Talking Simple Affiliate tracking script - ideas?

I am thinking about writing a simple affiliate tracking script, and would like to see everyone's ideas on this. As soon as I am done, I will let anyone use it for free, so let me know what you guys want!

Here is what I am thinking:

Simple perl script takes the affiliate ID number and sets a cookie in the visitors browser that will expire in 30 days. Then, on your order form confirmation page, you will grab the ID out of the cookie, take the user's domain name and append both to a file.

Like I said, extremely basic stuff, but this will allow for easy affiliate tracking on your site. I am currently using modernbill, and will most likely be incorporating this script into modernbill.

What do you guys think is the best way to write such a script, and what features would you like to see implemented? I know there are many affiliate scripts out there, but I couldn't find any that would work the way I want it to...

This is now what I am thinking:
    A php file that the affiliate can link to like:

This php file sets the cookie and forwards to your main page.

Then, in the order form, you can include the code to write the domain/userid file, or use modernbill's headers or footers to accomplish the same thing...

Last edited by mpope; 06-17-2002 at 04:23 PM.

Hello I am interested
    in this affilate program, how can I contact you?