How to check the performance of a hosting company?

I want to check whether a hosting company will give me fast enough websites, how can I check that? I want to check for ********.com as they are offering things with really cheap rate so I am afraid of their overall performance.

Should I ask them how many websites do you host on a server? Can I trust them there?
    One site hosted on the same server that I can check for the performance?

What else should I ask for?

Re

I mailed them too about this, they said that - "200 to 300 domain names in one server" how resonable it is ??

Thats reasonable, it kinda depends on what kind of sites they are and what hardware they are hosted on.

So perhaps a better question would be.

"What server hardware are these sites hosted on?"

If you know some people that have their sites hosted with that company, you could ask to browse their site and see how it feels.

Other than that, the only way to really know if its going to suit your needs, is going to be to try it out.

200-300 sites may be nothing on a Dual Opteron with 8GB of RAM, but it all depends.

Ask them for a test file download from one of their shared hosting servers to test network speed (and do this during peak hours).

If they had a forum, I would suggest asking other clients of theirs how they rated the speed.

Even on a P4 300 is perfectly fine.

Quote Originally Posted by joshcrick
    Even on a P4 300 is perfectly fine.
    Really all depends on the type of sites that are on that server. So many variables...

Its not as simple as saying "200 - 300 is fine" im afraid.

It depends on the type of sites the server will be serving. For instance, 300 static sites may be fine on a P4, but if it was 100 sites all running forums etc, some of them being quite busy, it could hammer a single Pentium 4.

Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

Quote Originally Posted by sourav
    I want to check whether a hosting company will give me fast enough websites, how can I check that? I want to check for ********.com as they are offering things with really cheap rate so I am afraid of their overall performance.

Should I ask them how many websites do you host on a server? Can I trust them there?
    One site hosted on the same server that I can check for the performance?

Hello sourav,

Our server is Pentium D dual core + 2GB RAM.

If you are not satisfied with us after you've purchased our hosting, we have 30-day money back guarantee. And if you have problem, do contact our 24/7 technical support at http://support.********.com/
    SEO Explained in Video | The SEO Experts that increase your website traffic. Here you go: SEO

My idea is far from being original: just search the Net looking for those happy with ******** service and those who aren't and see what exactly the latter are dissatisfied with, like in
    http://php.org.my/viewtopic.php?t=39...68413b684e5829

Honestly if its too good to be true it usually is. Try to take the space offered and multiply it by how many accounts there are, also, calculate the average profit and ask yourself "are they really making that much money to expand when they need to?"

Quote Originally Posted by sourav
    You'll ask about routine of work of their support

Quote Originally Posted by Xcellweb Matt
    Its not as simple as saying "200 - 300 is fine" im afraid.

It depends on the type of sites the server will be serving. For instance, 300 static sites may be fine on a P4, but if it was 100 sites all running forums etc, some of them being quite busy, it could hammer a single Pentium 4.

Agreed with this. The type of sites hosted on that server maybe resource hogs. With that being said at peak times of the website, your site may load slllllowww. I would say if you really want to get indepth with the company and find out how they perform look at reviews about their service. Also does this provider offer a money back guarantee? If so, then its basically risk free to find out for yourself.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

300 static sites are ok, but if its 300 mysql intensive websites then

their server may slow down.

Ok everyone, I think the OP got the point of "it depends on the sites you're hosting," there's no need for 10 hosts' signatures to be shown off here.

The company he was asking about responded here:
    Quote Originally Posted by starsearcher
    Hello sourav,

If you are not satisfied with us after you've purchased our hosting, we have 30-day money back guarantee. And if you have problem, do contact our 24/7 technical support at http://support.********.com/
    They claim to have a 30 day money-back guarantee. If that's the case, you can't go wrong giving them a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by PE-Steve
    If that's the case, you can't go wrong giving them a shot.
    <puts on flame-proof suit>
    I don't neccessarily agree with that (while pointing to all the Site5 threads of late).
    </puts on flame-proof suit>

35,000 static html sites will run fine on a dual p3/866 with 2g ram & SCSI

5 mambos probably wouldn't run at all on the same hardware

Like they said above, it's all about the hardware. A great thing to ask a host for is the latest 'sar' output from the machine. that will say a lot.

here's an example of sar;
    Code:
    17:20:01          CPU     %user     %nice   %system   %iowait     %idle
    17:30:01          all     10.70      0.00      8.60     32.20     48.50
    17:40:02          all      9.65      0.00      7.44     19.15     63.77
    17:50:01          all      8.52      0.00      6.66     23.90     60.92
    18:00:01          all      9.86      0.00      7.57     39.80     42.77
    Average:          all     12.82      0.00      9.96     60.91     16.31
    Before anyone says anything the box above is my desktop. (and it's loaded badly)

Hope this helps.
    Rgds.

Quote Originally Posted by mripguru
    <puts on flame-proof suit>
    I don't neccessarily agree with that (while pointing to all the Site5 threads of late).
    </puts on flame-proof suit>
    What I mean is, 30 days gives you a good idea of the quality that you'll be receiving. If you aren't satisfied after 30 days, your money should be refunded.

Sure, things can happen after the 30 days, but that's why you should always have up-to-date backups and be ready to move at your sole discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by starsearcher
    Hello sourav,

Isn't that a bit rude? you are tellin your customer to leave becouse of dis-satisfaction.
    I'm Zafar Ahmed.
    I provide
    SEO Services & eMarketing consultancy
    I'll be glad to hear from you

Quote Originally Posted by Zafar Ahmed
    Isn't that a bit rude? you are tellin your customer to leave becouse of dis-satisfaction.
    He's not telling him to leave, he's saying that if the customer isn't satisfied with the quality of their service within 30 days, they'll issue a refund.

How is that rude?

Quote Originally Posted by Zafar Ahmed
    No, I was not being rude. I was just informing that if IN CASE the customer is not satisfied, we will refund them accordingly and within the first 30 days, it's full refund. Sorry if you get my meaning wrong earlier.

As a web hosting provider, we definitely won't want our customers to leave. In fact, we will provide the best for our clients so that they are happy with us. When customers are happy, we are happy too.
    SEO Explained in Video | The SEO Experts that increase your website traffic. Here you go: SEO

Re

Thanks guys all your replies and ideas. It was great to have friends like you.

Thanks Again.

Sourav

If your web page loading time is slow, find new host.
    Webmaster Magazine
    Online magazine providing the latest Internet news and webmaster know-how articles and resources in web developments, ecommerce and seo fields.
    Keyword Advisor
    Use our keyword advisor to check your keyword competitive rate.