Server going down

we have around more than 10 systems in one network. All of them are windows servers except one server. we loaded RedHat 7.2 in that....but its going down rarely....generally every 2 days......But the system is working fine...and network too....its not even hanging...then we need to restart the system or we have to use

ifdown eth0
    ifup eth0 .......commands...

we alloted only one IP address to that system.

what could be the problem.....does anyone faced this problem....I configured more than 20 servers but I never faced this sort of problem !!!
    Last edited by raj4800; 06-18-2002 at 01:50 AM.

Check for bad RAM in the server. Try switching it in with some other RAM and see if it still crashes. It is basically a trial and error proccess.
    Chris Adams - CEO - Rochen Ltd. - chris (at) rochen (dot) com

Now offering both US & UK premium business hosting, reseller hosting and managed virtualized services.
    rochen.com | rochen.co.uk | blog.rochen.com | forums.rochen.com | Twitter: @rochenhost

I dont think its the problem with the RAM bcoz I completly changed the system....but the current one is little bit better than the old one....If the problem is with RAM then the system should hang but its not.....

It's not configured for DHCP or anything like that is it?
    Joel Strellner

Lightbulb Checked the logs?

Just a hunch ... have you done a 'dmesg' to see if anything unusual appears, or have you checked /var/log/messages around the time that the problem appears?

Dan
    Dan Esparza
    CagedTornado web services

run /etc/init.d/network restart , then tail /var/log/messages - check for any out of the ordinary errors. As well like the previouse poster mentioned, check dmesg for errors as well as the boot.log in /var/log.

also prior to the instances when you have to restart the network , check /var/log/messages for errors with the eth adapter (e.g: transmit timeout errors , etc..).
    Ryan MacDonald
    Lead Administrator | TotalChoice Hosting
    Choice Does Matter! | Serving over 26,000 clients

Hi.

I once ran into a situation, which might be similar to this. On one of my server, i had installed redhat7.2 default server install, but every 2 days, the network seem to disappear suddenly, without any logs or error messages. Once we did /etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart, it was normal again. It seemed that something triggered the network not to work, thought eth0 was active. Out first solution was that we tried network restart from crontab every 1 day, but later that problem seem to grow and it was more frequent, almost 4-8 times a day.
    We changed the RAM first, then the network card, which still did not solved the problem. Finally a motherboard change was what did the trick, as moving the network card to another slot or getting a new card was not of any help.

Hope this helps

Experienced OpenStack Admin For Hire
    regular as admin0 on freenode IRC on #openstack and #openstack-ansible channels

My problem was ram, if you boot with the noathlon flag it seemed to clear it up.

I dunno how but suddenly its working fine....I restarted many times whenever the went down...but its fine rfom past 10 days.... Anyway thank your guys..