How reliable is HostTracker?

After some downtime with Dreamhost I thought I better track the uptime with a tracker so I signed up with HostTracker about 9 hours ago and it's giving me some crazy stats.

According to HostTracker Dreamhost has been having short downtimes as often as you check email and that's something I do a lot. I don't have a percentage yet but it's not looking good.

I'm also hosted with another reputable host which I paid good money, which I don't wanna mention because I keep saying their name, and for them no downtime at all. So I'm thinking it can't be the tracker right?

Another thing, I set the tracker to check every 1 minute by getting the HEAD. Will that affect in any way the perfomance of a website or even the traffic stats (I use Google Analytics)

Well if it works for one, I can't see a reason why it wouldn't work for Dreamhost. Although we use hyperspin to track our servers because its very hard to rely on free solutions these days.

Vitalis,

There's quite a few issues that can play a role. Host-tracker most certainly isn't reliable enough to be used as the only source of uptime statistics. Try getting a free account at alertra and a few others and test them in conjunction with the site as well.

Don't rely on a single source.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Alertra is very nice to have. As David said, two or more sources are always better than one. Here is another:

http://www.siteuptime.com
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

I agrees with David and HostFrog, it's much better to use a couple of trackers that way you have a better understanding of whats going on.

We use Hyperspin and Internerseer and find them both to be fairly reliable but I don't think you can ever have anything thats 100% accurate as there are so many variables that can cause your site to return as down.
    IndigoHosts
    Linux Shared & Reseller Hosting
    Instant Activation on all plans
    www.indigohosts.co.uk

I been using HostTracker with dreamhost for more than a month now.
    Everything seems to be okay.

http://host-tracker.com/website-upti...istics/183213/

Quote Originally Posted by martint
    I been using HostTracker with dreamhost for more than a month now.
    Everything seems to be okay.

http://host-tracker.com/website-upti...istics/183213/

I will check out the other trackers you guys suggested. As for you martint on which server are you? I'm on Lenny

Oh something I noticed, martint you have the interval set at 15min so probably the tracker didn't pick up as many downtimes. I have it at 1min intervals and the tracker is picking up downtimes for 1min up to 9min. Maybe it's something to do with the previous downtime of about 40mins which made me think of using the tracker. I guess Dreamhost might have been fixing the server.

Personaly i would use UpPannel which provides easy to understand results (which can be embeded to your website) and charts, along with email notifications of your host's online status and a neet little proram you may install onto your computer to track your host without having to logon to thier website.

Vitalis, I'm the on the Cupcake server (Fast and Perfect!)
    Also, I made it track a personal website, so download less than 15 minutes is really not that important to me, unless its a reocurring situation which certanily is not the case here.

Hmmm.. can't find UpPannel on google..

uppanel(dot)com

sorry my mistake, no double n.

Thanks I've signed up for it already. Unfortunaly it came in handy because there's another downtime. I always thought Dreamhost was only suitable for personal websites, and now I think even if you host personal ones you still have to consider if you want to put the important sites with them.

Hmmm, that is unfortunate. Perhaps you may want to start looking for another provider. Also have you contacted them about this? If not, you may want to consider chatting with them regarding your issue.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Yer, i would have to agree, its not going to be in your favour if your paying money for websites thats spendning its time down.

Although, on the other hand, they may be just merging servers or somthing on the lines, which would indeed possibly cause the down time you are receiving.

Well I have the sites that matter with another host so under these circumstances it's not too bad. For 20 bucks/year what can you expect? Just that it would be crazy to host with them at the original price.

Im glad to hear.