Own name server - advantages/disadvantages?

Since I'm pretty new to web hosting I'll post a question and if it's to silly please sorry about taht .

What are some advantages/disadvantages of naming/having your own name servers.

With my current host I did set up the names for my name servers so I'm wondering what is the deal.

Thank you!

Advantages: You can have your own private nameservers to give to your clients so your nameservers are branded to your company.

Disadvantages: I can't really think of any... if they're not set up properly, they may cause issues, other than that, I don't think there are many... anyone else know of more disadvantages?
    Othio Hosting - Private-Label cPanel Reseller Hosting
    True 24x7 Support | SSD Storage | cPanel+WHM | R1Soft Backups

Thank you adakist. Maybe the question sounded stupid but hey it's a question

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by chicagoaddi
    Thank you adakist. Maybe the question sounded stupid but hey it's a question

Thanks again.
    No such thing as a stupid question.

adakist pretty much summed it up. I can't see any downside to having your own nameservers. It's a useful tool for resellers and developers alike.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

There is really no disadvantages as everyone else said =)
    Alex Maleki -/- 1.866.596.8401
    iTeraWeb Solutions -\- Quality cPanel, Unlimited Reseller, and A-Z VoIP Termination.
    http://www.iteraweb.com | 24x7x365 Phone/Chat Support

ok thank you both

Advantage is the professionalism / branding that can come with having your own name servers, along with added control. The only disadvantage I can forsee is if your provider charges you for IPs but most reseller hosting plans do come with a dedicated IP.

One of the ways to create name servers is using the domain management features. you shall not need to have a dedicated IP in that case. That can work ok.

Hello,

If you are using a shared hosting with shared name servers there is always a risk of your site and your clients site going down if the name servers go down. Te advantage is that you can save the cost of prviate name servers as it requires addtional cost.

Private name servers required dedicated IP and also required to be registered, which requires additional cost. The advantage of having the private name servers are that the sites does not go offline when the name servers are down and even if it goes down you need not wait for the hosting company to bring those name servers up in case of shared hosting.

Always use private name servers, instead of public name servers.

Thank you.

Regards,

Another advantage for Personal Namesevers is if you decide to host somewhere else, only you (the Reseller) need to make changes with a Registrar. As all your Clients are using "your" Nameservers, they do not need to do anything. And for you, the Reseller, it only requires that you update your new IP addresses; using the ones provided to you by your new Hoster.
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available

good info...thank you

Whoaa - hang on a minute!

What we dont know is your skill level but if you are using shared hosting, i would guess maybe you arent a qualified (life qualifications not paperwork!) sys admin.

Do you understand how to manually configure name servers and can troubleshoot them when something goes wrong? I have been doing it for years and still screw it up sometimes but at least when i do i can look at the zone file and see what i did and correct it. For a newbie, that may not be so apparent. Of course you can get a control panel for dns but if you are serious about hosting and uptime i would say you should understand BIND, zone files and configuration manually or you will potentially come unstuck.

If something does go wrong, you will have a very steep learning curve while your clients are shouting at you.

Do you know how to secure and maintain linux servers so they dont get hacked?

Bear in mind that name servers are like *the* key ingredient in every service you offer - if it doesnt work, nothing else works.

Also, ns0 and ns1 are supposed to be on separate networks or you get issues with clients pointing out warnings from dns checking sites. So you would need maybe two providers (im assuming you would get like a vps) which adds to costs. And you need to understand various other things like reverse dns entries and mx records so your clients' mail works properly etc.

So i wouldnt just jump in there. If you are after the ns0/1.yourdomain.com being the NS for all your clients' domains then i would investigate whether your current hosting provider can accommodate that in their reseller deal - i know some do. Registering name servers at your registration provider isnt rocket science and last time i looked didnt actually cost anything (maybe it does now?).

Then you can rely on their team of non newbies to maintain dns for you but still have the branded NS that you want without the potential downsides (you would still need to understand conceptually how dns works from the pov of cnames and A records and mx records unless the current provider does standard templates for domains). It also means you get to focus on making money by adding clients rather than learning tech that isnt really necessary until you get a bit bigger.

Hope that wasnt too much of a downer

Good luck with hosting.

Ashpash

As some of the persons above said, it's proffessional = fact which attracts more clients and gives some kind of priority to your company. Also it might prevent hacking (not really).

Own dns server ? You must keep your dns server live in 24hourx30days, having backup server, backup ISP etc. Too many hacker who try to make your dns server down...

I recommend you to use cPanel DNS Only to host your DNS Servers, you will be secure

I have a single VPS hosting a single domain. Does it make sense for me to have my own nameservers (ns0 and ns1) on that VPS? Sorry for bringing this thread back to life, but there is an advantage to this when moving registrars, but I do see a lot of problems if the server happens to go down. Any advice?

Oops I just realized that this thread is under Reseller Hosting. My bad--I came in from Google. Please ignore me if you must.
    Last edited by MuddiedKnees; 09-05-2013 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Posted on the wrong section.

In your situation it's probably best to use the DNS services offered by your registrar. Also, namecheap and rackspace offer free dns hosting services, just in case dns hosting was not included in your domain purchase.
    WHMEasyBackup.com - Take Control Of Your Backups!
    Complete Backup Solution For WHM Reseller Accounts

Thanks, DWS2006! I originally thought that my own nameservers was great, until I realize that I could not match availability and redundancy offered by my registrar.

It's nice to have your own "branded" nameserver names rather than the host's own, but there's a simple way a host can at least make it less obvious that a customer's domain uses the main DNS servers. Lots of places do this - provide alternative names that will use the same DNS control panel as the main ones. As well as "ns.hostingcompanyname.com" they might let you point a domain to something like "ns.myownnameserver.com"
    As others have said, ideally you would get nameservers from different hosts. You might be able to get them in different physical locations / IP ranges from one larger company, and they may then even give you a system to just edit DNS for all of them once rather than twice or more.
    If you like the extra control and are comfortable managing the settings, you can do this on 2 or more of your own VPS/DS.
    For a single domain on a single VPS, as DWS2006 said I wouldn't see it as worthwhile.
    Nick Walters - Hosting Consultant
    Daily Internet || www.Daily.co.uk
    Call us on 0845 466 2100 or email helpdesk@daily.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Website Rob View Post
    Another advantage for Personal Namesevers is if you decide to host somewhere else, only you (the Reseller) need to make changes with a Registrar. As all your Clients are using "your" Nameservers, they do not need to do anything. And for you, the Reseller, it only requires that you update your new IP addresses; using the ones provided to you by your new Hoster.
    This is the BIGGEST advantage.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

Thanks, Guys, for the great input. Yes, I realize that having my own nameservers really help with registrar transfers--I am currently moving from MelbourneIT to Namecheap for cost and support reasons.

However, after I move to Namecheap, I plan to use Namecheap nameservers instead of the ones I have running on my VPS. My main reason is redundancy and reliability (both my nameservers are currently on the same VPS).

BTW, I also did some tests on HostTracker and found that my current DNS response times are quite slow compared to when accessing namecheap.com--is this attributable to the fact that my nameservers are running on a simple VPS?

Additional question is are there any disadvantages to vanity nameservers set up in cPanel as subdomain of the main domain?

I did this - cPanel > DNS zone editor > A Record where I entered ns1.maydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com

In my domain registrar I entered the IP addresses of the nameservers given by my host.

Anything wrong with such setup? The website was sometimes down, but sometimes up. I am wondering is it because of the vanity nameservers or is the host having a crappy service? He's one of those dirty cheap hosts.

I just moved my reseller hosting from namecheap to another who transferred all sites an everything for me. That was nice. Reason for the move was speed and cost of the new host. I had the option to use my old nameserver or get new ones, I stupidly opted for new ones which created havoc for namecheap since they tend to glue domains to dns. Very difficult to change, had to almost force them to do it.
    Glad I was small then
    21 sites and 28 domains ha to be changed for dns
    New site host is way more than 2X the speed of namecheap. Namecheap has good support as long as you have simple issues.
    Dave Mason
    ALDA Consulting
    and Others

Having your own nameservers has so many advantages as everyone explained on this thread. I tried to think of any disadvantages , but couldn't come up with any
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>