Question Advice for Joomla Hosting

I need some advice on selecting the right host for a Joomla based website. The host I was initially signed up with was excellent at first but quality has gone down lately and there is too much downtime + loss of data.

Can anyone here recommend me a good host with fantastico or specializing in joomla hosting? I've searched everywhere, there are many hosting companies, with mixed reviews, but what I'm really looking for is if someone can recommend me a hosting from personal experience...

I don't need to much space.. like 1 gb will do, I have a budget of $10 or less per month, but need a lot of reliability.

How much bandwidth do you need?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Bandwidth 10GB

and yes, i'd prefer something thats month-to-month or quarterly
    Last edited by therjv; 10-18-2006 at 02:16 PM.

You should be fine with that budget for your needs.
    I recommend you to research about the hosts of your choice here << removed >>

Regards
    Last edited by writespeak; 12-17-2006 at 04:00 PM.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito
    You should be fine with that budget for your needs.
    I don't know if I neccessarily agree with that, especially when your talking about Application-Based Hosting....
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

1 GB of Space and 10 GB of bandwith usually can be covered by $10.
    Even the company that you represent charge about that (a bit more, but in the same range)

1 GB of Space and 10 GB of bandwith usually can be covered by $10.
    Even the company that you represent charge about that (a bit more, but in the same range)
    Jedito,

Yes - but what kind of server density are you talking about in relations to the space/bandwidth for $10?
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

That depend from provider to provider.
    Some may have 800 accounts on the same server, and some other less than 100. I can't talk about other companies, but without trying to make this a sales speech, we put less than 100 accounts (not domains) per server.

That depend from provider to provider.
    Some may have 800 accounts on the same server, and some other less than 100.
    Thank you for making my point for me .

Quote Originally Posted by mripguru
    Thank you for making my point for me .
    To charge more does not necessarily means less account per server, if that is what you're trying to imply.

To charge more does not necessarily means less account per server, if that is what you're trying to imply.
    You are correct - but there has been a proven corrolation between account fees and server density (ala all the infamous oversellers). This is not always the case, however. YMMV.

Actually, we charge "a bit more" then double that for those specifications.

I don't need to much space.. like 1 gb will do, I have a budget of $10 or less per month, but need a lot of reliability.
    You can probably find decent Application Hosting for that price range. However, you may sacrifice a bit on backups and data redundancy. Alot of businesses that rely on these applications and are constantly developing them, adding to them and manipulating them require many restore points of their data. 1GB of diskspace is a fair amount - and when we are talking diskspace, we are not only talking disk space on a server. Backups are the most costly aspect of diskspace. For example, we keep 30 days worth of daily backups - now, using compression and differential backup technology, that 1 GB of disk space on our backup array will utilize roughly 3-5 GB of disk space - so, when you buy 1 GB of disk space, you are really buying 4-5 GB of disk space. Hence the cost difference. Similarily, if you purchase an account with 1 GB of disk space, with a company that backs of daily or weekly and overwrites their previous backup, etc - then you are buying (taking into account compression) maybe 1-1.75 GB of disk space - hence the cost difference. (and we have yet to take into consideration data redundancy like RAID for example)

So, your budget is fine, however, make sure you keep your own backups (which is always good advise anyway) - and if you are doing constant development and or changes to your site, take frequent backups so that you have multiple restore points of all files and data base instances if required.
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

thanks cartika.. i'm not really so concerned about the backups as I'd be doing my own daily backups using joomla components (like you suggested).

I've already had a couple of bad experiences where hosting co have guaranteed daily, weekly and monthly backups, but I still ended up losing so much data that either its false claims.. or simply poor service. But yes, I wouldn't generalize that.

server density etc.. not too keen to get into so much detail.. as long its reliable with a good track record of websites working fine.. im happy.. so lets keep it short n simple.. thanks for the suggestion guys..

any recommendations on companies?

I've already had a couple of bad experiences where hosting co have guaranteed daily, weekly and monthly backups, but I still ended up losing so much data that either its false claims.. or simply poor service. But yes, I wouldn't generalize that.
    and that is the issue exactly isnt it diskspace is really expensive, especially when you are doubling, tripling or even more the disk space sold via backups - and frankly, too many companies simply do not take into account these costs and their backups are sub par - even if their service is good.

As for a hosting recommendation for Joomla - sure...

http://www.rochenhost.com/

they host the entire Joomal project. Good company, good reputation and have been around quite awhile.

Hope this helps...
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

Actually, we charge "a bit more" then double that for those specifications.
    My mistake, I thought that the exchange rate was like 2x1 between US Dollars and Canadian Dollars.