How many sites should be hosted in one server?

Hi,

How many sites should be hosted in one server? I know this depends on the server configuration but can some of the hosting companies give me some estimate with configuration and ideal number of sites.

How do you check whether a hosting company will provide a fast site or not?

Thanks,
    AjiNIMC
    Last edited by AjiNIMC; 10-18-2006 at 10:03 PM.
    Below the top command - Everything from load average, zombie tasks, memory distribution, nice processes for better server optimization.

We don't put more than 300 on a server but that also depends on the server load and how many SQL databases are already on it. We also take the number of active email accounts into consideration as well.

- Craig
    Craig
    Site Host City
    Web Hosting Community and Support
    www.sitehostcity.com

Less than 100 on any AMD Sempron.
    No more than 200 on 2 X dual xeon.
    Sometimes even less than 200 depending on account types etc.
    Recommended: Stablehost, Hivelocity, Fused

Thanks for the replies.

Is there a way to find out how many sites are hosted in one server? Is there a way to find out how many sites are sharing a particular IP?
    Below the top command - Everything from load average, zombie tasks, memory distribution, nice processes for better server optimization.

Quote Originally Posted by AjiNIMC
    Thanks for the replies.

Is there a way to find out how many sites are hosted in one server? Is there a way to find out how many sites are sharing a particular IP?

Try www.whois.sc and type in any domain on that server - if you know one.
    This won't show people with private nameservers.

Cheers.

- Craig
    Craig
    Site Host City
    Web Hosting Community and Support
    www.sitehostcity.com

Quote Originally Posted by SiteHostCity
    Try www.whois.sc and type in any domain on that server - if you know one.
    This won't show people with private nameservers.

Cheers.

- Craig
    Um... I think you mean dedicated IP.
    There's 2 ways.
    Check via whois.sc, and it will say there is "x" number of domains hosted on the IP.
    That's the IP used as the A record for the domain.

There's also a way by checking the amount of domains hosted on the DNS, but it may not be the true number if the client has dedicated DNS IP's, or if the host has separate DNS IP's compared to their customers.
    Recommended: Stablehost, Hivelocity, Fused

There is absolutely NO way to tell how many accounts are hosted on a server and any information gathered is totally useless.

So what if you find out that Host X has 1000 domains pointing to 1 server - what does that mean? It means that possibly they have one guy with 999 parked domains pointing at 1 hosting account.

What does it mean if you have 5 domains pointing to 1 server? It could mean that you have 5 heavily trafficked message board accounts that keep the average server load around 25.

Again, what good does it tell you that there are 200 domains pointing at Host Y and 200 pointing at Host Z - when you'll never know that Host Y is running them on a 1.2 Celeron with 512 RAM and Host Z is hosting them on a Dual Xeon with 2 GB RAM.

It frustrates me beyond all reason when I see threads like this, and hosts giving out "advice" on how to gather meaningless information that could be interpreted many ways.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

What Tina said. ^^
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

Also, there's a difference between Domains and Accounts. You can fit considerably more domains than accounts. But anyway, the New Xeon (Woodcrests) perform better than the current Dempseys (I think they are), so you may be able to fit more.

I go for 2 million.

When I get to 2 million I buy a new celeron with 512 of ram and start stuffing it.

Quote Originally Posted by AH-Tina
    It frustrates me beyond all reason when I see threads like this, and hosts giving out "advice" on how to gather meaningless information that could be interpreted many ways.
    Totally with you on this one. X number of accounts, domains, etc... is *not* a good way to tell how good or bad a host will be.

I actually find that it's better if a host doesn't have a set limit. Think of it this way, I'd rather have a host that spends the time to load balance servers to ensure that they're each performing equally regardless of the number of accounts/domains. Servers aren't cheap, so hosts that have a strict limit of x accounts/domains per server are wasting a ton of money by purchasing new hardware and there's not much to gain.

To hosts: Spend the time to move accounts between servers to fully maximize your resource utilization. Don't take the lazy route and restrict servers to x accounts/domains.

So, to answer the OP's question: As many sites as the server can comfortably handle is how many sites should be hosted on one server.
    DreamHost Web Hosting
    Shared and VPS hosting + dedicated servers and colocation.
    ... and we're green, too!
    Hosting your dreams since 1997.

To add to the confusion, clustering can make it look like the domains/server ratio is higher than in reality.

Think of it this way, I'd rather have a host that spends the time to load balance servers to ensure that they're each performing equally regardless of the number of accounts/domains. Servers aren't cheap, so hosts that have a strict limit of x accounts/domains per server are wasting a ton of money by purchasing new hardware and there's not much to gain.
    In all honesty, each host is free to have its own policies and way of doing things. Some are adamant to not oversell the space and data transfer that the server comes with, and thus thery will always have, even if only as a consequence, a certain maximum number of accounts (and even domains) on any server. "We don't oversell" can be a powerful marketing point. What some might see as waste, others will see as the right way of doing things.

Each to his own.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc
    "We don't oversell" can be a powerful marketing point.
    Personally I only ever see this being a good marketing term for WHT (and other similar forum) visitors. The average Joe Bloggs looking for hosting does not know what overselling is and those who claim not to oversell use crazy figures when describing it so that it somehow makes their company seem better. I've not once seen a hosting company give a decent example of overselling where they did not try to make out that all overselling meant giving away the world for nothing.

Also, even here too many people are using the phrase fraudulently for it to actually work for those that don't oversell quotas. "We don't oversell" doesn't work when you click through to their site and see 5GB space, 100GB bandwidth for $10/month, yet there are many similar examples right here on this forum from people who will swear until they are blue in the face that by offering those quotas, they are not overselling.

If you offer crazy amounts for little money and don't oversell, you can only be losing money. This puts forward the question, is it better for a customer to go with someone who claims not to oversell and won't be in business for long, or the overselling host that will still be here in a few years?

It all depends on how powerful the server is, what kind of load it is receiving, and the companies budget for new servers. Load and memory usage play a big part in that for us, but usually never more than 150.
    Dimension Servers / Toll-Free: 1-888-750-6942
    RapidSSL Cert Included with ALL Reseller & Ultra Accounts
    24x7x365 Unbeatable Technical Support!
    Shared CPanel Hosting // Reseller WHM Hosting Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by jmcallister
    Load and memory usage play a big part in that for us, but usually never more than 150.
    How does this information help the OP in any way? I'm not trying to be rude, but asking realistically how generic information that is based on many hidden factors that none of us will ever know is going to give him any help?

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Quote Originally Posted by YetiHost-Wullie
    If you offer crazy amounts for little money and don't oversell, you can only be losing money. This puts forward the question, is it better for a customer to go with someone who claims not to oversell and won't be in business for long, or the overselling host that will still be here in a few years?

Now that is a new twist on the overselling argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Techark
    Now that is a new twist on the overselling argument.
    You just didn't read it properly.

My point was about the people who claim not to oversell, but still offer crazy amounts for low prices. (See my 5GB/100GB for $10 example) I also mentioned that by them claiming not to oversell, they are hurting the advertising capabilities of that phrase for the people who honestly do not oversell.

The comparision at the end of my post (the part you quoted) compared someone overselling and making money against someone who claimed not to oversell and doesnt make money, it did not include anything about those that are both not overselling and making money at the same time.

You just didn't read it properly.

My point was about the people who claim not to oversell, but still offer crazy amounts for low prices. (See my 5GB/100GB for $10 example) I also mentioned that by them claiming not to oversell, they are hurting the advertising capabilities of that phrase for the people who honestly do not oversell.

The comparision at the end of my post (the part you quoted) compared someone overselling and making money against someone who claimed not to oversell and doesnt make money, it did not include anything about those that are both not overselling and making money at the same time.
    So your point is that there is a lot of liars in this business that do false advertising?

That I can agree with.

Now I guess back on topic on how many sites to a server.

I think the term "overselling" has been oversold, especially in WHT, by kiddie hosts
    who can say not much other than that.

Honestly, I'm tired of some of incompetent and immature hosts giving wrong information without any reserve.

I think most of those who write simple comments of less than a few lines,
    using "overselling" as their sole basis of argument are abusing the term
    and they don't know what they are saying (and doing to themselves and to the hosting industry).

Personally I only ever see this being a good marketing term for WHT (and other similar forum) visitors.
    Yes, each proposition has its target. "We don't oversell" is aims at those who know more about hosting than the average Joe Bloggs. Strangely enough, these guys will generally be able to guesstimate things on their own, but that's marketing for ya'. Spell out the obvious in big bold letters.

"We don't oversell" doesn't work when you click through to their site and see 5GB space, 100GB bandwidth for $10/month, yet there are many similar examples right here on this forum from people who will swear until they are blue in the face that by offering those quotas, they are not overselling.
    Clearly, I wasn't talking about that bunch.

This must be the second time I made myself misunderstood today. (note to self: eat first, post later. low sugar in the bloodstream makes your thinking blurry )

I am not praising the "non overselling" hosts.

It depends on the server spec, setup, OS, control panel, average user/site profiles,
    and probably several other factors that it's not even very useful to consider the number so much, as other posters have already said, IMO.

Has that not been answered 10 times in this thread already?

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc
    This must be the second time I made myself misunderstood today. (note to self: eat first, post later. low sugar in the bloodstream makes your thinking blurry )

I am not praising the "non overselling" hosts.
    I didn't misunderstand you, I was just thinking out loud.

So your point is that there is a lot of liars in this business that do false advertising?
    Exactly -

Nor did it include those underselling without huge packages and making money at the same time.

Personally I only ever see this being a good marketing term for WHT (and other similar forum) visitors.
    Funny, because the only place we talk about this is on WHT - its not mentioned on our site, nor is it found in our signature, etc

having said this, and without advertising it on our site, I cannot tell you how many sales calls/emails we handle asking this exact question. Some businesses are pretty savy and they understand the differences - you shouldnt under-estimate the consumers - and it needs to be understood that there are different markets out there - the problem really is that those who oversell (especially dramatically) believe they can service every market and market as such - whereas those that legitimately undersell 1) understand they cannot service every market (nor do they wish to) and 2) based on their pricing model alone are telling consumers they cannot service and do not wish to service every market segment

This puts forward the question, is it better for a customer to go with someone who claims not to oversell and won't be in business for long, or the overselling host that will still be here in a few years?
    There are no absolutes -

It is better to go with a company that best suits your requirements.

(and again, you failed to mention those that do not oversell that turn a profit and not only have been around for awhile, but will countinue to do so)

Quote Originally Posted by CartikaHosting
    (and again, you failed to mention those that do not oversell that turn a profit and not only have been around for awhile, but will countinue to do so)
    I already said that.

it did not include anything about those that are both not overselling and making money at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by AH-Tina
    How does this information help the OP in any way? I'm not trying to be rude, but asking realistically how generic information that is based on many hidden factors that none of us will ever know is going to give him any help?
    Well, the OP did kinda ask a generic question to begin with.

There is no single answer to the question, "How many sites should be hosted in one server?" It all practically depends on your server and the sites themselves.

Anyone that answers this question with anything besides "It Depends" or with a hard # is an idiot. 1 site can be too much for some servers, 1000's can be fine on others. Just a matter of how resource intensive and/or popular each specific site is.

Your answer really depends on the servers hardware but a celeron 2.7 can handle 300 cPanel accounts so i'd imagine if you went with a xeon or dual xeon you could fit more, however having too many domains on a single server would be considered bad management.

Hope this helps too.