Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    233

    Tomcat/Jakarta - Good Installation HOW-TO?

    Hello -

    I'm looking to enable Java support for my customers, or at least for certain websites. I was wondering if anybody found a good solution for installing Jakarta and Tomcat, and whatever else is needed for full Java capability. I'd like to be able to support JSP and Servlets of course.

    Thanks,
    Ben Hughes

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,508

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    11,868
    I don't want to take you down, but I suggest to not try to provide jsp/servlets support if you're not familiarized with it, is not the same than provide php, perl, etc.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Servers
    Posts
    806
    Originally posted by Jedito
    I don't want to take you down, but I suggest to not try to provide jsp/servlets support if you're not familiarized with it, is not the same than provide php, perl, etc.
    Jedito,

    I see you provide JSP support what kind of problems do you face?
    Dedicated Servers cPanel Shared/Reseller Hosting
    VPS Backups Cloud Colocation Managed Services
    Webx Networks Serving world wide since 1997

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kuwait
    Posts
    679
    My guess would be ..

    lots of memory used up and a whole new system to learn.

    JSP/Servlets is a complicated system to administer. You have the java envrinment itself, which is not easy to admin, and on top of it you have the servelet environment and on top of it you have JSP's. You will be dealing with web-applications, Beans, Taglibs, CLASSPATH's, and lots of other concepts.
    Ahmad Alhashemi
    PHP, Apache, C, Python, Perl, SQL
    18 related BrainBench certificates

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Servers
    Posts
    806
    Originally posted by Ahmad
    My guess would be ..

    lots of memory used up and a whole new system to learn.

    JSP/Servlets is a complicated system to administer. You have the java envrinment itself, which is not easy to admin, and on top of it you have the servelet environment and on top of it you have JSP's. You will be dealing with web-applications, Beans, Taglibs, CLASSPATH's, and lots of other concepts.
    I have done all this since long but what I'm interested in what kind of problems arise for web hosts? One thing you have mentioned is lots of memory. That's one problem.

    What else? If everthing is configured as it should be, any problems out of nowhere?

    No? then let me jump in
    Dedicated Servers cPanel Shared/Reseller Hosting
    VPS Backups Cloud Colocation Managed Services
    Webx Networks Serving world wide since 1997

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    11,868
    Yes, memory leaks at Tomcat.
    Tomcat is a diferent kind of animal, you can't compare it with PHP, Perl, etc.
    Setting of private and shared JVM, Mysql Drivers, and a lot of things that I can't remember now.
    Oh.. BTW, Tomcat and mod_gzip doesn't like each other

    Also, I suggest to learn (if you don't already know) to program in java, it will save you a lot of time in troubleshooting.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Servers
    Posts
    806
    Thanks Jedito,

    I had a wild guess about the private JVM and shared memory problems. But it shouldn't be a big problem if you charge your customers according

    Originally posted by Jedito

    Also, I suggest to learn (if you don't already know) to program in java, it will save you a lot of time in troubleshooting.
    Actually I need to re-learn SCJP and done JSP programming for couple of projects but havn't touched Java for more than a year now

    Actually PHP is too cool to resist
    Dedicated Servers cPanel Shared/Reseller Hosting
    VPS Backups Cloud Colocation Managed Services
    Webx Networks Serving world wide since 1997

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •