using spamhaus xbl in postfix

Hi

To limit the amount of spam my server recieves I would like to block mails on the spamhaus xbl list. I have added the following item to my smtpd_recipient_restrictions in my postfix main.cf but it don't seem to work (Spamassasin stil says I recieve emails that are listed in the xbl).

What could be wrong?

Code:
    smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks, check_relay_domains, reject_maps_rbl, reject_rbl_client sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org
    Checkout www.crunzh.com for nice freeware programs. Including a program for monitoring your webserver.
    Any opinions in this post, unless otherwise noted, are my own personal opinions.

DO you have anything defined for reject_maps_rbl? If not, remove it, assuming you are running 2.x version of Postfix, not 1.x which is where that command had meaning.

reject_rbl_client sbl-xbl.spamhause.org

is what does the trick. And if you are running 1.x, might be a good time to upgrade.

If that change, plus a postfix reload, doesn't solve it then more digging through your main.cf is needed. Also, if your postfix has somehow been configured to pass mail off to spamassassin first, it will of course detect UCE from senders in spamhaus's list.

Suggestion: consider implementing policyd-weight; this approach allows you to fail mail connections based on a weighted ranking of various RBL's, rather than failing if just one matches. Some might find this leads to fewer false positives. It definitely reduces the load hitting follow-on filters like spamassassin.
    “Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under
    considerable economic stress at this period in history.”

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I am running version 2.1. For the reject_maps_rbl I have the following defined:
    maps_rbl_domains = relays.ordb.org

So should every thing look fine then?
    Checkout www.crunzh.com for nice freeware programs. Including a program for monitoring your webserver.
    Any opinions in this post, unless otherwise noted, are my own personal opinions.

You've got some postfix 1.x-isms in your 2.x main.cf. Remove maps_rbl_domains and reject_maps_rbl (just comment them out or copy and comment for now) and your smtpd_recipient_restrictions ought to then look like this:

Code:
    smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks, 
       check_relay_domains, 
       reject_rbl_client sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org,
       reject_rbl_client relays.ordb.org
    postfix reload and then see what happens.
    “Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under
    considerable economic stress at this period in history.”

Thanks, I will try that