Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

newbie lookin for advise

Hi Everyone,

I have been reading the forums for days and I still a not sure of where I should host my site. I have a small automotive repair business that I made a website for. There is very little traffic that goes there, because most people dont even know about it . I currently host the site at my house on a DSL line and wanted to get it somewhere where I can make more of it. I kinda just made it, just to see if I could and how hard it would be to do. I also have a email server program running on the server also(workgroup mail). Basically I want to move it to a reliable hosting company so I dont have to have a server at home and worry about security and all the hassle's of having it. I didnt want to spend alot to host it, but I dont want problems either. I registered the domain with DirectNic.com and use there DNS to point it to my server. So any thoughts on where I should host my site?

Thanks everyone

Hello Jonson,
    Welcome i am sure you can find a cheap and reliable host to host your brand new site. It would be easier for all of us (WHT users) to help you if you could give us more information about your needs, i.e. DiskSpace, Bandwidth current usage and expecting and your budged.

Hope we can find a home for your site very soon, cheers!

Thanks for the wuick reply, I will like to spend under $10 per month. As far as disk space and bandwith I dont know because like I said it is hosted at home and very little traffic.

Thanks

Many of hosts can accomodate you with that budged, so I belive it will not be difficult for you to find a host for your website. Give it a try on the SEARCH button (even tho you mentioned you have surfed this web for awhile now).

Good luck

Good call to host it out, you'll save on electricity bills and wear and tear.

Little traffic is very subjective, it could mean a lot to different people. I think you could start with something like 200-400mb and 3-6GB You definitely can get this for less than $10/month.
    OCEAN HOST
    www.ocean-host.com
    Get Online. Reach Worldwide.
    Check our uptime

take a look to some hosts that may fit your hosting needs in space and bandwidth, and other features that you may be looking for (like control panel, OS, etc).

Once you got a list of them, research here and in google about their reputation, don't be afraid of ask about them on a new thread or in this same.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Ok thanks everyone, Does it matter where the hosting company is located? Also what does it mean when people mention resellers?

Thanks

I may does matter if the company does not offer 24/7 support or if the servers are located in a place too far from where you are (although most of the companies in this forum does have servers in the US).

Resellers are people/companies who rent a piece of space and bandwidth from another company and re-sell that space to another people.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Hi jonson69, welcome! I know it's a little work, but what I usually advise people is to go through these forums and pick a handfull of hosts. For you I would say to start off with a small or starter plan, you can always upgrade. Then take these handfull, and going through their plans, contact them and ask a few questions. Doing that will tell you several things including how fast they respond, how friendly and how much their willing to help you. You mentioned you were new to all this so you'll want someone that will give you that extra attention.
    When you come up with your original list of possibilities, ask us about them. Just stay away from the ones that offer to much, remember, you get what you pay for. Check out the offers section also. Best of luck.
    Jim - 2Macs H-Sphere Web Hosting
    Since 2001 - H-Sphere Clustered Shared Linux & Windows Hosting
    Fully Managed Services| Custom Web Designs
    Unconditional, 30 Day Money back Guarantee!

You could check the site size too since you already have it built. Look at your local copy, you should be able to right click on the folder to see the size of the site.
    My guess is you would not need anymore than 100mb space.
    Be sure to email any potential host though before signing up!
    It will be very simple since you already have your domain name registered. Once you receive your account info from your new host then all you will need to do is update your domain record and you're good to go.
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

Hi, The size of my web site is 25mb. What do you guys think of ixwebhosting?

Thanks

Do yourself a favor, a search about ixwebhosting in this forum

Ok, so they seem to be that good from what I read. There seems to be way to many out there to choose from. It seems when I find one and read about them that they arent that great. Can someone mention some names that they are happy with and I should look at?

Thanks Everyone

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by jonson69
    Ok, so they seem to be that good from what I read. There seems to be way to many out there to choose from. It seems when I find one and read about them that they arent that great. Can someone mention some names that they are happy with and I should look at?
    Hostgator, Wirenine, Hostingzoom
    Got Fused?

Quote Originally Posted by Siropel
    Hostgator, Wirenine, Hostingzoom
    Great, thank you. All these look good, anyone have comments on which to use?

Thanks evevyone

Quote Originally Posted by jonson69

Thanks Everyone

Tom

Thats the pecuilar thing about this forum (especially for newbies) as there is not a seperate section for reviews but rather they are all mixed in through the various forums. Just by browsing the forums sometimes you can see reviews but then its always best to use the search tool. Your needs are modest and it will be an average size site. Remember though to email potential hosts.
    There are too many to pick from and its normal to be overwhelmed. Also you have to keep in mind alot of us members ARE web hosts too. Its against forum rules to just recommend various co. unless you have first hand knowledge about said host (as in actually using ones services)
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

Hosted a small autoparts site in the past and yes you're right, you dont need a whole lot of either space nor bandwidth. Especially if the site is strictly html based.

You might like to consider uptime as your main priority as a business site. You can deffinitely get what you're looking for for under $10 a month (and that will most likely include extras you could find handy as the site developes)

As for datacenter location, it shouldnt matter for a small site but if you intend on growing I would recommend going with a central datacenter (you can never go wrong with central)

Good luck in the search, its usually the hardest part
    Kdoubt.net - Gameing discussion, arcade, all around good fun

I was thinking of going with wirenine, but there support doesnt seem good. I tried the live chat twice and no one answered..I just want to find the right one to choose. any other thoughts?

Thanks everyone

From what we see (25MB site) you need a small hosting package with low price. Use Jim2Macs's advice, e-mail the host with the questions that are of your interest once you can have lined up 2-3 hosting company's and you will certainly help you decide wich host is for you.

Hi, hope your search for a web host is going good. Be sure to ask them lots of questions about their services, reputation and uptime records..

Hope this helps!

I still cant decide, there are to many to pick from....

ok! $10 pm is preety good amount, dreamhost, bluehost, hostgator , asmallorange seems popular these days. i highly recommend you these host.

Do you have a shortlist of your potential hosts?
    Did you tried to contact them about any doubts that you may have?

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito
    Do you have a shortlist of your potential hosts?
    Did you tried to contact them about any doubts that you may have?
    thats the problem, they all seem good. It is like a kid at a candy store...dont know which to pick.

Thanks everyone

Pick a candy that doesnt really cost much, but has a good name and its been on the market for a bit already. (doesnt cost much, referring to not be sorry if you won't like the taste of the candy).
    You need to make up your mind, you need to...you have to... just teasing

Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast