* Whats the most rediculous hosting prices you've ever seen?

I'll start. There a few companies I've come accross with just outrageous prices.

How about these web hosting prices... at $20 per 5MB account... thats quite pricey. If we were doing that and the servers were full we could potentially be making around $6 000 000.00 per month.

http://lweb.net/business.htm
    Service Description Monthly 3 Months 6 Months 12 Months Web Site (5 MB) * $20.00 $60.00 $108.00 $192.00 Additional MBs $1.00/MB/month Domain Hosting ** $10.00 $30.00 $54.00 $96.00 Domain Registration $50.00 - Internic or CA-Net Fees Extra Server Park *** $200.00 $570.00 $1080.00 $1920.00 Additional Bandwidth $4.00/100 MB/month Secure Server $25.00 $75.00 $135.00 $240.00 Web Presence **** N/A $30.00 $54.00 $96.00 Major-Domo Mailing List $200.00 - Configuration & Training *****

Heres an example of some domains ($90 for registration)
    http://lweb.ca/
    Service (.CA, .COM, .NET, .ORG, .BIZ, .INFO, .US) Setup Fee Service Fee Total http://lweb.ca/1x1.gif Registration of a First Domain $50.00 $20 per year $90.00

I just thought I'd throw that out there and see if anyone can beat those "great" prices.
    Kdoubt.net - Gameing discussion, arcade, all around good fun

I dont really see that price as rediculous. Some hosts may offer a higher level of service than others. They also may be willing to do a lot of hand holding for those prices. Not all hosts want to compete on price alone. Just because the majority of hosts here on WHT are offering crazy resources for next to nothing and could be considered "budget hosts" doesnt mean that there isnt a market for more specialized hosting. I guess it all comes down to how good you are at gaining clients from your target market.

If you ask me, no matter what level service you are getting, its still 5MB. I dont know about you, but I take pictures larger than 5MB.

and $90 for a domain is a bit steep in my oppion. Domain registration requires 0 upkeep and essentially next to zero support.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdoubt
    If you ask me, no matter what level service you are getting, its still 5MB. I dont know about you, but I take pictures larger than 5MB.

and $90 for a domain is a bit steep in my oppion. Domain registration requires 0 upkeep and essentially next to zero support.
    I pay $60/mo for bandwidth on my blackberry. While its marketed as unlimited, the fineprint says I can only do 25MB/mo. Sure you take pictures that are only 5MB, so wouldn't this qualify as absurd also?

Well this is Rogers Canada's largest blackberry package, so think about that for a few minutes. I push maybe 2-4MB/mo of bandwidth on average over my crackberry, even though I push thousands of combined data sessions (email/im/pin/ssh sessions/http browsing/emergency pages, etc.).

Not everything is as it seems, this probably isn't that far off what the average, non web-savvy business user pushes off their website. Notably these are 2002 prices, and they're on MCI bandwidth. At a low commit rate, that could be going for as much as $1000/mbps back in 2002 (in London, Ontario, over a T1 for example).

Its too bad that Rogers doesn't have a 1TB for 20$ a month plan for CrackBerry. like the MediaTemple's lowest monthly bandwidth allotance.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=555581
    “Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under
    considerable economic stress at this period in history.”

Yes, maybe it seems a little bit steeply priced, but, as rightly stated before, they may be operating successufuly with many cleints within thier up priced niche market.

It dosn't always mean that the higher the price hosting is, the less success you are going to have, it can all comes down to the service that is provided.

But never the less, yes the prices may be a little to high compared to the rest of the market.

Wow $10 a month (minimum of a 3 month purchase) for 1 MB and 150MB? That's absurd.
    HostingChoice - Shared and Reseller Hosting
    - A+ customer support & 100% no-overselling guarantee.
    - Unlimited MySQL Databases and other great features.

MSN: [email protected] AIM: HCLiveHelp02

that page was updated on

Updated March 18, 2002
    (Prices Do Not Include GST)
    ofcourse these are rediciouls prices i have seen so far in last few days ! who knows they may be giving massage free with monthly payment

You guys are getting me all wrong, im not flaming anyone! Im just curious if others have seen higher prices for this ammount of space/transfer

It says copyright 2005 at the bottom of the page also

Quote Originally Posted by HC-Josh
    It says copyright 2005 at the bottom of the page also
    I would have guessed that it said copyright 1995

You should post some low prices you have seen also, rediculous prices shouldn't only be limited to higher than average prices.

Quote Originally Posted by adam
    You should post some low prices you have seen also, rediculous prices shouldn't only be limited to higher than average prices.
    Uh well... those r common... $1 for unlimited bandwidth/space @ ebay!

But this pricing is really outrageous... haven't seen anything more expensive than this. Are they really still operating or only their site's thats still up running?

what a 1995's styled site
    |ーWe are all born to this world To meet a certain person; it must be soー|

http://www.t35.com/

Unlimited space, Unlimited transfer... $0

thats just as rediculous.

You shouldn't expect to get good hosting cheaply... but that site doesn't scream of great hosting.

If you donít like the road youíre walking on, start paving a new one.

Haha. Never thought of posting Telstra's pricing. All ISPs are expensive, well in Aussie anyway.

I wonder how good their hosting is though... hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by porcupine

Well this is Rogers Canada's largest blackberry package, so think about that for a few minutes. I push maybe 2-4MB/mo of bandwidth on average over my crackberry, even though I push thousands of combined data sessions (email/im/pin/ssh sessions/http browsing/emergency pages, etc.).
    How the heck did you pull that off? I regularly hit over 200-300MB's on the BB's I had (I'm with Bell).

With the PPC's, it went over a GB, quite a few times. Mind you, I browsed with images on, etc..

I used to have the 100$/month real unlimited EVDO data transfer, but then they capped it too 500, then 250, to follow Rogers and Telus

How much do you use for checking email twice a day?

Quote Originally Posted by anon-e-mouse
    haha wow that IS ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by joshcrick
    How much do you use for checking email twice a day?
    That would depend on wether you are checking 1000 emails a day or 5 emails a day.

If you get like 20 (text only) emails a day, youd be using about 20kb a day, times 30 divided by 1000 equals roughly the ammount of bandwidth you will use a month.

Feel free to correct my math. Its early and I havnt had my coffee yet.

Do they have a customer base at all? Or do they just prey on technologically illiterate folks?
    Sarcasm, the 6th Ponyman of the Apocalypse.
    Please do not inquire about Tim, the 5th Ponyman.

If i could charge $105.00 Setup fee and $3959.40 a year for 1.5GB Believe me I would. I agree this is a tad rediculous.

Perhaps you should learn to properly spell the word "ridiculous" if you're going to continue to use it to refer to other companies and the business models that they've decided work for them.

Those prices may be expensive to some and cheap to others, if the type of service warrants that price than more power to them.

I'll start. There a few companies I've come accross with just outrageous prices.

How about these web hosting prices... at $20 per 5MB account... thats quite pricey. If we were doing that and the servers were full we could potentially be making around $6 000 000.00 per month.

http://lweb.net/business.htm
    Service Description Monthly 3 Months 6 Months 12 Months Web Site (5 MB) * $20.00 $60.00 $108.00 $192.00 Additional MBs $1.00/MB/month Domain Hosting ** $10.00 $30.00 $54.00 $96.00 Domain Registration $50.00 - Internic or CA-Net Fees Extra Server Park *** $200.00 $570.00 $1080.00 $1920.00 Additional Bandwidth $4.00/100 MB/month Secure Server $25.00 $75.00 $135.00 $240.00 Web Presence **** N/A $30.00 $54.00 $96.00 Major-Domo Mailing List $200.00 - Configuration & Training *****

Heres an example of some domains ($90 for registration)
    http://lweb.ca/
    Service (.CA, .COM, .NET, .ORG, .BIZ, .INFO, .US) Setup Fee Service Fee Total http://lweb.ca/1x1.gif Registration of a First Domain $50.00 $20 per year $90.00

I just thought I'd throw that out there and see if anyone can beat those "great" prices.
    Microsoft web hosting is pretty expensive.

$12.95/month - 100mb space, 5gb bandwidth, 15 e-mails
    $24.95/month - 200mb space, 10gb bandwidth, 30 e-mails
    $49.95/month - 350mb space, 20gb bandwidth, 60 e-mails.

Rip off

I wonder if they actually get customers for that price.