Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Choosing between InMotionHosting and HostGator

I have been reading this forum for hours and my brain is spinning. I do appreciate everything I have read however, and it has helped me narrow my focus and phrase my question right (I think!)

Basically what I am looking for is a hosting provider where I can have several domains. One of the domains would be my personal website which is the one I am already running, which has my blog (wordpress), pictures and other things on it. Another would be the site that I am about to start up to use as a writer's site, hopefully that will eventually end up drawing decent amounts of traffic. I'd have a few other domains for fun, but no plans right now.

I am currently hosted on InMotionHosting where I have been for over 3 years and had no issues with. I am on their Power plan which has everything I want except for the fact that they only allow 1 domain, although I can add on another for $4. (That was the price last time I checked.) The Power plan iis $9.95 a month, which includes 60,000 disk space and 750gb transfer. If I upgrade to the Pro Plan it'd be 90,000 disk space and 1000gb transfer and 6 domains for $19.95

The other hosting provider that I found from checking on the boards would be the HostGator site. Either the Baby plan with 3,500 disk space and 75gb transfer for $9.95 or the Swamp plan with 10,000 disk space and 100gb transfer for $14.95 and both have unlimited domains.

My uncertainty though comes from figuring out what type of numbers a high traffic site(s) would create? I'm not planning on video or music, maybe a few flash animations would be all, but there would be images and a forum(s) and webblogs, etc. For the new site I would be trying to drum up quite a bit of traffic, but I am honestly not sure what type of numbers I should be aiming at work storage and/or transfer. I really like IMH, but if I can get everything I need and unlimited domains for less than their $20 a month I am tempted to go for it. (Reliability is also important which is why I am not looking at the really cheap services.)

So I guess my question after all that is, Does it seem like it would be better of for me to stick with IMH so that if my traffic got that high I'd be set, or is it unlikely that a personal site would go higher than what HG offers so I'd be better off going that route and saving 60-120 bucks a year? I'd appreciate any feedback. (Or, if anyone wants to mention a plan I might not have considered - I have looked at a lot.)

As a side note, after reading so many posts, I am now going with NameCheap to register my new domains as opposed to GoDaddy where I had registered my current domain several years ago! (They are definitally different now.)

Hi Onyx,

Don't over stress yourself with this, if I were you I would kindly ask InMotionHosting first if they will make a deal for you and let you host multiple domains on their $9.95 plan since you've been such a long time customer and stayed with them over the past three years.

Chances are you won't need so much bandwidth or disk space with IMHosting but do note that it's always better to have a package with room for growth, but do watch out for hosts that sell more than they can provide.

It doesnt seem like it's a matter of who is better here between the two hosts as you said IMHosting have been good to you for the past 3 years, so if you're willing to spend more money and stay with them then thats your choice, or if you don't mind spending time to transfer over to HostGator and taking a small risk then I'd say go for it, though I'm sure both hosts shouldnt give you any problems in terms of uptime and reliability.

Good luck!
    █• Taskade - To-Do List & Tasks All-in-One To-Do List & Mind Map App for Remote Teams
    █• Simple and shareable to-do lists for web, mobile, and desktop
    █• To-Do List Templates 300+ shareable templates and productivity workflows
    █• Get things done, faster and smarter! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Hi Certex -

I am more trying to figure out if I need the higher numbers (but only 6 domains) that IMH provides, or if the amount that HG has will be more than adequate and then I can have unlimited domains as well as a lower price to boot.

(As a side note, I did ask IMH if they would allow me to have additional domains, and they said I'd have to pay $4 a month for each. That was about a year and a half ago, it might be worth it to try again I guess)

Would appreciate a review of InMotion because there are very few reviews on that host, and your three-year-experience would be extremely helpful.

I am particularly interested in download speed, server load, speed and knowledge of support staff, uptime/downtime.

To be totally honest I haven't tracked all of that for quite a while. I did when I first switched over, but since then I really haven't had any issues with them. Their upload speed is really good though, I've uploaded large files without any issue, and their support has has always been pretty good about getting back to me very quickly. (I typically email them rather than call.)

The only reason I am thinking abouut switching is I don't want to pay $10 more when all I want over what I have is more domains. I just found out the price is 2.50 a month for each add-on domian, but I can get unlimited for the same price with other plans, so I looking very seriously at switching. Other than the domain issue, I am very happy with them however.

I should proabably also mention that I have used a couple of different blogging programs, had several sub-domians and email accounts and used their forum program without any issue.

I have used HG in the past. I left them a couple years ago. They are pretty reputable since they have been around for awhile. As for IMHosting, I have heard good things about them but I have no personal experience with them. Sorry!
    REVCOM - Hosting websites since 2004!
    Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting & Dedicated Servers
    Offers the Cueburst Support Ticket System Exclusively
    Follow us on Twitter! @REVCOM_LLC

It all comes down to whether you want to move from a providor you know, trust and are happy with.

We have used Hostgator and never had issue with them and would highly recommend them as their plans do offer what you are looking for at at a decent price.

You'll probably find you don't use all your bandwidth thats included in the plans and you could always upgrade at a later date if need be.

If you have the cash, why dont you take out a baby plan and test it for a month. If your not happy then just stick with IM.
    IndigoHosts
    Linux Shared & Reseller Hosting
    Instant Activation on all plans
    www.indigohosts.co.uk

For now I am going to stick with IMH and pay the 2.5 for one additional domain (which at the moment is what I need) and then see if they add in free domains as they upgrade thier packages every year. I am also going to start tracking the numbers so I know if I want to switch. thanks for the replies

Give them a try and let us know how they treated you. Good luck
    Web2.0 Hosting Directory WH-D.com Empowering our users!

I've used both for my site and IMHO Inmotion clearly has the better hosting as far as uptime, reliability, server speed, and low server loads go. No doubt about it.

Their support, while not quite as fast in replying as Hostgator's, consists of people who generally have more of a clue from my experience - and don't fumble around as much to get things done.

But if you are running a forum + blog etc, make sure you have a decent plan and don't try to skimp on $$$. Forums, even low traffic ones, can be very intensive on the server and require ample ram at a minimum.

I recently moved my site away from Inmotion only because our forum was just too busy for the small VPS package we had there. It's kind of regrettable because the actual hosting was quite good!

TZ

Quote Originally Posted by TotalZen
    I've used both for my site and IMHO Inmotion clearly has the better hosting as far as uptime, reliability, server speed, and low server loads go. No doubt about it.

Their support, while not quite as fast in replying as Hostgator's, consists of people who generally have more of a clue from my experience - and don't fumble around as much to get things done.

TZ
    Appreciate the review of InMotion. Reviews on this host are hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by OnyxEyez
    I have been reading this forum for hours and my brain is spinning. I do appreciate everything I have read however, and it has helped me narrow my focus and phrase my question right (I think!)

Basically what I am looking for is a hosting provider where I can have several domains. One of the domains would be my personal website which is the one I am already running, which has my blog (wordpress), pictures and other things on it. Another would be the site that I am about to start up to use as a writer's site, hopefully that will eventually end up drawing decent amounts of traffic. I'd have a few other domains for fun, but no plans right now.

I am currently hosted on InMotionHosting where I have been for over 3 years and had no issues with. I am on their Power plan which has everything I want except for the fact that they only allow 1 domain, although I can add on another for $4. (That was the price last time I checked.) The Power plan iis $9.95 a month, which includes 60,000 disk space and 750gb transfer. If I upgrade to the Pro Plan it'd be 90,000 disk space and 1000gb transfer and 6 domains for $19.95

The other hosting provider that I found from checking on the boards would be the HostGator site. Either the Baby plan with 3,500 disk space and 75gb transfer for $9.95 or the Swamp plan with 10,000 disk space and 100gb transfer for $14.95 and both have unlimited domains.

My uncertainty though comes from figuring out what type of numbers a high traffic site(s) would create? I'm not planning on video or music, maybe a few flash animations would be all, but there would be images and a forum(s) and webblogs, etc. For the new site I would be trying to drum up quite a bit of traffic, but I am honestly not sure what type of numbers I should be aiming at work storage and/or transfer. I really like IMH, but if I can get everything I need and unlimited domains for less than their $20 a month I am tempted to go for it. (Reliability is also important which is why I am not looking at the really cheap services.)

So I guess my question after all that is, Does it seem like it would be better of for me to stick with IMH so that if my traffic got that high I'd be set, or is it unlikely that a personal site would go higher than what HG offers so I'd be better off going that route and saving 60-120 bucks a year? I'd appreciate any feedback. (Or, if anyone wants to mention a plan I might not have considered - I have looked at a lot.)

As a side note, after reading so many posts, I am now going with NameCheap to register my new domains as opposed to GoDaddy where I had registered my current domain several years ago! (They are definitally different now.)
    hi, seem like i can recommend here is BABY plan or above. with hostgator 9.95 baby plan. with right discount code. you can get the first month free, where 9.94 is rebated from your order.

always go for baby plan and above, cause of the 99.9% uptime guarantee. this will suite your needs.

pm me if you need to coupon. tq

I came here tonight looking for a host for a friend's new WordPress site and found this in a search. These hosts' smallest plans are more than this new site needs, so I won't be using them for this new venture, but here's a brief word on my experience -

I switched from HostGator to InMotionHosting in February 2006. InMotionHosting has been great, with quick and effective communication, informative answers provided by technicians who sound knowledgeable, and very little downtime. With users online all the time, minor downtimes are noticed, and rarely happen. They proactively offered me a free month extra for neglecting to advise me of a downtime in advance. I can easily recommend them as a webhost.

cloacking or redirection

Quote Originally Posted by OnyxEyez
    I am currently hosted on InMotionHosting where I have been for over 3 years and had no issues with.
    Three years and no issues? I would not move to another host. As you need just one account maybe you can ask them for domain pointers so that you can point your new domain to any folder within your main domain.

In case they do not, you could try a cloacking service, or a URL redirection server. Email is redirected, too. They charge less than $10.00 a year.

Hope it helps
    Last edited by freeflyer; 10-21-2006 at 11:39 PM.
    Gonzalo
    "To venture is to risk one's life; not to venture is to lose one's reason to live"

I don't know about InMotionHosting, but I have several sites (using PHP + MySQL) hosted at HostGator. Until now HG was pretty good. They had only one breakdown several weeks ago (due to a cPanel exploit, as I've heard).

But there are another alternatives also.

It would figure that the one night in the entire time I've been with InMotionHosting I write a brief review and within hours the site is down. Haha. But at least I can be fairly confident, based on past experience, that they will answer to what the issue is as soon as they're back up.

edit: and it is, after all, 3:00 a.m. Pacific/ 6:00 a.m. Eastern on a Sunday morning - best time of the week for a host to be unavailable, if they must be.

Quote Originally Posted by astor
    It would figure that the one night in the entire time I've been with InMotionHosting I write a brief review and within hours the site is down. Haha. But at least I can be fairly confident, based on past experience, that they will answer to what the issue is as soon as they're back up.

edit: and it is, after all, 3:00 a.m. Pacific/ 6:00 a.m. Eastern on a Sunday morning - best time of the week for a host to be unavailable, if they must be.

Appreciate the update. How long was your site down this time, and since you first started with InMotionHosting in February 2006, how much total downtime have you had over how many incidents?

Quote Originally Posted by reviews
    Appreciate the update. How long was your site down this time, and since you first started with InMotionHosting in February 2006, how much total downtime have you had over how many incidents?
    It was from approximately 1 a.m. to 4 a.m. Pacific. One thing I like about them is rapid response time with a real answer about what the problem is: they advised me the data center building was being rewired, and a few intermittent few-minutes-long outages followed as various services were being restarted, and the server has been humming along just fine since.

We had another outage for about 2 1/2 hours at least six months ago, I believe on a Saturday afternoon. I wasn't around at the time and my other site admin dealt with it, so I'm not sure/can't find the communication re: exactly what that issue was that time. Other than that, there is only an occasional brief downtime of a few minutes here and there, perhaps every two weeks or so, and usually in 'off-peak' hours. Emailing their support address results in a ticket instantly created and a real answer following shortly.

Of the five shared hosting plans I've used, InMotion definitely has the best communication by far. Even though they don't claim 24-hour telephone service, I find I never have to call them with a problem. I always get a good and informative response by email. The only time I've talked to them on the phone is when I signed up. Having experienced my share of incompetence or unavailability prior to that time, I verified they were accessible during posted business hours and sounded knowledgeable on the phone.

InMotionHosting has been showing up a lot lately. what is up with that?
    GS RichCopy 360 Enterprise - Voted #1 for data migration and replication in terms of performance and features. Replicate data across between servers in the same network, WAN, or even across the internet - Many customer call it RSync for Windows

Quote Originally Posted by astor
    It was from approximately 1 a.m. to 4 a.m. Pacific. One thing I like about them is rapid response time with a real answer about what the problem is: they advised me the data center building was being rewired, and a few intermittent few-minutes-long outages followed as various services were being restarted, and the server has been humming along just fine since.

Thanks again. Please explain: You mentioned that your site was down for three hours, but the InMotionHosting response said "few intermittent few-minutes."

Quote Originally Posted by ITAhmed
    InMotionHosting has been showing up a lot lately. what is up with that?
    Are you from InMotionHosting? If not, please explain above posting.

Quote Originally Posted by reviews
    Thanks again. Please explain: You mentioned that your site was down for three hours, but the InMotionHosting response said "few intermittent few-minutes."
    The downtime during which they were rewiring the data center was approx. 3 hrs - the few minutes occurring randomly in the half-day following, they said, was due to various services being restarted in the servers. They apologized pretty thoroughly for this outage, saying it was out of the ordinary.

One of my users reports that twice or three times today the site was inaccessible for a minute or so each. This is unusual, but I again feel I should point out this is far less downtime overall than I experienced in an average week with other hosts, no matter what their claims are.

To follow-up from my previous reply in this thread, I can confirm that InMotion's uptime is very, very good - #1 out of all the various hosts I've tried actually.

The max I ever seen mine down was a few short minutes at the very most, and even that was rare (was with them for about 6 months btw).

IMHO the virtual VPS's (just cPanel, no WHM/Virtuozzo) they offer are perfect for smaller/ medium sized sites and they would definitely be who I'd use if I ever need to host a site of that size in the future.

I can't comment on their dedicated plan though as I've never used it.

Are you from InMotionHosting? If not, please explain above posting.
    As you noted earlier, there's not much to be found about this host, despite it being an old presence in the market. ITAhmed was wondering if there's a reason for the recent increase in attention that this host receives.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast