Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

* Fraud orders, more and more!

not sure, but was there an increase in fraud orders or just me ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan23
    not sure, but was there an increase in fraud orders or just me ?
    I had my first chargeback in 3 years a month ago...so its not just you
    Big things coming soon

Hi,

A nut signed up an eNom Reseller account last month and registered 8 domains x 2 years. However all orders were fraud.

I'm finding the best thing that we can do is make the web hosting community aware of it and do what we can together to put a stop to fraudsters.
    Big things coming soon

Quote Originally Posted by AnyDemo
    A nut signed up an eNom Reseller account last month and registered 8 domains x 2 years. However all orders were fraud.
    did enom catch it? what was the impact on you?

this month we had about $1500 in fraud orders all coming from

*@mac.com email address
    Last edited by Ivan23; 10-14-2006 at 11:28 PM.

this month we had about 1500 in fraud orders all coming from

*@mac.com email address
    Actually now that I see your signature, you were one of the companies that got hit by the same guy as me. lol
    Big things coming soon

wow a .mac address, i have a mac address, there a paid service so report it to apple. We have had alot of frauds too, its so hard to not get customers who use fraud credit cards.
    http://www.bbdimension.com - Website Design and Development from as low as 250 euros (limited time only) - 15yrs experience.

Looks like we got one a week or so ago, for our Australian hosting service. Used a USA address, @gmail.com email, and a who knows where from credit card to pay a year in advance.

Turns out it was a 23 year old kid from Ha dong in Vietnam. We easily found his real name, address, phone, as well as his various email addresses and domains registered to him. Got the little so-and-so's photo too! The idiot put it on our server along with a bunch of scantily clad girlie pics of his friends, an html containing a link to and VBscript code to run love.exe virus from one of his domains. He also left a copy of love.exe on our server.

Not sure if I should just pull the plug on him, report him or send him a friendly postcard!!

Do you reckon we'd get a reward from Visa for dobbing him in?

What is up with the *@mac.com e-mails.... It started to make me suspious of them all. I seriously wanted to just mark them all as fraud just to avoide hassles, but I know better not to judge them all over one (or few many) bad apples.

Overall fraud orders do seem on the rise in general.
    Sarah :c)

cPanelDemos.com - live remotely hosted cPanel & WHM demo hosting service.

There's an increase because kids don't know how not to be bitchy anymore.

I did not have any fraud orders so far. Hm...

I actually saw a DECREASE lol, there was a couple of months when it was a madness

I haven't had any fraud orders lately but due to the nature of my work I converse with clients on a regular basis so it's not a blind faith sale like webhosting.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Weve had 3 in the past week 2 of them from @mac.com addresses, one was from a yahoo address,
    CODES WORLD (Your Coding Resource)
    www.codesworld.info

Isn't there a way to avoid Fraud, e.g. use Fraudcall? or is it possible, e.g.

People can use can still get away through radical methods such as proxies via https to not show real IP, use Real Ph Number from VoIP to avoid identification?

I guess thats the problem with Instant Activation though. But I guess there would be holes through manual verification/activation aswell?

Common sense is the best way to check for fraud. 99% of the time if the order ip traces back to a datacenter it's fraud. Zipcode is invalid etc.

I use zipinfo.com to check zips
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Hello,

did enom catch it? what was the impact on you?
    I was informed by eNom that the orders were all fraud. eNom asked me to refill enough fund into my account so that they could deduct the amount.

Anyway eNom asked me to check with new resellers very carefully in order to minimize fraud orders from resellers.

I got a few signups for @itelgua.com with US IPs.. Obviously, I didn't approve the account & just refunded the full amount before any chargebacks.

We have actually seen a number of high-profile fraud orders (over $1000usd) in the past month.

Three, to be exact. Also, two fraudulent dedicated server orders.

3 dedicated servers so far,

what you use to prevent this on your system ?

3 dedicated servers so far,

what you use to prevent this on your system ?
    MaxMind, manual phone verification, mandatory Credit Card Authorization Form with photo ID and copy of front and back of the card for dedicated servers.
    Big things coming soon

Quote Originally Posted by Nick H
    MaxMind, manual phone verification, mandatory Credit Card Authorization Form with photo ID and copy of front and back of the card for dedicated servers.
    maxmind? i take it that you dont use modernbill

right now added fruadcall but thats only because of modernbill ( not the best ).

Photo ID sounds like a good idea

Hello,

You need to check for fraud orders through the payment gateway itself.

Payment gateway like 2checkout.com and paypal. These are the two widely used payment gateways. They check for the fraud orders and then state in the order itself that this order is a fake or fraud order.

Thank you.

Regards,

yes 2 weeks ago i got 5 and it really screwed me up for a bit, sorted that out though and got real good fraud protection now.
    - Steve D
    SERVBoston: Hosting since 2003
    Shared, Reseller, VPS.
    Top Notch Support from a veteran hosting company!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast