Can i share a dedicated box ?

Hi, im wondering if im legal to do that ? I cant afford a dedicated box at the moment. So i am thinking to lease half of the box. How is that possible ? Is that legal ?

You could do a VPS which, in essence, is somewhat the same except more secure. You may also wish to speak to a hosting company, who can set you up with a large portion of disk space, bw, and cpu at a reasonable price.

Well, you can always share a dedicated server but there can be one point of contact and payment with the datacenter/webhost. If you want to share, share it with someone you know and who could pay you his/her half . You will also need to work out who would have administrative access to the server.

Sharing with someone you do not know can be risky because you never know what they would do and whether they would pay.

Best is to get someone you can really afford, a VPS is cool if you need administrative access, if not, a reseller account or some virtual accounts would be good enough.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

Best bet is to find someone with a Dedicated Server then you already know they pay :p

If you know of 2 other people with a similar need you could buy a server and load Virtuozzo 3 VPS pack for pretty cheap. Each of you would have your own 1/3 of the server. As the previous post mentions, only one person would likely be the billing contact with the host.
    Steve Eschweiler- Hivelocity- Director of Operations
    Bare Metal Servers. Colocation. Private Cloud.
    Customers in over 130 countries. Privately owned and operated data centers.
    Limited Supply Outlet Server Specials

Sharing a dedicated server is not the best idea. Because most people will want full access to the server if you are sharing it, there is always a possibility they may screw something up.

If you do decide to share, definitely make sure you trust the ethics and competency of the person you're sharing with. There's nothing to say that the person who's actually responsible for the server won't stop paying the bills or wipe out all of your data. Of course, the same could be said about buying from an unscrupulous reseller.

Now selling BigVPS's!
    Jacksonville Colocation and dedicated servers by colo4jax
    We are *not* a reseller. We own our servers, switches, routers and racks.

Hm... right. That's the difficult part. I think i will start asking around my friends if they need a box first before i approach someone that i donno. Neways.. THANKS !

You can, if you can find someone who is willing to share with u. I remember there were these posts in the marketplace forum.
    Webmaster Magazine
    Online magazine providing the latest Internet news and webmaster know-how articles and resources in web developments, ecommerce and seo fields.
    Keyword Advisor
    Use our keyword advisor to check your keyword competitive rate.

If you know you need a partner to aford the bill of a dedicated server, why not just get a VPS to start with (about 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of even the most budget dedicated box out there). Same root access and abilities (just a little less resources but you would of had to share them anyway with a partner). Then you dont have to worry about your partner missing the bill payment and leaving you stuck to pay double.
    TurnKey Internet, Inc : phone 1.518.618.0999 and 1.877.539.4638 | Contact Us
    Cloud Servers | Dedicated Servers | Colocation | VPS | Mail Services | Reseller hosting
    New York / East Coast Green Datacenter

As for me the best solution - find a parnter and pay together

You don't mention what kind of specs you need, and what your motivation is for moving to a dedicated. If it's control (Root access) then you are better either procuring the server your self (with management), and leasing out 1/2 the server or going with VPS. I'm not a fan of VPS, there is simply too much overhead with the redundant apache, mysql, cpanel, etc processes.

If it's CPU time, Bandwidth, or Disk Space that you need, then you could also look for a company that specializes in offering shared servers with a finite number of accounts (2-4 accounts for example).

-Jason
    Have you considered Semi-dedicated Hosting? 4 - 8 accounts per server. Less overhead than VPS, better performance for the price.
    DopeDomains.com - 15,000 New Domains a day. indexed by Pagerank, backlinks, Hits, and Length.

The problem is that i need alot of BW, like 700GB per month. I found a host that can offer me 2TB per month for 39Euro. Thus im thinking to lease the other half. Btw, VPS don offer that much. Please correct me if im wrong

VPS. You can easily set up the box so that the two of you each have 50/50 split on the resources to help prevent one from abusing it. CPU and RAM is something that could be effected. I would PM a VPS member on WHT to get further clarification on how you might set this up to be a workable solution for you.

With the cost going down these days - you could just get your a VPS with another company or a fully managed server through SL or LT resellers.

CPU and RAM is not my major concern. Im just running a php script the require very little CPU power, no database. However, the bandwidth will be my concern. I will need at least 750GB per month.

For 750gb/mo, your going to have to pay at LEAST $50/mo regardless of the solution you choose, and $75 is probably a more reasonable estimate.

I would email dedicated resellers, and semi-dedicated hosts and ask for quotes, I'm not sure you will find exact plan you need (low disk, low ram, high bandwidth) out of the box. But most small-medium providers could work something out for you if you ask them directly.

-Jason
    Last edited by MysticServer; 10-16-2006 at 12:24 PM.
    Have you considered Semi-dedicated Hosting? 4 - 8 accounts per server. Less overhead than VPS, better performance for the price.
    DopeDomains.com - 15,000 New Domains a day. indexed by Pagerank, backlinks, Hits, and Length.

Wow.. Thanks ! Really appreciate for the help. I would like to get my 1st server in this few weeks time..

Btw, how can i credit you for this ?

go with a VPS if you can afford one, you can get decent deals for around £24 a month, even less.

when i had my VPS i paid £24 a month for 2TB bandwidth and a 25GB HD, 512MB RAM using windows 2003 sever.

its easy to use and its like using your computer at home

a dedicated will really empty your pocket, most of them require additional charges to set up the most basic things.

Quote Originally Posted by Myfileplace
    go with a VPS if you can afford one, you can get decent deals for around 24 a month, even less.

when i had my VPS i paid 24 a month for 2TB bandwidth and a 25GB HD, 512MB RAM using windows 2003 sever.

its easy to use and its like using your computer at home

a dedicated will really empty your pocket, most of them require additional charges to set up the most basic things.
    May i know which VPS are you using ? really interested. Suit my needs and budget

i had mine from a company called http://www.exportal.pl/ , i orginally had a dedicated, but requested them to move me to VPS.

Not true; "requests for hosting are not appropriate in any category" as per the rules.

Now selling BigVPS's!
    Jacksonville Colocation and dedicated servers by colo4jax
    We are *not* a reseller. We own our servers, switches, routers and racks.

Hehe, well.. i am getting my server from exportal.pl
    Can anyone tell me what do i have to do to make my website online ? Sorry. i am very very new to this server thing.

oh.. the server will have suse 9.3 installed. They say MINIMUM installation. I have to do the rest. May i know what i have to do after getting the server ?