Alwayswebhosting down?

I just try to access their site, the forum is down, site is down, my sites are down...so I am wondering if I am the only one affected or? Thanks a lot.

Its up for me
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!

Fine for me too...

It's ok from Aussie Bob's PC.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

All okay from here in the UK
    Chris Adams - CEO - Rochen Ltd. - chris (at) rochen (dot) com

Now offering both US & UK premium business hosting, reseller hosting and managed virtualized services.
    rochen.com | rochen.co.uk | blog.rochen.com | forums.rochen.com | Twitter: @rochenhost

What's new.

Yesterday the site was completely down most of the day to add to troubles.
    The last straw for me.
    AlwaysWebHosting is bogus.

It is another of those that offered unlimited bandwidth with no intention of providing even high usage.

I signed up for 12 months after all the AWH raves here from Ronnie and others.

No sooner did I get on there then Ronnie T Moore sends me an E-mail asking me to pay double for high usage.
    60GB
    I said its unlimited
    Ill pay for two servers and split the data
    OR
    Ill use my old server to take the load.

He never replied but later I find my server is not working properly and downloads incomplete.

Now I use 5GB in the month I E-mail him to report the ongoing download fault.

As you know support is only of any use when you have a problem
    You dont use support if everything works.
    This is the reply I got from Ronnie T Moore who proclaimed to be the champion of support in here with others backing him up.

"
    I don't see any problems with the server in regard to partial
    downloads... I've tried downloading many files and do not experience any
    similar results from your site. I don't have a solution at this time,
    and you may want to host elsewhere.
    "

That's support

I came in here and asked about this and someone suggested it was a config file.
    I sent this information to Ronnie and he stopped replying.
    He doesnt have to I paid him 12 months in advance and now Im being told to bugger off.

I have screen shots of the bad site pages showing and plenty of E-mail complaints from visitors.

Ive also asked him to remove aliases of domans I intended to move there.
    No action
    The only thing he has managed to do was fix the logs after I found the log files had swallowed up my entire disk space.
    I use about 60MB and the 150MB was all gone.

In short only fixed what was crippling it and left the rest as is.

He and others made an effort to use this forum to promote AWH and so I feel it only right to state the facts about what you get for your money in here.

The 60GB limit at AWH was because of my usage he never intended to provide unlimited or even high usage sites he just advertised the fact to con people into signing up
    And I was royally had from the look of things.

In the terms of use he made claims he can handle some high usage sites as most are not and so I accepted that as being no hidden terms, well the fact is he cant handle 5GB per mnth.

I am in the process of choosing another host by making repeated requests over a few weeks to see who replies and if they are still here next time so at least Ill know they are genuine, Ive already got a Bad Juju once from here but that is not the fault of the forum just the way I read it

My other host is OzHosting and Ive been there for 3 years but there is a change of ownership 12 months ago and they are getting a bit silly on a few things, not there on weekends and we have a lot of public holidays they are not there (no more 24/7 support and more like the public service), this is why I need a new host and why I used AWH.

Ive used supprt of OzHosting about 5 times in 3 years but when needed it was just not there anymre, new management.

Big mistake was moving my main domains to AWH to begin I should have moved the secondary ones I have (all same content.)
    The same content all works fine on OzHosting who are at RackSpace I beleive.

Anyway If you are considering AWH for a site that has any traffic worth mentioning or you reply on for income, dont use AWH.
    Fine until you have a problem then you will be told to bugger off if you have one.
    Use someone who doesnt offer deals they never intend to provide or provide in a form that is simply dead for most who use it.

There are plenty more in here that appear to be far more reputable to their word.

Regards
    Dave.

Hi folks,
    thanks for the replies. I am now able to access the sites with a different proxy (anoynomous), but it still won't work with my own proxy. This problem keeps coming up, I can still surf to anysites (like WHT) but I just can't get to AWH, nor my sites hosted on AWH. Does anyone know what is the possible cause of this? My ISP is equally buffled about this situation. -_-...

Great, the problem is gone, I can access all the sites from my proxy now.

Just as an FYI:

We have a couple servers at RackShack (as well as elsewhere) to compliment our own datacenter. Yesterday afternoon I was made aware of some network difficulties RackShack was having that likely caused your downtime. Since our servers on that section of the network are again accessible I'd assume the issue was resolved.

Sincerely,

-Matt

Originally posted by BirdCage

Anyway If you are considering AWH for a site that has any traffic worth mentioning or you reply on for income, dont use AWH.
    Fine until you have a problem then you will be told to bugger off if you have one.
    Use someone who doesnt offer deals they never intend to provide or provide in a form that is simply dead for most who use it.
    Did you really expect them to provide 60gb's of transfer for $9.95?

Originally posted by Myacen

That seems to be the going rate these days.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

Originally posted by Myacen

Are you saying that AWH falsely advertises? Though I would not recommend them.

Originally posted by Curtis H.

Are you saying that AWH falsely advertises? Though I would not recommend them.
    No but considering they have 400gb's bw from Rackshack, and each client say used 50gb's of traffic.

400/50 = 8clients per server.

9.95 * 8 = $79.60 per server, making a loss on server. Plus staff and extra expenses.

Well, actually AWH has more than just the $9.95 plan and that goes up to $24.95 for the non-reseller plan and the reseller's plan cost a lot more.

Besides what they have is spread over 11 servers and expanding. I am sure Ronnie worked out his maths before implementing those plans and I am sure he knows what he is doing.

Unless others, all plans come with the same 60gb max bandwidth and no one is supposed to exploit the low cost by purchasing two or more plans. So if you need more space, you upgrade the plans but bandwidth quota maintains.

I am sure that there is a good mix of plans on each server.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

works fine for me
    Trevor MacGill
    www.hostcharge.com
    Visit our Forums: http://forums.hostcharge.com

Originally posted by eddy2099

Unless others, all plans come with the same 60gb max bandwidth and no one is supposed to exploit the low cost by purchasing two or more plans. So if you need more space, you upgrade the plans but bandwidth quota maintains.

I am sure that there is a good mix of plans on each server.
    Pardon my ignorance, but why is this exploitive? What's the difference between one person taking up 3 accounts and 3 different people taking up 3 accts?

Pardon my ignorance, but why is this exploitive? What's the difference between one person taking up 3 accounts and 3 different people taking up 3 accts?
    Okay, at AWH, all the plans come with a 60gb bandwidth allocation. So if you sign up for the basic plan you get 150mb web space + 60gb bandwidth and pay $9.95 .

If you sign up for the Platinium Plan, you get 2000mb web space + 60gb bandwidth and pay $24.95 .

At AWH, you can set up as many domains or subdomains that you want provided it does not exceed the total allocated web space and bandwidth.

But if you are allowed to set up 3 basic plan, you will get web space of 450mb (150 x 3) + 180gb (60 x 3) bandwidth and pay a total of just $29.85 ($9.95 x 3). Don't you think that would be exploiting the system ?

Bandwidth, even Rachshack bandwidth would ultimately come with a price. Harddisk on the other hand is cheap.

These plans are Personal Plans and not Resellers plans.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

No

that is smart buying.

Don't you think that would be exploiting the system ?

No. Not at all. Why? Because it isn't. It's perfectly okay to oversell your resources to some extent, but if you can't provide what you offer, then don't offer it.

If I use my 60gigs bandwidth that I am allowed in the terms of service and then get another account and use 60 more gigs of bandwidth, how on earth is that possibly different than some other bloke showing up and opening an account and using the same 60gigs that I would have used on my second account?

I'll tell ya how it's different...it isn't different at all. Unless you can't deliver what you're promising the person who buys your product...

Birdcage: Thanks for the warning about AlwaysWebHosting. Do not expect that much b/w for that low price. However, it's the host's responsibility to live up to what they promise. Someone posted here awhile back about AlwaysWebHosting overselling. It was only a matter of time before someone tested it, and it came back to bite them. Better luck with your next host.
    Last edited by chrisb; 06-18-2002 at 02:28 AM.

Hi there,

We fully honor the 60 GB/month plan, we have and always will. Ask around, we have quite a few sites using a LOT of bandwidth.I NEVER emailed birdcagesoft.com asking him to pay for overages. We don't allow clients to simply purchase another plan to get 60 more GB of bandwidth however.

As I explained via email, I frankly couldn't and still can't find the cause of the partial graphic download birdcagesoft.com mentioned, believe me I've tried. I haven't had any other reports of this to substantiate it as a problem, but have checked everything imaginable. I told him he may want to select another host as we weren't able to resolve the graphics-loading-incompletely issue.

If Birdcage's post here is to put down AWH, that's his own perogative I guess. Our pricing is sound, and our business plan works. We are successful, profitable, and have a TON of happy clients.

If you have any other specific concerns please let me know off the forums, ronnie@...
    Ronnie T. Moore, Founder/Owner
    AlwaysWebHosting.com Friendly, feature-packed Cpanel hosting, that can't be beat!
    cPanel 11 Fantastico Multiple-Domain hosting (Host up to 25 domains with one account!)
    Sales/Support via phone, email, help desk, forums, FAQ's, instant messenger, live chat

That was really more an argument on a moral level really. Not totally directed at AWH.

Originally posted by Drewcifer
    If I use my 60gigs bandwidth that I am allowed in the terms of service and then get another account and use 60 more gigs of bandwidth, how on earth is that possibly different than some other bloke showing up and opening an account and using the same 60gigs that I would have used on my second account?
    It's different because AWH will be taking the chance that the "other bloke" wont use the whole 60GB. However since you have already used 60GB on your first account there is a good chance you could use the same on your second account. If they allowed everyone to signup multiple accounts and use the full 60GB on every account, I doubt they would be here. That is what overselling is all about.

We don't personally oversell because I think somewhere along the line you will be caught out. However, this model seems to work well for a lot of companies and I wish them the best of luck

Now offering both US & UK premium business hosting, reseller hosting and managed virtualized services.
    rochen.com | rochen.co.uk | blog.rochen.com | forums.rochen.com | Twitter: @rochenhost

We don't allow clients to simply purchase another plan to get 60 more GB of bandwidth however.
    So if this is the case, then people should just sign up under another name and host their other sites to take advantage of your *advertised* 60 GBs. This reminds me of those places that give some tremendous deal on widgets, but have a caveat like 3 per person. Well, just send your friends in to buy more.

Originally posted by UmBillyCord

So if this is the case, then people should just sign up under another name and host their other sites to take advantage of your *advertised* 60 GBs. This reminds me of those places that give some tremendous deal on widgets, but have a caveat like 3 per person. Well, just send your friends in to buy more.
    Tricky.
    Ronnie T. Moore, Founder/Owner
    AlwaysWebHosting.com Friendly, feature-packed Cpanel hosting, that can't be beat!
    cPanel 11 Fantastico Multiple-Domain hosting (Host up to 25 domains with one account!)
    Sales/Support via phone, email, help desk, forums, FAQ's, instant messenger, live chat

Seriously, I do not see why one should cheat the system ? Terms of conditions are there for one to agree upon prior to purchase.

When I signed up with any host, not just AWH, when I affirm to the terms and conditions set by the merchant, I would do everything within my ability to comply to them. I would not find some ways to go around the system. Clearly by going around the system would thus not be fair to the parties involved and for my conscience.

Maybe I naive but I don't think it is fair to cheat any system. By keeping within the rules, you create a Win-Win situation in which all parties involved would benefit. At least that was the way I was brought up.

By keeping within the rules, you create a Win-Win situation in which all parties involved would benefit. At least that was the way I was brought up.
    Agreed

Terms and Conditions, Terms of Use, AUPs or whatever name you want to give them are there for a purpose. They are there so the host doesn't get abused by the clients, i.e. using there service to host warez etc. and they are also there to protect the client. I think Edwin sums this up pretty well

Another point but along the same lines, people should always read the policies before signing up with a host. It is a binding contract explaining what your obligations are to each other. I think a lot of people over look this.

I would have to say that widgets are different as they are 'inventory' and the limit is placed not so that the store doesn't sell as many to a single person, but so that more people can buy them. One rich guy buying all 300 of those widgets is going to leave 100 people who wanted 3 unhappy. But yea, I agree to your general point about just sending in friends to purchase, or using different billing/contact/account information.

I see no reason why you can't purchase 2 seperate accounts for the extra space and bandwidth. My cell phone company (who I often compare in my head to web hosting with all these MINUTES! floating around) surely won't mind if I get 2 seperate accounts over using a "family plan"-type of thing. Same applies to the phone company (cheaper to get a second line than a second account), or any other service-based industry (including webhosting!). To me, as a consumer, it would leave me wondering.

[edit]
    Also, it's not called cheating. It's called business. It's called smart buying (as was mentioned here before, I think). Would you pay $20 a month to upgrade from 150 megs to 250 megs when you can just get another account for $10 a month and get 150 extra megs instead of only 100 *plus more bandwidth*? I know I wouldn't. And if my host (or whatever industry) wouldn't let me get the better price, I'd go elsewhere. I like getting the most for my money, not the least.
    [/edit]
    Alex Llera
    Professional Server Management
    FreeBSD|Linux|HSphere|Cpanel|Plesk

eddy2099 and rochen, true idealist.

Rules and Terms are worthless without a means to enforce them. If you can not enforce them, then why have them? If you offer something that is a great deal, then you will attract people not so *idealistic*. That is the nature of the beast. How do you defend this? Offer something that will not break the bank or system if it is broken - knowing human nature is to try and maximize opportunities, or change the offer to attract less violators.

Most people who use pirated Windows disk for example, do not really think they are doing anything wrong. They think what is a few dollars to a billion dollar company like microsoft? Why would they carewhen a poor 16 year old runs a pirated version. They know it is wrong, but morally they can live with it. Look at Robin Hood.

So my point is, people will find ways to make a great deal even better. The better the deal, the more violators.

I would have to say that widgets are different as they are 'inventory' and the limit is placed not so that the store doesn't sell as many to a single person, but so that more people can buy them. One rich guy buying all 300 of those widgets is going to leave 100 people who wanted 3 unhappy.
    Widgets were strictly an example. You can apply it to service too. Also, BW in essence is "inventory" when you think about it.

If you can not enforce them, then why have them?
    Well I am not going to argue whether the policy can be enforced or not. However, I think it will deter people more by having it, than not having it. Therefore it serves a purpose to have it

Widgets were strictly an example. You can apply it to service too. Also, BW in essence is "inventory" when you think about it.
    Oh that's right. Too much of this 'unlimited' on my brain. I stand corrected.
    Alex Llera
    Professional Server Management
    FreeBSD|Linux|HSphere|Cpanel|Plesk

Originally posted by allera
    Too much of this 'unlimited' on my brain.
    lol, Do you guys think we could start a new scam, "diet bandwidth" or "a half fat pipe". So if someone buys a "100Mbit half fat pipe", it's really only a 50Mbit full fat pipe

Did any of that make any sense?

If anyone is intrested in getting started please drop me a line: [email protected]

I cannot disagree that the world is not perfect and the people are not as law-abiding as they should be. But we should start somewhere.

On one hand, being an Asian, I see pirated softwares available quite openly over the years, much less now but still probably available.

Unlike the western counterpart, the cost of living is so much lower and people's buying ability is not as great as the West. There are situations in which minimum wage per month in the US is more than what a person makes in Asia in a good year. At the same time to make matters worst, imported products such as softwares and internet connectivity (since we are at the subject) cost more here than in the US.

Without piracy, I do not see how Asian can excel as far as they are now. I see others use pirated softwares and so on. But who am I to judge.

My next delimma is that as a shareware developer, I have seen enough credit fraud, theft and piracy in my days. Experience the effect first hand. Of course, I do bitch about it in the beginning but who wouldn't.

If I were to condone to the act of breaking laws and as such piracy, how would I have the right conscience to require people to pay for my services.

Of course, how ever hard it is, I still cannot get myself to use pirated software. It is an issue of morals. I am not sure how one could sleep at night knowing that he breaks some laws or contractual agreement. I mean one should be break or bend laws because you can do so or because it is hard to enforce it.

I am not here to impose my morals onto anyone. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

Edwin

eddy2099 and rochen, true idealist.

Rules and Terms are worthless without a means to enforce them. If you can not enforce them, then why have them? If you offer something that is a great deal, then you will attract people not so *idealistic*. That is the nature of the beast. How do you defend this? Offer something that will not break the bank or system if it is broken - knowing human nature is to try and maximize opportunities, or change the offer to attract less violators.

Most people who use pirated Windows disk for example, do not really think they are doing anything wrong. They think what is a few dollars to a billion dollar company like microsoft? Why would they carewhen a poor 16 year old runs a pirated version. They know it is wrong, but morally they can live with it. Look at Robin Hood.

So my point is, people will find ways to make a great deal even better. The better the deal, the more violators.

At the end of the day if everyone took the approach of those who pirate the software, there would be no software to pirate