Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Not happy with LayeredTech

I've been using layeredtech for a few months now, for 1 of my 4 servers. I read some positive reviews about them here, which made me get a server there, but have to say, I'm disappointed.
    First of all, I waited longer then I was supposed to for the server install. Then when they finally installed it, I noticed the CPUs installed were an opteron 246 and 252, instead of an opteron 275. I asked them, they said they ran out and they'll swap to the 275 when they'll arrive. Then, I noticed they didn't create a swap drive. I notified them, they said they forgot and created one. After spending a lot of time and afford on the new server (setting up, moving from the old server etc..) they notified me on a "major deployment error" and said I'll be getting a new server. So after a bit I did get a new one, and had to set it up all over again from the begining and spend more time on it.
    Another thing I saw was that the file transfer speed was slow. So I had them check it, and yes, another mistake - they installed a 10 mb/s switch instead of a 100 mb/s, and had to change it.
    All that process took a few weeks, so you can imagine how much time and money I've lost.
    I should however mention that I mentioned those problems to LT and they credited me for some time.

So after all that, I was finally able to use the server normally. But still from time to time the server has some problems, such as getting stuck for no appranet problem (load is always below 1 so thats not it) and needed to be restarted.

Another small but annoying problem is with the previous server - the one they said had a "deployment error" - even though they should've brought it down, I still keep getting email notifications about it. When asking, they said it was an error and they forgot shutting it down, and will do asap. It's been a week, still no progress, and they stopped replying my ticket.

Now, I also have servers on ThePlanet and SoftLayer. ThePlanet have excellent support, great speeds and an advanced portal. SoftLayer are also good, so I'd definitely recommend them.

I'm sorry to hear that you had problems with LT, people usually post a lot of positive reviews about them.

From what you wrote I'm getting the feeling that you haven't asked them for explanations on the problems you've been facing, try ask them for clarifications and that might clear matters up
    Caro.Net: Support is everything
    Offering High Quality Dedicated Servers.

Sorry to hear about that pro-longed setup. Have you tried contacting them to see if they are willing to issue you credit for the delay in your setup? Im guessing your renewal date started from the day your server was usable? Good luck.

LayeredTech is usually pretty good.

But, it does amaze me the number of errors they make with new deployments sometimes. They take 3 days to deploy a server (when other datacenters can get you one same day) and somehow manage to miss something. You'd think with the setup fees they charge they'd have a better setup time and more accurate deployment.
    Big things coming soon

liorchen would have gone through this pain. He would have asked or got clarified much more than what he explained. It is just a feedback/warning that he wants tell us. Thanks liorchen for the feedback.
    M.Stks

liorchen,

If you can open a ticket with our support portal and make it for my attention I can look into any of the outstanding issues you may have with the host and provide further explanations for any questions that you may have.

I do not have anyway to identify you from your profile on this site or by looking up your usernames in our systems so please contact us and I can have this looked into.

Thanks,

Jeremy

A company isn't perfect and although there have been some problems with LT, they are general very respected in the industry. I recall myself ordering a Sempron 2600 but instead they gave me a 3000+ Barton. Postivie news is often left out on this forum..

Ouch. Sorry to hear about all this The good news for you is that when Jeremy hears about problems, he makes them right.

Quote Originally Posted by pergesu
    The good news for you is that when Jeremy hears about problems, he makes them right.
    That's not been our experience. We pulled all of our servers out of LT awhile ago because we got tired of the frustrations of dealing with their staff - and they still managed to incorrectly charge our credit card 3 times after we cancelled.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Sorry about your experience... I had not the best experience with them, but not that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Commit1 Anthony
    Sorry to hear about that pro-longed setup. Have you tried contacting them to see if they are willing to issue you credit for the delay in your setup? Im guessing your renewal date started from the day your server was usable? Good luck.
    As I mentioned, they did credit me. They postponed my renewal date to 22 days ahead. (15 days for the time the server didn't work + 7)
    So yeah they did try, but since then I've still had problems such as server not responding, and the worse - a ticket that is still not being resolved. It's been about a week since they last replied. I tried opening another ticket to tell them to go look at the other ticket, they said they will do it ASAP, and nothing changed. That + another downtime, is what got me to post this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by AH-Tina
    That's not been our experience. We pulled all of our servers out of LT awhile ago because we got tired of the frustrations of dealing with their staff - and they still managed to incorrectly charge our credit card 3 times after we cancelled.

--Tina
    Yes you have told people this many many many times over yet you still host your site on our servers and network. Tina you may have had issues with us in the past but to be fair it takes two to tumble and you and your staff where pushing and pulling just as hard as ours and there was communication errors on both sides.

http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsre...n=axishost.com
    http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_rep...w.axishost.com

I am done dealing with you and about our past issues you faced as you will not listen or comprimise with us. You are more then welcome to host with us at anytime and to continue to host your sites on the servers you have with us via resellers. Please keep an open mind that when you tell people how bad we are that you still continue to use our services and have been for over 10 months now. Please do not reply to counter this as I honestly do not feel like discussing it any further.

Regards,

Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by liorchen
    As I mentioned, they did credit me. They postponed my renewal date to 22 days ahead. (15 days for the time the server didn't work + 7)
    So yeah they did try, but since then I've still had problems such as server not responding, and the worse - a ticket that is still not being resolved. It's been about a week since they last replied. I tried opening another ticket to tell them to go look at the other ticket, they said they will do it ASAP, and nothing changed. That + another downtime, is what got me to post this thread.

liorchen,

I have checked our systems and I do not see any tickets opened as I requested in my last post. If you have opened a ticket please let me know the ticket number and I will have your open issues addressed and answer any other questions or concerns you may have. If you do not open a ticket or provide me another method to identify who you are I will be unable to assist you and make things right.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Well I think there is no chance of Tina NOT replying but hey I have been wrong before.

We all know of her past issues with LT but its actually quite surprising that she is still using your service given her LT bashing. I am not saying it is warranted or not just surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolRaul
    Well I think there is no chance of Tina NOT replying but hey I have been wrong before.

We all know of her past issues with LT but its actually quite surprising that she is still using your service given her LT bashing. I am not saying it is warranted or not just surprising.

Well, you're not wrong now.

Jeremy knows full well that we're hosting only a few static webpages with one of their resellers. Hosting 5 static webpages on one of his resellers servers means I never have to personally interact with LT again (I don't call delivering a server with SSH firewalled and then blaming the customer a communication problem - I call it incompetence).

Because there is no chance in the world any of our own servers are ever going to be with LT, our customers will always have a way to reach us, in case any of our providers have an outage. I'm happy to give my $6 a month to webonce.com - and let them deal with LT. The rest of my 50 or so servers I'll keep with providers who don't have a "communication" problem - like WireSix, TailorMadeServers, PullThePlug, etc..

He's trying to score points, where there are none. He likes to do that.

--Tina
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Quote Originally Posted by AH-Tina
    Well, you're not wrong now.

Jeremy knows full well that we're hosting only a few static webpages with one of their resellers. Hosting 5 static webpages on one of his resellers servers means I never have to personally interact with LT again (I don't call delivering a server with SSH firewalled and then blaming the customer a communication problem - I call it incompetence).

Because there is no chance in the world any of our own servers are ever going to be with LT, our customers will always have a way to reach us, in case any of our providers have an outage. I'm happy to give my $6 a month to webonce.com - and let them deal with LT. The rest of my 50 or so servers I'll keep with providers who don't have a "communication" problem - like WireSix, TailorMadeServers, PullThePlug, etc..

He's trying to score points, where there are none. He likes to do that.

--Tina

Well, am not trying to put you down but

interact or not interact with LT is still the same if your site is still hosted in their network... no difference with that Tina except that you are in the 3rd generation ( LT - Reseller - Tina ).

Whatever you say, you still trust LT to host your site since we all know how important our site to be online always and that is what you are doing.

If I were you, if you do not like LT anymore, remove your site from their network and start complaining again...

But for now? Your concern or problem with them doesn't make sense while still using their service? :-(

But, goodluck with whatever reasons you had :-)

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

We use Lt for our servers, and so far very happy, The only thing i would say, is it would be very good if you were assigned one person to deal wtih, as we are going to be ordering alot of servers from them, Thats the only thing .

They are very good .
    Data Republic - UK Managed Servers - Server Management - Managed Backup/R1Soft
    Follow us on Twitter to get exclusive sales & updates.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

Quote Originally Posted by net
    interact or not interact with LT is still the same if your site is still hosted in their network... no difference with that Tina except that you are in the 3rd generation ( LT - Reseller - Tina ).

Whatever you say, you still trust LT to host your site since we all know how important our site to be online always and that is what you are doing.

If I were you, if you do not like LT anymore, remove your site from their network and start complaining again...

But for now? Your concern or problem with them doesn't make sense while still using their service? :-(
    I'm not using their service. I'm using webspace for 5 static webpages from webonce.com - so that 5 pages of our 31 page website will be available should any of our other providers go down. I don't resell that space to any customer. We also don't resell reseller accounts of any kind - we have dozens and dozens of our own servers.

I never had a complaint about LT's network, as I've said before. I had huge problems with their staff, their billing procedures and being accused of not knowing how to manage our servers - only later to be told it was a mistake on their end. LT's network could be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but if I can't get customer service from them...its useless to me.

Again, I'm not a customer of LT's - I don't have to deal with them - its totally unrelated and comparing apples to oranges.

--Tina

Quote Originally Posted by LTADMIN
    liorchen,

I have checked our systems and I do not see any tickets opened as I requested in my last post. If you have opened a ticket please let me know the ticket number and I will have your open issues addressed and answer any other questions or concerns you may have. If you do not open a ticket or provide me another method to identify who you are I will be unable to assist you and make things right.

Thanks,

Jeremy
    Well if you could just look at my ticket CET-62191-582 that'd be helpful. I've already opened another ticket and asked you guys to look at it, but nothing changed.

And the problem with the old server is bigger, because I keep getting login from this old 'deployment error' server. How the heck can someone access it if it's suppose to be shut down? now I guess I should work more hours because of this problem, to change all my passwords (including vb, pp etc) since someone may have accessed my old server and had access to crucial info.

Quote Originally Posted by liorchen
    Well if you could just look at my ticket CET-62191-582 that'd be helpful. I've already opened another ticket and asked you guys to look at it, but nothing changed.

And the problem with the old server is bigger, because I keep getting login from this old 'deployment error' server. How the heck can someone access it if it's suppose to be shut down? now I guess I should work more hours because of this problem, to change all my passwords (including vb, pp etc) since someone may have accessed my old server and had access to crucial info.
    liorchen,

I have reviewed your ticket and left you my contact details so we can discuss this further. Please call me at the number I provided you in the message. As for the old host it is still online and I will have it taken down once I speak with you and get some more information. No one except yourself or our staff have accessed your host so there is no need for you to reset all of your passwords on your new server.

Please contact me back via the ticket or phone number I provided and I can get this issue resolved for you. I can not provide support via WHT.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by LTADMIN
    liorchen,

I have reviewed your ticket and left you my contact details so we can discuss this further. Please call me at the number I provided you in the message. As for the old host it is still online and I will have it taken down once I speak with you and get some more information. No one except yourself or our staff have accessed your host so there is no need for you to reset all of your passwords on your new server.

Please contact me back via the ticket or phone number I provided and I can get this issue resolved for you. I can not provide support via WHT.

Thanks,

Jeremy
    I can't find anything in the ticket, Where should I find it? As far as I see, the staff last replied on Oct 12th.

ETA: Oh sorry, found it on another ticket.
    Last edited by liorchen; 10-19-2006 at 05:43 PM.

LayeredTech has improved by leaps and bounds over the past two years. I had a lot of trouble with them a year ago, but it's been smooth sailing ever since then. They must have started hiring more intelligent people over there, because before... well, I had my doubts

All in all, we're quite happy with the 10 Mbps unmetered server we have there. Excellent network, and the support is there for you when you need it.

I had a server with LT, and I as I recall there weren't any issues..
    When I got the server it was 10mbps, which was confusing but that was fixed to 100mbps within a few hours..

I think the best way to interact with any server company is to be as clear and precise when communicating your concerns as possible, and at least with LT if you do this, you can be sure they will do their best to fix whatever issue is at hand. At least that's how I experienced it.

So, props to LT from me.

LayeredTech is absolutely horrible. I too had a few issues when they setup my server. A major issue was with the primary hard drive actings as a secondary or something to that extent. Turns out they told me the only way to fix it was to format the disk. I had just spent 12-24 hours transferring an entire server over. Luckily I had my System administrators fix the problem that LayeredTech.com created and said could only be solved by formatting.

I hate their penny-pinching, headache inducing policies, beauracracy and staff incompetence and attitude. Today, the server was down, and I had my tech staff send an email including all server information for a reboot request. They had done it on numerous occassions before, yet layeredtech felt that this time, the email account used (which has been the same as always) was not authorized.

That is just one of many incidents I've had with LayeredTech.

Frankly, their servers/uptime are pretty decent, but the administration and policies are absolutely horrible. They do not know the meaning of customer service.

I'd get my server off there ASAP except I don't want my clients to go through another server migration like they did just six months ago.

If you take anything out of this post/thread, take this: Do not use LayeredTech as your hosting provider. It seems as though they don't need your business anyway, because as a customer they treat you like crap - without fail. They obviously don't care for customer retention.
    Last edited by spikez202; 10-24-2006 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spikez202

Frankly, their servers/uptime are pretty decent, but the administration and policies are absolutely horrible. They do not know the meaning of customer service.
    Exactly what I experienced as well.

--Tina

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast