Downtime credit?

I am researching on a new dedicated server now. And I realize that many providers
    have policy that they will give you 100GB bandwith/1 hour downtime.
    I think this is not good because all of us are not using all of our bandwith limitation, there is no meaning of
    the extra bandwith.
    What do you think about this?

Quote Originally Posted by vnjporg
    I am researching on a new dedicated server now. And I realize that many providers
    have policy that they will give you 100GB bandwith/1 hour downtime.
    I think this is not good because all of us are not using all of our bandwith limitation, there is no meaning of
    the extra bandwith.
    What do you think about this?
    99.9% of the time, most providers will not go under their SLA agreements, so you really don't have to worry about this. Most networks are reliable enough these days that their guarantees can be met.
    Nick Hudson - Prevail Host LLC - http://www.prevail.host/
    Premium Quality cPanel Hosting Services - CloudLinux, LiteSpeed & SSD
    WHMControl - Secure Your Server Logins & Automate Password Changes

Thanks for your reply. I also saw some provider that do a refund for downtime. The server that I am using now, was down for 4 days. If I take the bandwith how many GB will I have? 9600 GB! Great! But I think that this 9600 gb is not equa to 4 days that all of my members had to wait

Downtime SLA is only for network downtime, not general server downtime.

And on top of that, if you read the downtime SLA for major providers, you'll often see clauses with a long list of exceptions, including weather, extreme circumstances (fiber cuts), etc., Its best to read through the fine print carefully before planning your circumstances/setup around the SLA.

Downtime for most providers will also exclude scheduled maintance and unless a managed server your individual dedicated will normally not be monitored either
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

You are right, technically you have no benefit for giving additional bandwidth as this freebie to the providers is not comparable to the value of lost business you (and probably your customers) may get due to long downtimes.

If you have a choice, go for those providers that give cash rebates on SLA failures rather than rebates in kind.

And I agree with rohitj that you should read the fine print carefully.
    Don't Lose Your Website Ever Again!
    Backup All Your Domains and MySQL Databases Automatically
    Grab this Website Backup Software today.