Looking for some recommendations

I am looking for a web host that offers 1gb of disk space with cPanel, for no more than $5/month. I'm looking for someone who is highly regarded and has been in business for a long time.

This is for a family website, so I don't care about things such as uptime (as long as it's not unreasonable) or bandwidth. The reason I require cPanel is because that is what my current webhost has, and it would be easier to transfer my website to another cPanel webhost.

I am looking to switch is because my current webhost went through a lot of changes over the last year, constantly increasing disk space and bandwidth for the same monthly price, as my website has gotten slower and slower.

I know I can find something in the hosting offers subforum, but I don't have a lot of trust in newly founded webhosts.

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by CVET
    I am looking for a web host that offers 1gb of disk space with cPanel, for no more than $5/month. I'm looking for someone who is highly regarded and has been in business for a long time.

I am looking to switch is because my current webhost went through a lot of changes over the last year, constantly increasing disk space and bandwidth for the same monthly price, as my website has gotten slower and slower.

Thanks in advance!
    Well they are probably just trying to compete but unfortunately looks like their clients are the one to suffer. Sounds like they are jamming those accounts on the server.
    I would be curious how much disk space and BW you are actually "currently" using?
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

Hmm, honestly with hosts you truly get what you pay for. I would bump up your price just a bit if you want something quick and reliable. You might be able to get away with $5/mo if you pay yearly and have a static site. I'm assuming you don't need things such as PHP and mySQL?

I am using 500mb, but as I add photos, that number keeps growing.

I notice that everyone asking for a recommendation gets at least one "up your price" response. I expected that, but I really don't think I am asking for too much.

With your budget and requitements, you should not have a problem finding a decent host.
    GS RichCopy 360 Enterprise - Voted #1 for data migration and replication in terms of performance and features. Replicate data across between servers in the same network, WAS, or even across the internet

Gosh, look at these responses guys!
    One response seems to be "up your budget" and the next "your budget is fine"
    Its maddening.

To the OP, CVET,
    Honestly what I would do is browse the forums a little and see if you can find reviews. This forum does NOT have a seperate area for "reviews" so you have to sort through threads.
    If you are able to compile a short list you may try running the co. name on google.com and see what results.
    Also if you want to try some of the hosting directories and do a search based on your needs (e.g. disk space, bandwidth) then try
    www.hostsearch.com
    www.webhostdir.com
    Whatever you are able to come up with then definitely contact your potential host with some pre-sales questions BEFORE signing up. You might be able to weed some out just by doing that. Its over-whelming for most host seekers now. The market is just TOO saturated, with TOO MANY hosts.
    Good Luck
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

Martie - thanks, those are very helpful websites! I was actually hoping to get some concrete recommendations (not looking very likely at the rate this is going), but hostsearch.com looks like a good place to do my own research.

I tried to find something like that earlier, but most of the sites I found turned out to be collections of paid advertisements for hosting companies, rather than independent review websites.

I just used domaintools.com to find out how many sites are hosted on the same server as mine. 719!!! I knew something was wrong, but I had no idea it was this bad.

Quote Originally Posted by CVET
    I just used domaintools.com to find out how many sites are hosted on the same server as mine. 719!!! I knew something was wrong, but I had no idea it was this bad.
    What did you click on to find that out?
    GS RichCopy 360 Enterprise - Voted #1 for data migration and replication in terms of performance and features. Replicate data across between servers in the same network, WAS, or even across the internet

I did a whois search for my domain name, then looked under the Reverse IP heading on the right hand side (middle of the page).

What type of server is that 719 on though. There are alot of factors that need to be thought of before just saying that 719 sites on one server is so bad. Those sites may or may not be resource hogs. As Martie suggested, look around some review sites and get fimilar with their customers stand point and go from there. Another great suggestion from her is to ask questions directly from the company. This is a good way to get a feel of the response times, etc. Uptime, bandwidth, etc may not be a big worry to you now, but it will be if there is little uptime. Do your research, and weigh out your options.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>