Help Needed: Serve Overload to 100

I desperately need some help from this community. My server was overloaded to an extremely high level --> over 100 and at one time reached 200. It virtually freezed my server. I had to reboot it.

The problem was caused by many "Exim" processes running by user "mailnull" and "root". I had to shut down the Exim service and even disable the exim program. However, as long as I restarted the Exim service, many exim processess come up like crazy and pushed the server load to 100 in seconds.

I do not know if someone is attacking my server, or something was compromised within my server. After I shut down Exim, the server load was down to below 0.1. But I can not use the emails now.

Please tell me what maight be the potential problems and how to check it and stop it.

Hong Kong
    Just check what exim is doing, perhaps somebody is spamming from your server. Whats the server used for ?

I already disabled "sendmail" program since yesterday. Is there other program can be used for sending emails out from the sever? I do not know why the program "exim" was run by two users "mailnull" and "root".

did you fix this ?