1.5mbps [confused]

Hi, i think im going to settle with this host which offers 1.5mbps unmetered bandwidth. Before i sign up, i would like to know what does that 1.5mbps means ?

Does it mean i can have 100 users connecting at 15kb at the same time

1.5Mbps means that your speed to and from the internet is 1.5Mbps...

The way you put it, sounds like you might be streaming something? If thats the case then yes. You would be limited by how much of a stream and the number of users.

On a website it doesn't really matter, you could have several thousand users connecting at once. Just depends how much they have to pull off your server.

1.5Mbps is kinda low (only a T1).

What exactly are you going to do with this 1.5Mbps connection?

Im thinking to made a file hosting site. Is 1.5mbps too low for what ?

Quote Originally Posted by er1cw
    Hi, i think im going to settle with this host which offers 1.5mbps unmetered bandwidth. Before i sign up, i would like to know what does that 1.5mbps means ?
    Does it mean i can have 100 users connecting at 15kb at the same time
    It is actually mega-bits-per-second, so in theory (ignoring overheads due to packet headers and processing latency) you can send 192 kilo-bytes-per (1.5*1024/8) - so 100 users all actively downloading would get (on average) less then 2K/sec.

For comparison to metered services: if you saturated the link 24/7 for a whole month (again ignoring overheads) you could push out a little more than 470Gb in that month (192*60*60*24*30/1024/1024), but you are unlikely to ever saturate the link in this way.
    Last edited by dspillettt; 10-17-2006 at 05:24 AM.

Im thinking to made a file hosting site. Is 1.5mbps too low for what ?
    You should start witha 10mbps connection for a site like that and work your way up through 20 50 and 100 as your needs increase.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

The likes of HiVelocity offer very cheap unmetered deals - though very cheap might not be cheap enough :-) it just depends on how many users you are likely to have, and what your model for covering your costs (or making profit) is.

1.5mbps is definately very low for a bandwidth-intensive task such as file hosting - bear in mind that this is now a relatively slow download speed in terms of DSL, so your customers will expect more.

1.5 Mbps is such an odd number anyway. It would make me question whether the host had you on a shared T1 (1.5mbps) and not on dedicated bandwidth.

To give you an idea of what to expect, 1.5 Mbps will give you a single TCP stream throughput of about 120 KB per second.

Now selling BigVPS's!
    Jacksonville Colocation and dedicated servers by colo4jax
    We are *not* a reseller. We own our servers, switches, routers and racks.

Quote Originally Posted by dspillettt
    For comparison to metered services: if you saturated the link 24/7 for a whole month (again ignoring overheads) you could push out a little more than 470Gb in that month (192*60*60*24*30/1024/1024), but you are unlikely to ever saturate the link in this way.
    But their sales page quoted 760GB per month on that 1.5mbps connection. How is that achievable if calculate base on the above formula ?

If that case. I think 1.5mbps is too slow for my needs. I will give that hosting a no go then

But their sales page quoted 760GB per month on that 1.5mbps connection. How is that achievable if calculate base on the above formula ?
    It's not achievable.

Now selling BigVPS's!
    Jacksonville Colocation and dedicated servers by colo4jax
    We are *not* a reseller. We own our servers, switches, routers and racks.

If that case. I think 1.5mbps is too slow for my needs. I will give that hosting a no go then
    They are probably counting both incoming and outgoing bandwidth (380 in and 380 out) to get that figure. For a download site (and most uses for a server/VPS) you actually need very little incoming bandwidth compared to outgoing.

Also they are assuming 10bits/byte rather than 8bits/byte to get the 380 figure rather than the 470 I quoted, in wich case the 192Kbyte/sec should be ~150Kbyte/sec. I'm no expert on these matters, so they may be right to use 10 rather than 8 (in fact they pobably are - the 100mbps local LAN I'm sat on right now only allows me to push/pull a tad under 10Mbyte/sec and not 12.5).