Post Hosting server and web site from my company..

I don't know this is right section or what not if i want to host vbulletin forum through dell poweredge rack server located in my company. What kind of connection do I need to support forum with 500 members and about 20 members online at time? Also where to get those connections what hosting company use to support dedicated servers. Currently have just regular cable connection which uploading is only 80kb/sec. and I know it's impossible to host any high traffic web.
    I do own dedicated server which currently hosting right now.. but we need lots of space to support uploading files and I am just curious if it's better way to host web through server at my company.
    Last edited by maxboost7; 10-16-2006 at 10:19 PM.
    Request File and Receive through your Inbox or MediaMax Account!

How long is a piece of string would be an adequate example. Without knowledge of the size of your forums, user browsing data etc it's hard to made an informed judgement/report. However that said;
    What is your budget per month (inc. currency)?
    Do you have any plans with regards to limits your going to place on file uploading and type of forum?
    What is your current monthly data-transfer usage and average bandwidth usage?

You might consider hosts such as FDCservers ( fdcservers.net ) if your on a budget and do not wish to worry about overcharge fees. If you not on a major budget you could consider SoftLayer ( softlayer.com ) , but for both you must consider server administration which would likely be better sourced from a third party systems administration company which there are a few with precences on this forum.

Well I am opening new service like rapidshare.de where people can host their file.. As right now my budget is about $1,000 / mo if i get to host it in my own server.. I wouldn't pay dedicated server more than $150.. I just don't feel comportable.. don't know why.. Do you know any company that provide connections for hosting server?

You'll pay more then $150 a month to have a high speed connection at your office if you want a rapidshare.de like site.

You're better off getting a dedicated server from a dedicated server provider such as softlayer or somewhere.

I know, read my post "....my budget is about $1,000 / mo if i get to host it in my own server..". I just don't want to more than $150 for dedicated server which I already own from hivelocity.com

you don't want to pay more than $150 for a dedicated server but have a budget of up to $1000 for unmetered bandwidth?

Usually when you buy an unmetered bandwidth package you get a server with it.

Quote Originally Posted by cheyenne1212
    you don't want to pay more than $150 for a dedicated server but have a budget of up to $1000 for unmetered bandwidth?

Usually when you buy an unmetered bandwidth package you get a server with it.
    I can invest up to $1,000 / mo ONLY If I can get connection (T1, T3, Cognet, Level(3) networks..etc) that can support my poweredge rack servers in my company. Which I can host web through my own server in office.

You're not going to get any more than two or three T1s (1.5mbit each) at $1000/mo, and that's assuming your office is in a major market (Tier1 or Tier2), fairly close to a CO, and not much distance between the CO and your provider's LSO (Local Serving Office).

So you should probably be asking yourself if 3 or 4.5mbit of connectivity is congruent with the goals of your business plan. My guess would be no. In that case you'll be stuck with either colocation or a dedicated server.

Good luck!

Now selling BigVPS's!
    Jacksonville Colocation and dedicated servers by colo4jax
    We are *not* a reseller. We own our servers, switches, routers and racks.

Quote Originally Posted by tical
    You're not going to get any more than two or three T1s (1.5mbit each) at $1000/mo, and that's assuming your office is in a major market (Tier1 or Tier2), fairly close to a CO, and not much distance between the CO and your provider's LSO (Local Serving Office).

So you should probably be asking yourself if 3 or 4.5mbit of connectivity is congruent with the goals of your business plan. My guess would be no. In that case you'll be stuck with either colocation or a dedicated server.

Good luck!
    Thank you guys for more information I'll definately just consider getting off-shore unmetered server or something..