you'll see information about what was plugged in, in the 'dmesg' output). At that point you'll have proof positive that the company you're buying from not only owns the hardware, but has physical access to it.

Just my .02

Now selling BigVPS's!
    Jacksonville Colocation and dedicated servers by colo4jax
    We are *not* a reseller. We own our servers, switches, routers and racks.

Hi!
    Oh..I have more news..the no-contract contract? Ohhh..upon close examination it had a few delightful tidbits to snare the...umm..intelligence-challenged..who might sign without even reading. First..problems begin to mount. Their billing is on the 1st..and they expect to be paid on the first.

Hmm..so..if you signed up today..and they provisioned the server..say..Monday..your "free month" would sadly be...9 days..and then you would get a bill. Reading on..it gets worse..you must give them 15 days notice to cancel..soo...bottom line...you're on the hook for at least one month past this free week. Even worse...after the first thirty days..you must give them 30 days notice to cancel...mind you...this is suppose to be a month-to-month contract.

I pointed this out..and he changed the 15 day to 5 days...and the 30 to 7. Sadly...when i pointed out the extremely short month...he stopped talking to me. ...

Oh well...them de breaks.

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

Think what it would it would be like buying from a reseller of a reseller of a reseller I know that the line goes at least 3 down under us.
    Jon Black