Major host migration.

Hi all.

We are in the final preperation stages of migrating roughly 15 servers worth of shared hosting clients to our own equipment in a different datacentre. The migration will be completed over ~6 weeks, expecting to do 2-3 servers per week.

We will be moving from a Plesk for Linux 7.5 configuration on Red Hat to Plesk for Linux 8 CentOS 4.4.

Technically we have the migration sorted and from that perspective we are ready to go. At the same time we will be implementing 4PSA Central Logon and 4PSA DNS Manager.

I have really come here to seek opinions from those who may have completed a migration similar to this in the past, specifically for tips on things we should watch out for.

We plan to notify the customers 2 weeks prior to being migrated, which makes the first batch of notifications tomorrow. In these notifications I intend to inform the clients of issues that they may expect to run into, so far I have Relative / Absolute paths, The fact we are going from MySQL Compat Password mode to normal, and that we will be upgrading PHP and MySQL (Minor releases only, not major releases).

Can anyone add to this?

While I feel we are well prepared I am sure there are several things we have overlooked.

Cheers
    Nick.

I would make sure you keep a backup of everything for a few days after each move, to ensure it all works right. The MySQL may be an issue, as well as PHP. Just make sure you keep them backup's for a little while after the move.

Have you ever moved servers and accounts before? Or even something of this maginitude? How big is the biggest shared account you have ect?

Quote Originally Posted by JVS_Hosting
    I would make sure you keep a backup of everything for a few days after each move, to ensure it all works right.
    We don't plan to have the existing dedicated boxes terminated for at least 2 weeks after the migration so we should be right there.
    Have you ever moved servers and accounts before? Or even something of this maginitude? How big is the biggest shared account you have ect?
    We have done several moves before, both manually and with the Plesk Migration Manager. So this exercise should not be too different, it will just last for several extra weeks. The biggest of the servers should have no more then 20GB of data on them which will need to be pulled over, this is going to be the most time intensive section of the process. The problem we face is, as alot of our clients run database driven sites (Ie. E-Commerce) we believe it will be best to disable all accounts prior to the move to avoid data being lost. To the client this is going to seem like an awful lot of downtime. That being said the migrations are only being scheduled for Friday and Saturday nights starting no earlier then 8pm.

Thanks for the quick reply btw.

I would try and do it after 8 pm, mostly around midnight untill about 7 am or so. This will allow for the least amount of traffic, and seem as if its a shorter downtime. 20 GB shouldnt take more then 5 hours i would imagine. Disabling the sql and ftp access right before the move is a great idea, as i've had issues with my clients changing DB's and files on the ftp during the move, or right after, even though i repeatedly warned them of data loss if they did that right after or during the move. So kudo's and good luck friend.

-Shaun

One suggestion, if you want to keep downtime to an absolutle minimum is to transfer the 20GB one day one whilst the server is still at the original DC, then sdwitch off the site, transfer the databases in full, and rsync the rest - so only the changes will be transferred on the day. You will probably see very few files changed in that time.

You could even do it in bulk - copy all files to a CD and transfer that to the new DC.

I wouldn't like to turn an ecommerce site off at 8pm - which, if its they're consumer-orientated sites will be the busiest time of day.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good.