Microsoft limits Vista transfers

Hmm... I change computers once sometimes twice a year. For example, I built a computer at the end of May 2006 and will upgrade it again in Feb 07. I figure by the end of 07 I will build another. Each time I remove and install windows. This new license term SUCKS ***. I hope MS backs from this once everyone starts to read.... And no, I don't do anything illegal... I have several legal license of XP Home (for virtual pc), one xp pro (main computer), several 98, one 2000, and even one 3.11 (lol, I do).

Under changes to Microsoft's licensing terms, buyers of retail copies of Vista will only be able to transfer their software to a new machine once. If they want to move their software a second time, they will have to buy a new copy of the operating system.

In the past, those who bought a retail copy of Windows needed to uninstall it from any machine before moving it to another machine, but there was no limit to how many times this could be done.

<<oh, darn... so when that emachine dies, you can't build your own and use vista. Did I not pay for the software?>>

Separate rules apply for the versions of Windows installed on new PCs, which is how most people get their copy of the software, Boettcher said. In most cases, copies of Windows purchased on a new PC cannot legally be transferred.

http://news.com.com/Microsoft+limits...?tag=nefd.lede
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Hmmm, besides the fact that I think the rule is unfair, and it is going to inconvienience legitimate users more than stop piracy, but how is MS planning to implement it? Based on the mother board, CPU, HDD, or?

Quote Originally Posted by freak
    Hmmm, besides the fact that I think the rule is unfair, and it is going to inconvienience legitimate users more than stop piracy, but how is MS planning to implement it? Based on the mother board, CPU, HDD, or?
    They already have all the information on your components for activation, it isn't a stretch too far to note a motherboard identifier and only ever allow 2 of them to be used - once it gets a third is just.. dies.
    Alasdair

Basically, you have to register vista online or over the phone, just like you do XP. Since they already have the client code and hardware information, this will not be too hard to impose. XP was the first major step, I guess....

In XP, I have to call sometimes and tell them that I've uninstalled it from my old computer and moving to a new computer.

While I doubt if this will be a big deal for the majority of people, but I know there are more than a few legal users like myself who build new computers each year and simply transfer the license over. Oh, well....

Yea, I know they can actually do it. What I am more of trying to get at is will a change of harddisk, or RAM, or Processor or stuff like that count towards a new vista installation?

Yea, I know they can actually do it. What I am more of trying to get at is will a change of harddisk, or RAM, or Processor or stuff like that count towards a new vista installation?
    Darn good question...

I think before they counted three or four changed items in your computer as a "new" computer.

edit:

Actually, this is going to be the same as XP... I will have to call in to MS... This is not going to be a big deal... my guess is they are going to hammer down on people installing 10 copies all over the house, and then another 10 in virtual machines.

Fair enough... I'm good.... well, as long as my conversations with vista go like xp... guess I'll find out... lol... I'm not worried though....

It is explained here....

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase..._licensing.asp

"This is a fairly rare thing," Boettcher said. "Edge cases can be accommodated through customer support, but it's a relatively small group: People who are building their own PCs; hard core enthusiasts." Long story short, you'll have to talk to a human being and explain what happened. Just as you have had to do with XP.

Quote Originally Posted by hekwu
    It is explained here....

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase..._licensing.asp

"This is a fairly rare thing," Boettcher said. "Edge cases can be accommodated through customer support, but it's a relatively small group: People who are building their own PCs; hard core enthusiasts." Long story short, you'll have to talk to a human being and explain what happened. Just as you have had to do with XP.
    Is this guy an actual employee of microsoft? Or is he simply providing an (opposite) opinion to the situation like everyone else?

I tried to find some info on the site, but it was very vague and I got the impression he's not actually an employee.
    Alasdair

Quote Originally Posted by tickedon
    Is this guy an actual employee of microsoft? Or is he simply providing an (opposite) opinion to the situation like everyone else?

I tried to find some info on the site, but it was very vague and I got the impression he's not actually an employee.

No, he is not a MS employee, but he does have access to MS employees. I think he used to work at MS or something... not sure. I know the information he provides on the site, if you like him or not, is dead-on 99% of the time.

He also rails on MS at times, so he is not the ultimate fanboi.... What he says makes sense... MS simply wants to stop people operating 10 copies of vista at the same time... I do not have a problem with that... as I said, I own multiple legal licenses now... I don't have a problem with paying as long as I can use the software on different hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by hekwu
    Hmm... I change computers once sometimes twice a year. For example, I built a computer at the end of May 2006 and will upgrade it again in Feb 07. I figure by the end of 07 I will build another. Each time I remove and install windows. This new license term SUCKS ***. I hope MS backs from this once everyone starts to read.... And no, I don't do anything illegal... I have several legal license of XP Home (for virtual pc), one xp pro (main computer), several 98, one 2000, and even one 3.11 (lol, I do).

Under changes to Microsoft's licensing terms, buyers of retail copies of Vista will only be able to transfer their software to a new machine once. If they want to move their software a second time, they will have to buy a new copy of the operating system.

In the past, those who bought a retail copy of Windows needed to uninstall it from any machine before moving it to another machine, but there was no limit to how many times this could be done.

<<oh, darn... so when that emachine dies, you can't build your own and use vista. Did I not pay for the software?>>

Separate rules apply for the versions of Windows installed on new PCs, which is how most people get their copy of the software, Boettcher said. In most cases, copies of Windows purchased on a new PC cannot legally be transferred.

http://news.com.com/Microsoft+limits...?tag=nefd.lede

If I can only transfer it once, screw it, ill stick with XP. Thats kinda stupid IMO. I format at least 3 times a year
    Last edited by Necrosaro420; 10-17-2006 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Necrosaro420
    If I can only transfer it once, screw it, ill stick with XP. Thats kinda stupid IMO. I format at least 3 times a year
    Transfer and format are two different things.... but, you did not read the rest of the thread either.... this is not a big deal, nothing has really changed... Well, that is my take on it anyway...

I was freaked out at first until I read into what MS was really saying.

If you have so many problems with your computer that you require a reinstall 3 times a year I would suggest you look at drive imaging as you can do a complete restore in about 10 minutes. And depending on when you took the image you can even have the main programs back in place.
    Steve

I wonder if after all these attempts by MS to make Vista Unhackable and all that..will we be still finding warez sites and P2P programs offering Vista Hacked downloads?
    Caro.Net: Support is everything
    Offering High Quality Dedicated Servers.

Quote Originally Posted by CaroNet-Hesham
    I wonder if after all these attempts by MS to make Vista Unhackable and all that..will we be still finding warez sites and P2P programs offering Vista Hacked downloads?
    Count on it WGA and everything else MS tried for XP failed, they still got through it and released cracks for it. I can't see why it would be any different with Vista.
    Alasdair

That "protection" mentioned that Vista will have, is in my opinion stupid. Think about it, you buy a car, you load the fuel in, & when it's empty first time, you go buy another car because you can't load the fuel in your first car because you already did it once. :/
    Even if they manage to do it (they can use HDD, MB etc. lockdowns) very soon someone will crack it & we would see even more pirated Windows than in this moment. Of course, we can always keep XP or older versions
    What man has programmed, man can aswell crack statement which works for years.

Maybe I was wrong? At any rate, this is the rebuttle to the site I posted above which lists what is wrong with the license refresh from MS. It is posted on the same site, but the owner requested someone from the outside to do a rebuttle....

I still don't know if I'm worried though... seems you can still install on more than two computers if you call MS. I've never found that to be a pain.

It is a very nice article:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...sing_reply.asp

So, even if you reformat the computer, wich I do VERY OFTEN as it's often the easiest way to fix problems in a hurry and sometimes the only way, you will have to call them EACH TIME? it won't just be activatable multiple times like XP is now on a single machine only?

Something has to stop Microsoft, or at least start up as a serious competitor. You just KNOW they are going to make it so you can only activate it ONCE in the future, and then you are done.

If the software cost 86 or so bucks right out of the bat, most people wouldn't mind buying multiple copies of programs, and companies would see a huge profit increase. But when you see programs like Photoshop at 600$'s a pop, when it's probably only worth $300 for what the average person uses it for, it's getting to be rediculous..

So, does anyone know if this applies to OEM versions as well? I bought an OEM off of New Egg last year, of Media Center. I've reformated at least 100 times, and it was re-activated online each time without a problem. would an OEM of Vista work the same way, so long as it was installed on the same machine?
    Check out Twelveoclock.net. And please check out our forums for fun Animation/Technology talk

Quote Originally Posted by Neil V
    So, even if you reformat the computer, wich I do VERY OFTEN as it's often the easiest way to fix problems in a hurry and sometimes the only way, you will have to call them EACH TIME? it won't just be activatable multiple times like XP is now on a single machine only?
    A transfer is different to a re-install.

If you are re-installing Windows time and time again on a single machine, Microsoft will be able to tell them based on the activation string which holds information on your hardware - therefore, I imagine it'll activate on that same hardware as many times as you want.

A 'transfer' would mean replacing something such as the motherboard or moving it to a different 'device' (computer) - it'll only activate twice, once on your 'original' machine and then once more on another machine.

OEM copies are meant to be installed on one device only - the original machine, and that's it. I do believe microsoft make exceptions for failures, e.g. where the motherboard fails and it has to be replaced. Retail copies of Windows (at full price) could previously be transferred from device to device, with no limit specified - now Microsoft are saying retail copies can only be transferred once.
    Alasdair

I think Microsoft wants to stop people from reselling old vista licenses from obsolete computers that people were selling for XP home for $30 to $60. Maybe they had trouble enforcing this with XP due to the ambiguous licensing terms.