Bandwidth Quality define Quality!!!

hi i've been hearing a lot of people saying to me well if you pay such a cheap price etc a month for good lot of bandwidth then the bandwidth is going to be of a poor quality.
    what i want to know is what makes bandwidth different from system to system and one is better than the other.
    it can't be to do with uptime can it as most hosts over 99.9etc uptime so surely that can't make too much a difference
    i'm very confused on this point so if anyone can enlighten me i#d be very grateful

Quality bandwidth will complement the overall speed of the service you receive.

Quality bandwidth, such as UUNet, Sprint, AT&T, InterNAP and Genuity is likely to be faster, it will get your data from destination to source in a shorter period. Telco's such as these will have better peering arrangements that companies such as Cogent, who will often bounce you around in an illogical way to try and keep you on their network, and the "bounce" can reduce speeds.

However, saying this, the difference can be negligible.
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell - hosting from a registrar DONE RIGHT!

Boston Metro
    There are number of factors in addition to uptime that go into determining whether or not "bandwidth" is good quality.

What is commonly called bandwidth is actually network transit. Somewhere up the line one provider is purchasing X amount of transit across another network.

Some networks are fast, traffic is routed smoothly across them, and they rarely have outages or slow-downs. Others are much slower, and there are often problems with routing. Allegiance Telecom (former Intermedia) has a problem with this.

Also, networks with the most hosts connected directly to them (not web hosts but actual hosts) are better for the purchase of network transit because they keep the number of hops down.

WorldCom, Cable and Wireless and Verio have the most hosts, companies like Sprint and AT&T are much lower on the list.

Some network transit is not paid, but arranged for in a private peering agreement, where two networks will exchange traffic in equal amounts. There are also public peering points like MAE-East (and yes, there is a MAE-West) where traffic is routed amongst a variety of networks.

Bandwidth that makes heavy use of public peering tends to be lesser quality because those peering points can be very congested. Private peering and purchased transit is more expensive, but works more efficiently.
    All your hosts are belong to us

I think bandwidth quality is defined as very little network lag and few network hops.

You can tell the difference between web hosts usually with a simple ping test and traceroute

If you don't know anything about ping or traceroute, you can find plenty of information about it on the web.