Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

* Need Some Wisdom from the Hosting Lords "ixwebhosting is crap"

Hello all

So this is where it begins. I have been with a hosting company called IXWEBHOSTING for just under a year. I have their ultimate package and I have been talking with these people for over 7 months now and got no where.

This is what I have experiencd.

Every day my sites go down. Out of 16 sites which I am allowed I have 2 up and running and they keep going down. Sometime I get the message saying that the MYSQL server has gone down.

The sites are so slow. I have wait any where between 10 – 60 seconds for the first page to come up

I have also had the 404 error and then a few minutes later everything is back online. AND THIS IS ON NORMAL HTML PAGES ARRRGH

In other words ixwebhosting is a nightmare.

I am located in the UK and the IX Server are located in the US. I am not sure if this is a problem however please advise

These are my requirements

Budget – Between £20 – £40 a month
    Hosting server must be FAST FAST FAST
    50+ Websites
    100GB – 500GB Bandwidth
    SSL
    PHP MYSQL

Any advice please

the message is deleted
    Last edited by HHIC; 10-16-2006 at 05:26 AM.

Firstly before doing anything get a backup of your data sooner rather than later as it will help when it comes to moving site. Now for a new host its worth checking the hosting / offers forum to see what there is on offer. A US/UK based server won't make major day to day difference for site visitors so you do have a choice. The £/$ is quite strong at the moment so its worth using that to your advantage if you go for a US based hosted

HTH
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon
    Freelance Sysadmin for Hire - email vaserv@gmail.com

If you used some of the free domain name registrations that come with their plans, or bought a domain name through them and do not want to continue the registration with them, you will need nerves of steel, lots of patience, be able to deal with their "staff" etc.
    One is able to change the nameservers, but they like to force you to keep an account with them, even if it is just to renew your domain names.
    It is easy to back up with them, just use their file manager, tick the domain, and it will compress all the files and let you download it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoggi
    If you used some of the free domain name registrations that come with their plans, or bought a domain name through them and do not want to continue the registration with them, you will need nerves of steel, lots of patience, be able to deal with their "staff" etc.
    One is able to change the nameservers, but they like to force you to keep an account with them, even if it is just to renew your domain names.
    It is easy to back up with them, just use their file manager, tick the domain, and it will compress all the files and let you download it.

Just like yoggi say's, if you register your domain with your host, it's lots and lots and lots of patience dealing with them.

Before you move to another server always backup Plus some hosting company would actually allow you to upload some files for a test run to see if everything works

Hay all.. thanks for the info...

I have a backup of everything.. I have my domains with another company so that is not a problem....

Ok people, are we thinking VPS...

Any ideas of packages.

?

Are you actually using the 100GB - 500GB of bandwidth? Or is this something you're looking for to expand?

As for server speeds, the only real way to find out is to request sites hosted on servers.

At present no..

I am using 3.1gb so far a month.. however once everything is online then we are expecting large growth..

any advice more than welcome

Jazz

Hello Jazz

My advise would it be to stay with an smaller package while you don't use

If you're not using 500 GB at this moment, why pay for it?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

I am using 3.1gb so far a month.. however once everything is online then we are expecting large growth..
    If you have sites that rely heavily on PHP and MySQL, and ou want to go with a shared hosting solution, I would probably look more towards packages on the lower side of your requirements, but on the higher side of your budget. But that's just me, and as time goes on, I get the feeling I'm getting old fashioned. Apparently some CEOs think 1TB should be sold at $4.

One piece of aditional advice I can give you is to take a look at the prices of dedicated servers. Then run the math and think how much shared hosting should really cost, without the practice of overselling.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito
    If you're not using 500 GB at this moment, why pay for it?
    Sounds like solid advice to me
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc
    One piece of aditional advice I can give you is to take a look at the prices of dedicated servers. Then run the math and think how much shared hosting should really cost, without the practice of overselling.
    Then what do you do if the company is based on <insert ubercheap server provider here>, or the OP bases his calculations on that? This could skew the excersize completely - not to mention there are other costs involved, not just the server - how about support staff? admin staff? billing software? ticketing system and other misc. expenses?

Just my $0.02 cents.
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

Thankyou all for the input....

Ok let say this then...

I have &#163;500 for one year. so thats &#163;41.60 a month I can spend on hosting... Now I need someone to really guide me here...

There are SOOOO many companines doing hosting...

With my requirments in mind do I

Go Shared,
    Go VPS
    GO Deicated

So let say I am aiming for 100GB a month, so keep that in mind.....
    These sites are Ecommerce sites.... so bare that in mind to...

I really need advice on who is hot and not.....

I cannot trust reviews becuase this is how a came across IXWEBHOSTING... and that was a learning curve... Now my customer sites keep on falling.... even my sites are falling.... its no good...

Any advice.

Jazz
    Last edited by esurge; 10-16-2006 at 12:20 PM.

My $.02 is to do a solid search as Jedito mentioned and then do a follow-up search on WHT for any reviews or comments that might help in your decision making.

I would look for a provider that offers you the option to grow your site in stages.
    Shared > Reseller (maybe) > VPS > Dedicated.

Good luck!

Then what do you do if the company is based on <insert ubercheap server provider here>, or the OP bases his calculations on that? This could skew the excersize completely - not to mention there are other costs involved, not just the server - how about support staff? admin staff? billing software? ticketing system and other misc. expenses?
    I tried to keep things simple. After all, you don't start teaching math by presenting differentials. I probably should have mentioned that it was almost an oversimplification, but still in my eyes, a very good exercise.

I really need advice on who is hot and not.....
    One way of doing that is to read lots of threads here. Take note of recommended hosts, see if they fit your requirements, and add them to your short list.

Then thoroughly hunt for reviews on every single host: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search.php

Contact the hosts, ask them a few questions. See how fast and how well they respond.

It can take a bit of time, but it's time well spent.

Keep in mind that the cheaper hosts tend enjoy popularity here, yet (IMO) a cheap host isn't exactly the focus of your search.

Thankyou all.. you guys are really good.... IfI could buy you guys a beer I would really

I will do some research and come back to you in a few days with my findings

I want to share my very very small experiences....

for UK, I think UKreg (fasthost.co.uk) is the best.
    I have my website on that server, I usually get 99.98% uptime.
    Speed is really really good for UK because their server is located in UK.
    you can test www.daewe.com for speed and uptime.
    but the price is very expensive.

for word wide, I like Hostonce coz of their speed. I haven't test their uptime.
    I have another hosting account on lunarpages and m6.net.
    but i believe that Hostonce is the fastest.
    ygnKK

Hello Ygnkk

How much to do you pay if you dont mind me asking

Jazz

hi

Hosting &#163;43.89 + MSSQL &#163;180 = &#163;223.89 (exc. VAT) per year

I can buy 4 US hosting with this price.
    ygnKK

um... ok.... does that only allow ONE domain..... I check with them for a dedicated server they told me &#163;200 a month basic package???????

Now what I want to know is the diffrence between having a server in the UK opposed to the UK?

Jazz

if the server is located in UK, all users from UK can access more faster than other countries.
    but don't choose like this.

If your website is for world wide, don't choose fasthost.
    for UK, I recommeded that hosting.

I chose one of my websites for that hosting because of UK customers and users.
    Last edited by ygnkk; 10-17-2006 at 06:16 PM.
    ygnKK

Now what I want to know is the diffrence between having a server in the UK opposed to the UK?
    If your main target is UK, hosting in UK can help in the search engines, as you'd be listed when someone does a "pages from the UK" search. How high you'll be listed (the ranking), depends on how well the your website's pages are search engine optimized, and also on how well your competitor's pages are optimized.

Quote Originally Posted by esurge
    Every day my sites go down. Out of 16 sites which I am allowed I have 2 up and running and they keep going down. Sometime I get the message saying that the MYSQL server has gone down.

The sites are so slow. I have wait any where between 10 – 60 seconds for the first page to come up

I am located in the UK and the IX Server are located in the US

Budget – Between £20 – £40 a month
    100GB – 500GB Bandwidth

Any advice please
    Biggest piece of advice - increase your budget !

Yes you *may* have problems with the UK/US issues, depending on who *youre* ISP is and who your "host" uses for bandwidth. Best advice is to host it in the UK on someone who actually has their *own* network (not some blurb on their website about multiple OC123 links etc - find out what their AS number is - if they dont have one or know what it is - avoid)

Be realistic about your requirements - everybody seem sto want 500Gb of transfer, and 2000Gb of diskspace, for their 30kb/s website - and the people that cater for people with unreal expectations are overselling up the ying-yang and can lead to the issues you see.

There are SOOOO many companines doing hosting...
    No, there are very few *companies* doing hosting, and even fewer *hosts* :p
    There are a lot of individuals selling hosting off a reseller account of whatever - not the same thing :p

Go Shared,
    Go VPS
    GO Deicated
    If you dont know how to professionally manage a server, VPS may not solve any of the issue you are seeing, shared is *probably* right for your needs, but you need to select your host better.
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Hosting

Ok then....

wel how about a few names then

Rackspace quoted me £300 a month (100GB /M)
    Fast Host quoted me £200 a month (100GB / M)

So how else... and althought you say in crase you budegt.. but too how much...

I mean £3600 is alot a year and even £2400..

As I said. I do not mind having less bandwidth but it has to be fast. When my shops grow then will the bandwidth.

So who else is there

?

Having had experience with 'ixwebhosting' you already have a good idea as to what price / feature ratio is going to give you crappy service. A good rule of thumb is to find a Hoster that charges at least 50 cent (US) or more per GB of Data transfer. Not say they provide trouble free service, but they do have a tendency to better manage their Servers and not overload them.

Best advice is for you to start making a list, and checking it twice.

Spreadsheet format might be best as you can detail why you like, don't like, someone's Service. Once you have a shortlist of about 5 names you start getting serious. Contact them by eMail, phone, whatever, and ask a few questions about their packages. That should give who to start with now and who to immediately move to, if plan B is required. And don't lose that list!

With any potential Hoster, Features / Price / Support can be checked out before signing up. The last point to consider, Service or Uptime, cannot usually be determined until one actually starts using it.

To help overcome that, there are various places that provide Free or Paid uptime monitoring and the following three provide both:

http://easymonitor.com/
    http://siteuptime.com/
    http://host-tracker.com/

Using a combination of all on one Hoster or each on different Hosters, can give you a good idea on their Service before using them. And, as people are quick to complain and slow to praise -- just the way we are I guess -- look for a Forum at your potential Hoster. Reading through various posts will give a good idea of how other people judge the Hoster along with how they reply to posts.

Overall, research and patience are two important tools when checking most things, Hosting or otherwise.
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast