Unix Systems Administrator | WEEKEND DAY SHIFT OPERATIONS
Jupiter Hosting is adding to our growing operations team and you may be the one we are looking for.
Your primary responsibilities split between the installation of customer software, and the support of existing customer applications and servers. It's fast paced but fun. We guarantee that you will go home feeling a sense of accomplishment every day. We also provide all of our engineers the right tools to do the job right, and training programs in specialized fields.
* Be able to troubleshoot hardware or software issues.
* Be able to stay calm in the midst of a storm.
* Be able to uncrate, initalize, rack, cable and IP servers without instruction.
* Have experience working directly with hosting customers.
* Be able to show us you know your stuff. (Pay attention, yes there is a test.)
* Be able to juggle multiple issues and clients. (Nobody gets to work with just one client at a time)
* Be able to communicate well with customers, both written (e-mail / chat) and verbally (phone) in English.
Ok, enough of the touchy feely stuff here are the hard skills you must have. You must be able to, at a minimum, Download, Compile, Install, Customize, Troubleshoot, use, and SUPPORT the following applications on FreeBSD and most Linux versions:
* DNS Record Administration
* NFS / NAS File Servers Administration and Troubleshooting
* PHP (Installation, configuration, and troubleshooting - NOT PROGRAMMING)
* Most Open Source Mail Applications
You will be working in a networked environment, so basic knowledge of networking will be required, including:
* Making and Running CAT 5e Patch Cables
* Racking Computer Servers
* Adding / Removing Disk's in Array's
* Maintaining Backups (swaping tapes)
* Installing Rack Mount PDU's (power strips) and Shelves
You must also have proven General System administrator abilities including:
* Simple Script Writing
* Scheduling Cron Jobs
* Backing up Data to Tape or Other devices (SAN)
* Creating secure NFS shares
* Adding and removing users, SSH Keys, FTP Accounts, etc
* Add / remove applications to startup procedures
* Configure (add and remove) Network Devices, Ports, and Protocols
Ok, we've told you what we want. The hourly rate for this job ranges from $25 to $31 per hour based on our assessment of your skills. These are hourly position so you get double time for holidays. Because we are constantly growing, there are frequent overtime opportunities. Finally, excellence is recognized and rewarded with performance bonuses.
Finally, we have built an environment that is fun and energetic to work in but we don't want anyone getting bored. Therefore, shift changes do occur which will allow you to alter shift schedules. You are not wed to one schedule for your entire stay with Jupiter. Most important, career advancement opportunities arise quickly at Jupiter. If you rise to the occasion, there's always room to grow.
The Fine Print:
You will be required to demonstrate your technical abilities in a test / simulated hosting environment at our corporate headquarters in Santa Clara, CA.
Some travel may be required (Domestic).
** Must be willing to work with customers who own and operate adult oriented websites.
** Must be at least 21 years of age.
** Must be willing to be on-call.
** Must be able to lift 30 pounds over your head.
** Must have own transportation.
** Must live in the Silicon Valley, California area.
** Must be able to work unsupervised.
** Must have good time management skills.
** Must be available to work the times and days specified.
** Must be willing to have work schedule altered as needed.
** Must agree to civil and criminal background investigation.
** Must be able to work initially 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM for first two weeks of employment. This is the training period required before moving to the advertised shift.
** If applying as a Full Time Employee, this position must be your primary and only employment.