Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 44
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    45

    Review of ResellerZoom

    First of all let me say I am not here to bash resellerzoom, they are a great company. I do have some information I would like to share as a "budget plan" reseller.

    I have been with resellerzoom for about 2 years now and when I first started out with them they were all about support. In the last few months however there has been a change in that for a budget accounts that personally I don't think should have occurred. Support went south

    IF you are thinking about getting a budget reseller account then please do not expect to get anything more than a "your on your own" account because that is exactly what it is. You no longer have live support and if you violate that policy by attempting to contact them you can be fined 25.00 for even accidentally attempting it.

    So your only alternative is to use the ticket support which goes unanswered for long periods. What I am saying to you is don't expect support to be all over you if your opting to go "budget reseller".

    Price wise you won't find a better deal than resellerzoom but the old saying you get what you pay for holds true.

    The other problem with the budget reseller plan on resellerzoom is the servers are getting a bit crowded now and have slowed down but to their credit they freely admit this.

    If your running a bulletin board you can only have less than 100 connections at once on the budget server so it doesn't hog what limited resources are left on an already over crowed server.

    There are downtimes but they don't usually last too long. If your not hosting anything resource intensive such as something that uses a sql database and only plan to serve basic html pages then resellerzoom budget plan is perfect for you and the price is so low it is almost free. I am paying 4.95 a month and they have not once indicated they needed to raise the price in the 2 years I have been with them.

    My intention here is to provide anyone who is considering the budget plan at resellerzoom with some information to help make your decision easier. If you don't need support or intensive resources then I say go for it, otherwise choose their advanced plan which has far less accounts per server and support coming out your ears.

    I hope this helps,
    retrodata

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,904
    I fully agree with you on this. ResellerZoom's budget plans are not that great - thus the reason they are considered to be budget plans. The server or servers these plans are hosted on are peeked out and loads are tough from the amount of sites on them.

    However -

    Advanced or Professional plans are top notch and speeds are amazingly decent on them. I would recommend anyone who is looking into ResellerZoom to avoid their budget plans but go with one of their two higher plans.

    Their support is awesome as well.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    3,911
    So if you contact them your fined for $25.00? Could you please tell me a little more about this because thats crazy.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt.G
    So if you contact them your fined for $25.00? Could you please tell me a little more about this because thats crazy.
    I'm curious about this too.
    PremiumReseller.com Hyper-V SSD VPS USA London Singapore
    Reseller Hosting Cpanel PURE SSD CloudLinux Softaculous
    Windows Reseller Asp.NET 4.5 MSSQL 2012 SmarterMail Enterprise

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,904
    ResellerZoom clearly states that there is no live support for budget plans so if you are caught trying to use the live support option - yes - you could be fined 25$. I am sure you get a warning - but it is just a method to prevent abuse. Budget plans have to use email or ticket support only. That is one of the reasons I suggest going with the advanced or professional plan options.

    ResellerZoom also states that the budget plans are not recommended to be used as an option for startup host because they do limit you on features and usage.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Swellyville
    Posts
    2,340
    You say you have been there for close to 2 years. Have the policies always been that way. By that I mean, if you try to contact live support have you been charged the $25.00 in the past, or is this something new? I can't can't see them charging $25 for live support to any customer whether or not they are on a specific plan.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,904
    This is what it says when you click for LIVE CHAT on their support contact page:
    http://resellerzoom.com/live-chat.shtml

    Live chat support is only available to Advanced and Premium resellers.
    Budget resellers who violate this policy may result in a $25 charge per chat.


    So my guess is if you don't see that and understand it before you click for live chat - then you deserve to be charged.

    I personally think its a great policy to have in place as it keeps the line open for their higher end clients that are actually supporting a larger client base. Not to mention that you get what you pay for. If you read through the features of the budget account you will find that there is no live chat option.


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    45
    HostFrog, no it has not always been this way, this is a recent change. Live support used to be for all including budget plans. It really does bite.

    I guess I can understand why but heck why not just nicely refuse the budget guys questions instead of fining them $25.00?

    Yeah it is crazy. heh

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,904
    I think the reason why is because they were getting alot of abuse on the live chat. I think it is a stiff approach but one that they felt was needed. As I see it - it shouldn't really matter what the fee is - if your on a budget plan - just know your what your plan's limits are and you won't have an issue.

    I suppose they could put a bit more info about to justify the large fee. That would be nice to those questioning their reasons. Though with a huge fee like that one can only guess it was because of the abuse and limited man power to cover all request.


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    45
    Yeah I am sure your right about the reason jerett and it doesn't bother me but none of the budget guys got an email about this change in policy so I posted that just so a newbie thinking of going with resellerzoom's budget plan would know in advance that "Thy Shalt NOT have Live Support and if Thy Attempt then Thy Shall be Fined !!" and then possibly flogged. rofl

    I agree with you that it is in bold print but if your in a hurry because your sites down and are looking for answers quick then you may not take time to read before clicking on the live support button.

    I feel for them, I know they have a truck load of clients now that they are having to deal with and that can't be easy.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    3,911
    So when do clients value change on what package they get? I personally think that every client should be able to use the livechat.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,904
    True that!

    I agree that current customers should have been properly notified through email or on the next invoice sent out.

    I know for the past few months it has been like this - that is since I have signed up with them so it must have been a change made before I can on board.

    Wish you all the best and good luck through the flogging.


  13. #13
    good somebody advised me to go with them... and now I know am gonna kill him...

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,904
    Can you clarify a bit more on your post Stillnoob


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Tipton, IN
    Posts
    417
    Quote Originally Posted by retrodata
    it doesn't bother me but none of the budget guys got an email about this change in policy so I posted that just so a newbie thinking of going with resellerzoom's budget plan would know in advance that "Thy Shalt NOT have Live Support and if Thy Attempt then Thy Shall be Fined !!" and then possibly flogged. rofl
    That's not an excuse.

    They post all policy updates to the forum, users should be registered to the forum anyway, and subscribe to their Announcements board.

    ALWAYS recommend doing that.

    Other than that, they've been honest and always told people they recommend not using budget hosting for reselling hosting, just basically for webmasters only..

    If people's $4.95 a month site is down, they need to wait on ticket queue.. All I can say is I've never had a ticket go unanswered in their 24 hour time limit.

    They could also go on the forum and create a ticket about the specific server they're having a problem with.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    45
    CEngine, thank you for stating the obvious

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    238
    I have both a ResellerZoom Budget Plan (on Cameron) and an Advanced Plan (on Gray).

    retrodata's post is mostly fair and accurate.

    RZ has generally been very honest and open about their policies, inclusions in their plans, limitations, etc.

    Personally, I wish they eventually let go of their Budget Reseller plan as it can create a dent in their reputation. Some people just don't get it. Even if 99% of the sites I host are mostly static sites (small companies that want web presence), I still prefer to be on the Advanced Plan rather than the Budget.

    The problem is that I get a Budget Reseller Plan and put 20 purely static HTML sites with a few mailboxes each. However, someone else on the same server will get the same Budget plan and put CMS's, forums, etc. So no matter how obedient I am, some other user will come in and mess up the whole server.

    I do hope that someday, RZ realizes that no matter how clear they are and how most of the customers in the Budget Reseller Plan abide by the TOS/AUP, there will be enough rogue customers to mess up the server. The greater the number of users on one server, the higher the potential for trouble.

    I just hope it doesn't end up ruining the reputation of ResellerZoom.

    In the 3 1/2 years I've been using reseller hosting plans, I've so far only have 2 companies I can recommend: HostGator and ResellerZoom. The main problem with HostGator is that they don't enable overselling. Although that seems to work for them and the customers who end up using them, it is quite a difficult restriction for someone who wants to sell web hosting.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,904
    I agree to some fashion with the statement made that RZ should drop their budget plan. Ideally I think they should just make it clear and boldy stated that the budget plans are NOT intended for start up host and are Budget for a reason.


  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Swellyville
    Posts
    2,340
    I agree that they have done a good job of informing customers of the disadvantages of the budget plan. However, I can't see why a low priced plan would be targeted toward webmasters or even web vets for that matter. One would think that a lower priced plan would cater to the web rookies, who don't really have any directional path in early stage other then "I would like to grow". The fact still remains, technical issues can arise with any plan whether a customer pays $2.00 or $99, support should not be a luxury.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,904
    Nicely put.


  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by jerett
    I agree to some fashion with the statement made that RZ should drop their budget plan. Ideally I think they should just make it clear and boldy stated that the budget plans are NOT intended for start up host and are Budget for a reason.
    I agree completely.

    There are plenty of newbies out there looking for a start up plan to get into hosting and the budget plan at RZ is not going to get them off to a good start. It's a shame they don't just drop the budget plan and call it something else, well anything but a reseller plan.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,904
    How about "The Pay Less for Less Performance Plan" ?


  23. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    45
    Well that certainly would leave no room for doubt about what your getting. It's kinda catchy too. rofl

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    785
    Quote Originally Posted by HostFrog
    technical issues can arise with any plan whether a customer pays $2.00 or $99, support should not be a luxury.

    He didn't say they don't provide support at all. He said they don't provide LIVE CHAT support to budget plans. They still provide at least 2 ways to contact them for support (email and ticket system).

    I don't know how RZ works personally, but live chat is usually for level 1 stuff. Anything else is passed to a level 2 or 3 tech, who take care of all clients in the same timeframe, regardless of plan.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Swellyville
    Posts
    2,340
    I see what your saying, however I don't really think that live support availability should be based on how much you pay. Maybe I am wrong here though.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    785
    I won't pretend to know RZ's business plan, but you're not going to pay a level 1 tech (who's paid on average between 12-17$ an hour) to troubleshoot someone who pays 4$ a month while others who are paying for that luxury (and yes, live chat support IS a luxury) are waiting in line.

    Everyone gets support either way, from the same exact people.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Swellyville
    Posts
    2,340
    Well I guess that sounds about right. Then I must agree with the others regarding that the plan be removed, if all customers can't be in the same "class" then why have that plan.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    EU - east side
    Posts
    21,913
    I don't know how RZ works personally, but live chat is usually for level 1 stuff.
    That's exactly how it is at Resellerzoom as well: http://www.resellerzoom.com/live-chat.shtml

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,904
    Quote Originally Posted by jerett
    This is what it says when you click for LIVE CHAT on their support contact page:
    http://resellerzoom.com/live-chat.shtml

    Live chat support is only available to Advanced and Premium resellers.
    Budget resellers who violate this policy may result in a $25 charge per chat.

    Didn't I already state that? LOL


  30. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by retrodata
    HostFrog, no it has not always been this way, this is a recent change. Live support used to be for all including budget plans. It really does bite.

    I guess I can understand why but heck why not just nicely refuse the budget guys questions instead of fining them $25.00?

    Yeah it is crazy. heh
    It has been this way for at least over a year. Some of our older customers can confirm that so it wasn't a recent change. Even though we mention live chat support isn't available for budget resellers they tend to use it anyway. The mention of a charge is to prevent furthur abuse of our support chat system as it ties up our chat line for higher end customers. Some may argue all customers should receive the same support however when you are paying under $5/mo for a reseller plan that allows you to create up to 50 cpanel accounts and host virtually unlimited domains (addons) there has to be limits in order to be profitable. Offering live chat support to budget customers would require us to double our chat support staff and if that is required it would no longer be profitable and thus there would be no budget plan. We give you tremendous value but you have to sacrifice some features.
    IO ZOOM - 100% SSD VPS Hosting
    Pure SSD / Raid 10 / Free DDoS Protection / KVM Virtualization
    Datacenter Locations in Los Angeles, Chicago, Dallas, and Miami
    www.ioZoom.com / sales[at]iozoom.com

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,904
    Firmly agree with you there hzKiet


  32. #32
    I agree at least reseller zoom does tell you they don't recommend the budget hosting plans for reselling. also we have to remember they have a business, overhead and they need to make money inorder to stay in business.

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    45
    Well it has been awhile since I needed live support so I wasn't sure exactly when it took place. Last time I used live support was May of 2005. Like I said we never got notified of the change. I checked and rechecked my email and there isn't a word about it. I think those of us who have been with RZ since before the change shoud be grandfathered in to recieve live support as we were promised when we first signed up. I really don't give a hoot, it would have been a nice gesture though.

  34. #34

    reseller zoom uk servers

    anybody know anything about their uk servers? anybody on them?

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    289
    hi, I am on their UK server since one month now. Everything has been working smooth sofar. Support has been excellent. What else do you want to know?

  36. #36
    Hello to the forum. I am new, so take it easy on me when i ask something dummy.
    I am a web designer. I do mostly simple html sites of small businesses which want a web presence, but some of my sites, has a blog or a forum.
    None of those sites go over 1gb traffic per month. I think one of them has 500mb traffic on 4 months :p
    So , if budget plans of resellerzoom isn't for me, then which is the reason of their existance ?
    And when you say "budget plans" , you mean all three (budget one, two, three), not only the first one, right?
    With a little mathematics, i find that resellerzoom's first package ( 5$/month ) is covering all of my needs and more.
    Why pay 300$/month and jumping into advanced package?

    I understand completely the part about live chat support. But, just wondering, if a server goes down, do live chat with the client , get it up and running faster?
    I mean, when it's going to be up, it's going to be up, no matter you contact them or not.
    So, an email is enough and for other technical support for me.
    The main question is : Beside live chat, is there something else? Often downtime? Speed problems ?

    Please answer my questions.
    Thank you in advance.
    Kind regards

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    289
    Hi Klesident,

    Perhaps the budget plan is the correct plan for you, it all depends on how busy the blogs/forums are going to be. You would just have to try that out.

    Your questions:
    Q: "And when you say "budget plans" , you mean all three (budget one, two, three), not only the first one, right?"
    A: The performance of all three budgetsplans is the same, just the amount of diskspace/bandwidth/number of allowed domains is different.

    Q:"But, just wondering, if a server goes down, do live chat with the client , get it up and running faster?"
    A:No, I don't think the server will be up and running faster if the whole server is down but if you have questions/problems with one of your sites you will get a swifter response. I have been on a budget accoun for almost two years and the helpdesk through email/tickets has been good enough for me.

    Q:"The main question is : Beside live chat, is there something else? Often downtime? Speed problems ? "
    A: Well there are more differences between budget and advanced apart from Live Chat. End-User support for example and more systemresources (more cpu-time, more emails per hour, more mysql-connections). And there are more resellers on a budget-account than on a advanced-account, leading in some cases to higher loads on the server.

    Apart from all that the Advanced Accounts changed since today in Failover Reseller-accounts: same resources for the same price but if the server were the sites are hosted on goes down, a second up-to-date-backup server takes over (Uk-servers excluded).

    http://resellerzoom.com/failover-reseller-hosting.shtml

    It all depends on what you want/need and what you are willing to pay for iet.

  38. #38
    Thanks Til for your help and time.

    I think i will try out the 1st budget plan and i will host 5 to 10 sites there for a start. After all, isn't much of a risk , because you pay 4.95 per month.
    If you are unhappy you don't loose much of a money and you can go somewhere else, but i think, from the user reviews i've read so far, that budget plans of resellerzoom is just what i need for my sites.

    As for my blogs and forums, they hardly have 500mb traffic per month each.

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    289
    Hi Klesident, you're welcome.

    You can allways try it like you say and they have a 30-day money back guarantuee, so no real risk at all.

    As for your blogs and forums: not the amount of traffic is important but the number of visitors that visit them at the same time.

    Budget resellers may not use more than 1% CPU daily, 3% memory daily, run more than 8 simultaneous processes per user or allow any process to run for longer than 15 CPU seconds. Databases are limited to 8 max user connections with a max query time of 5 seconds.
    But I understand from some other threads that that does not mean that only 8 users can be on your forum/blog at the same time but a lot more.

    You will just have to see if these restrictions are enough for your sites or not.

    Good luck!

  40. #40
    I think the limit to 8 max users connections ,is about the very same second.
    So, i f i reach that point, i will be glad to change a server or move to a higher package.

    Anyway, the scary part , something i didn't notice, is the 1% cpy daily and 3%memory daily.
    meaning .. ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •