Question Host Suggestions

Hi all, I have been wrestling with the issue of selecting a new hosting company and was hoping that you guys might be able to give some suggestions that fit what I'm looking for. I am currently hosting my personal website at ixwebhosting.com and am fairly satisfied with their service. It's not great, but it's a good value, and I haven't had horrible problems with them. Their server response times haven't been great lately though, and I'm not very happy with their database response times either. I recently finished development of a new website for a home theater speaker company that uses PHP and MySQL that is basically a product driven database.

I'm trying to recommend a hosting provider for them that will be sufficient without breaking their bank. I don't believe they would want to pay for a dedicated server, but I think that would be the best solution. I'm looking for a backup plan now. I was looking at hostgator, but I learned from their technical support that all of their shared plans limit the number of concurrent MySQL connections to 25. That's probably not a problem for too many people, but it could be an issue for them. I just don't know how much traffic they will receive. Their products are sold at retailers and on Amazon.com so I presume they will get a good bit of traffic.

Here is what I'm looking for:
    A reliable host that is easy to deal with. Good technical support because after I turn the site over to them they will have a limited technical staff. Good bandwith and storage, but most importantly good server response times. Also, a host that won't mind if they end up with more than 25 current DB connections. I am using page caching in my code so that will reduce server load, but I can only do so much.

Are there any shared servers out there that will be sufficient, or are we really going to have to move to a dedicated solution.

Thanks for your input.

I would suggest checking out sites of web hosts here and looking in the offers section. Also, read some reviews and try out control panel demo sites to see what you will get with the host you are considering. A 30-day money back guarantee is always good, so you may try it out with your particular needs.

Chris
    Christopher J Smallwood
    Gay-Owned Web Hosting with 10% Donated to Youth!
    VertuHost Web Hosting Solutions

How much space are you going to use? Bandwidth (aprox)?
    Any control panel of preference?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Also, what kind of budget do you have for this project? Generally - a dedicated solution isn't really needed if it's a smallish site.
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

I'm not sure what their budget will be right now, but I would like to get by under about $30 per month if possible. I have a feeling they won't want to spend the $100 or so a month for dedicated. Unfortunately I don't really have any data for their current traffic levels. They are hosted by a local ISP right now that's pretty bare bones. If I had to guess I would say they are probably in the 1000 user per day range, but I don't know. Their current site is horrible so hopefully their traffic will increase soon. As some measure, their google page rank is 5 if that means anything. The goal is obviously to significantly grow their business with this overhaul.

Quote Originally Posted by ct_user
    I'm not sure what their budget will be right now, but I would like to get by under about $30 per month if possible. I have a feeling they won't want to spend the $100 or so a month for dedicated. Unfortunately I don't really have any data for their current traffic levels. They are hosted by a local ISP right now that's pretty bare bones. If I had to guess I would say they are probably in the 1000 user per day range, but I don't know. Their current site is horrible so hopefully their traffic will increase soon. As some measure, their google page rank is 5 if that means anything. The goal is obviously to significantly grow their business with this overhaul.
    I would say that $30/month is more than sufficient for a reliable/decent host. I would also look into a host that doesn't oversell their resources as this can cause slowdowns in response time and other issues.

Hope this helps....
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

There is a lot of web hosting review... just type "web hosting review and ranking" in google search it will help to look for what you want...

hope this help
    best regards,
    loon
    Webhostforasp.net Support Team
    http://www.webhostforasp.net

Have you determined the requirements for the site?
    That may help you narrow your options.

- Craig
    Craig
    Site Host City
    Web Hosting Community and Support
    www.sitehostcity.com