I need some help

Hi

I dont know much about web hosting and with all this information about web hosting i'm getting really confused. Im looking to set up a website with future e-commerce capabilities that will have between 500GB to 1TB bandwidth per month (i dont have a preference as to the size of disk space) I'm trying to find out which type of hosting would be more suited for this (cos im getting confused trying to figure out whats shared, dedicated, virtual and ecommerce) and what kind of price would i be looking at. thanks in advance

Your traffic is going to consume between 500GB and 1TB of bandwidth as soon as the site is operational?
    HostingChoice - Shared and Reseller Hosting
    - A+ customer support & 100% no-overselling guarantee.
    - Unlimited MySQL Databases and other great features.

MSN: [email protected] AIM: HCLiveHelp02

Your traffic is very high so I assume you be getting lots of sales too? If then you should go ahead and get a dedicated server. With the kind of sales you getting you may also want to hire a server admin if you are not techie inclined yourself.
    OCEAN HOST
    www.ocean-host.com
    Get Online. Reach Worldwide.
    Check our uptime

With this kind of traffic, it's not bandwidth that you need to be concerned about, it's server load - ecommerce is resource-intensive (but not bandwidth intensive) at the best of times, but with that level of traffic i suspect you might need to look at a load balanced solution to ensure smooth operation.

I believe EV1 are doing good load balanced solutions for low prices, but if your site is doing ecommerce in a serious way, you may wish to look at someone like RackSpace, who will offer a no-downtime solution. Remember that even a few minutes of downtime can be extremely costly in an ecommerce environment.

If you don't have the money in the begining you should go with a good host and choose a e-commerce plan.

As soon as you have the money(if you are using so much bandwith you have to have sales... and this means profit) you can change to a Dedicated SERVER (with management maybe?).

A VPS could be a good decision but be carefull what host you choose.

Thanks guys for your comments it has helped me a lot. I dont know if there will be as many visitors in the beginning but the reason i want to have a website with large bandwidth is to have the capacity attract as many viewers in the beginning as possible and also because most of the pages will have multimedia content included so for that reason i want i dont want to try a small hosting plan cos i will most likely overexceed my limit

One thing you may wish to try, then, would be to find a Web hosting company that offers shared hosting as well as dedicated servers. Check and see if they can move accounts from shared to dedicated if it becomes necessary to upgrade. If they can do this, then I would go with that solution, as your startup costs will be lower, but you will be able to upgrade easily when the need arises.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

As the others have suggested, a dedicated server may prove to be more your speed. With that kind of traffic, I don't think that a eCommerce package right off the bat will suit your needs as you need them. However, a low end dedicated server solution with perhaps server management if need be may be a good route to take. As Dan has suggested go with a provider that will allow you to upgrade to a dedicated server solution (if you plan to go with a shared account) when need be.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Thanks guys for your comments it has helped me a lot. I dont know if there will be as many visitors in the beginning but the reason i want to have a website with large bandwidth is to have the capacity attract as many viewers in the beginning as possible and also because most of the pages will have multimedia content included so for that reason i want i dont want to try a small hosting plan cos i will most likely overexceed my limit
    Unless you have a secret marketing technique (or a big budget), you'll need real luck to achieve a serious popularity in a few months. Going for a hosting solution that is way more that you actually need, would be a waste of money that could go in either further developing the site or advertising it.

Be as realistic as you can with your short to mid term needs, and prepare to grow as your site's popularity grows.

Just my opinion.

As Dan said, you need to crawl before you can walk... Let alone run or even fly. I'm sure at the present time, a simple shared hosting plan is good enough for you. Once you have 10 gb of bandwidth, let alone 1000 gb of bandwidth, you can start looking at upgrading.

If you have time to learn to run a server and the desire to, then I would recommend getting a vps plan. It will go a long way in helping you understand how everything works.

Well if you currently have a steady growth of visitors to your website then I would suggest a Dedicated Server but since its a new website maybe invest in something smaller to save some money and use the saved money for marketing.

If you plan to get visitors that may use 1TB of bandwidth, shared hosting is not for you.
    You must get at least 1 dedicated server.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

That amount of traffic not only needs a dedicated server but also a 10 Mbs unmetered bandwidth port on switch.

A 10Mbs port gives about 3.2 Tb total traffic per month full load 24/7.

Be aware of offers 1.000 Gb/mo or 2.000 Gb/mo especially with shared hosting or vps because they are overselling bandwidth.

Ask host providers before buy about bandwidth limits and overload costs.

There is a risk to find your shared or vps account closed due to overload.
    VAIOWEB Web Solutions
    Web Hosting - Domain Names - SSL Certificates - WebSite Builder - WebSite Templates - Live Chat Services

500GB / month = 500 G / (30 x 20 x 50 x 50) Bps = 500G / 1.25M Bps = 400kBps
    so..u need to select a service which will allow 05-1 MBps bandwidth