Thread: VPS specs

VPS specs

Looking to purchase a VPS plans (please don`t bomb my PM box with hosting offers!). I have about seven statics css/html based sites low traffic, plus two invision forums that are also relatively low traffic which peak at around 15-20 users online at once.

Obviously I have plans to expand the client base from seven sites, and I may wish to add a simple chat script such as flash chat to one of the forums.

The sticking point, I am unsure what kind of VPS specs I would need to comfortably run the above without sending smoke billowing from the node!!!!

I`ve heard everything from a 128mb VPS will be just fine, to you`ll need at least 512mb of ram!

Oh, my clients are currently on cpanel, so I would prefer to stick with that. Also I would like to install a firewall, eccelorator and the usual security/monitoring scripts.

I`m leaning toward a 192mb package with burstable ram to 768mb and equal share cpu. Would I be pushing it too much with that?

You can't even have CPanel installed on < 256MB.

I'd recommend a 256MB VPS for no control panels, or 384/512MB for with cpanel. Cpanel is a bloatware which takes a hell lot of memory.

Keep in mind that services such as Apache and MySQL all take a certain amount of resource. :-)
    DevOps!

Quote Originally Posted by Canglan

I'd recommend a 256MB VPS for no control panels, or 384/512MB for with cpanel. Cpanel is a bloatware which takes a hell lot of memory.

Keep in mind that services such as Apache and MySQL all take a certain amount of resource. :-)
    cPanel can run fine on a VPS with less then 256 (min ram) if the server has the resources to allow bursting of RAM. On a server that isn't oversold or filled to capacity and enough burst RAM available it will work just fine. This is a fact. Of course if you use all the "extra's" cPanel comes with and don't optimize your VPS then cPanel will use about 140 MB of RAM. Bottomline is this depends on how the server is being used and what resources are made available for your customers.

Also, you need to factor in the Virtualization technology as I am referencing how Virtuozzo works. Xen is different.

Jay
    Last edited by KnownHost; 10-18-2006 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Canglan
    That's an exaggeration :-)

I've got PHP/Perl, MySQL, Apache, PureFTPd and CPanel installed and running on 160-200 megs with light-moderate traffic. Yes it's tweaked, but CPanel still doesn't use that much

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/server3.php

TZ

Quote Originally Posted by mesobob
    I have about seven statics css/html based sites low traffic, plus two invision forums

I`ve heard everything from a 128mb VPS will be just fine
    That's completely ridiculous. Whoever told you that clearly doesn't know what they are talking about.

IMO you'll need *bare minimum* 384 just for the two forum installs. 512 would likely be better though as your host might complain and ask you to upgrade. Kind of borderline there.

TZ

based on my experience I would not run a cpanel vps on anything smaller then 256MB ram. If they will host moderate to heavy mysql/php I would recommend 512MB ram vps for cpanel that is.

Quote Originally Posted by TotalZen
    That's completely ridiculous. Whoever told you that clearly doesn't know what they are talking about.
    Not quite. Few static sites, and two low traffic forum -- I'll say a 128Mb Xen would have no problem handling it, with lighttpd, 4-5 PHP FastCGI slaves, well tuned MySQL, and without any panel, etc. It can be had for $10-$20 a month according to plans listed on VPSChoice.com.

However a low memory vanilla VPS will take quite a bit of work to set it up properly. Otherwise, $10-$20 a month would buy you plenty of well-managed shared hosting.

Scott.