Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ps3 !

Ps3 !

Whos actually planning to get the PS3 when its out, I mostly play xbox 360 but im thinking of the ps3.
    Web2.0 Hosting Directory WH-D.com Empowering our users!

I don't play games, I play life.

G
    PutFile.io Disrupting traditional file hosting.
    █ Signup Early and enjoy Unlimited space/bandwidth for your files hosting, Forever!
    █ No Ads.
    █ No Countdowns.

I'm not gonna drop $600 on a gaming console, until GTA IV comes out that is Really depends whether or not any games justify that price tag for me, I won't utilize the Blu-Ray features and I'm not much of a gamer but I'll give it a shot when it comes out and if it's good enough I might buy it, after the price drops a little at least.
    HostingChoice - Shared and Reseller Hosting
    - A+ customer support & 100% no-overselling guarantee.
    - Unlimited MySQL Databases and other great features.

MSN: [email protected] AIM: HCLiveHelp02

Yea it is pretty expensive I agree with you on that hehe
    Web2.0 Hosting Directory WH-D.com Empowering our users!

I dont play games much anymore, but I wouldnt touch the PlayStation 3, PlayStation in my opinion has been sold solely on its brand since the PlayStation 2 was released. Nothing unique or pioneering has come along with it.

I dont want to play Tomb Raider 187, Tekken 72 or Ridge Racer 130, that are just the same as their PS1/PS2 counterparts but with better graphics, I want to play new games that actually try to be different and revelutionise the industry.

The PlayStation 1 did this, the Dreamcast did this to an extent with unique games like Soul Calibur, Sonic Adventure, Crazy Taxi and MSR.

This is why the only console I am likely to buy is the Nintendo Wii.

Also, the pricing of the PS3 is ludacris. I think it will only be suitable for hardcore gamers who are prepared to spend £400+ on a games console.

The Xbox has a good price for its features and the Wii has an awsome price for a games consol at just £170. I think both these consoles will outsell the PS3, Sony have promised too much for the PS3 and to be honest I can't see them delivering, much like the PS2's famously touted "emotion engine", what difference has it actually made to gaming? None!

Yeah, the PS3 might be more powerful and offer better graphics then its rivals, but its going to cost a LOT more and I think the PlayStation brand is fast becoming stale. Much like what happened with the Nintendo brand, which is why they are no longer relying on brand appeal to sell the Wii, but instead focussing on the games, lowering the price to reasonable levels from the start and trying to revelutionise the way "wii" play games with the new controller etc...

Long live Xbox and Wii!
    Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

Have to disagree with Matt. I think playstaion has revolutionized gaming (but i have been called a playstation fanboy so i may be biased). Playstation brought computer like gaming graphics to a console that alone is enough for me.

But the Wii does look very cool and it already has a game that will make people buy it (twilight princess) and half the price of a PS3.

For me it will be a PS3 (yes i will pay $600) and the Wii just for twilight princess.

Sean
    How many web hosts does it take to screw in a light bulb?

I agree the original PlayStation was an awsome console, and one of the few major leaps in gaming history.

However, to be honest, what has the PlayStation 2 done that is significant? Its graphics were betttered by the Dreamcast (which imho was a better console and had much better games - the only reason why Sega pulled it was because it could not make up for the financial losses suffered during the 90's due to mis-management and lack of communication with the Sega 32X/Neptune/Mars/Saturn fiasco), which was released a year before hand, so it certainly wasnt offering anything new in the graphics front.

With regards to the games, they were just remakes/extensions of existing PS1 and PC games

And as I say, Sony bragged about the "emotion engine" for years before they released the PS2 and yet it hasnt changed anything with regards to games to be totally honest.

5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

PS3 too expensive, XBox 360, not as expensive, still too expensive, and I'll never use it.

EBgames just released a few preorders here. I picked up two. I doubt I'd keep them for myself as I doubt I'd play with it until more titles are released. Figured it would be good to pick up though as it'll be pretty hard to get your hands on them for the upcoming holiday season. Should make for a good turnaround on EBay.
    SeeksAdmin .:. Linux & Windows Server Management
    24/7 Coverage | 30 Day Guarantee | Fast Response Times
    Quality Outsourced Customer Support Services
    █ Drop Me A Line For Special Offers

Matt, if you've actually been paying attention to the gaming industry and actually have played some of the latest PS2 games (or at least have played the PS2 more than you do now), you wouldn't be saying that there aren't any original games on the PS2 and the Dreamcast having better games and graphics.

I agree that the PS2 launch titles is very weak compared to the Dreamcast, and that might be the reason of your remarks, but things changed very quickly.

If PS2 games are just an extension to PS1 franchises, then the same can be said for Nintendo (for the whole 2 decades) and Microsoft. Let's say... Halo 2 is just an extension to Halo 1. And Zelda: Twilight Princess is just an extension to Zelda: Ocarina of time...

But as I have already stated, Nintendo have realised they cannot sell on brand alone, and would you agree or disagree the controller and whole idea of Wii (from pricing to the fact its just a games console and nothering more) to the virtual console is totally unique when compared to the PlayStation 2/3??

And with regards to the Xbox, yes it is basically a PC extension, but the thing with it is, is that it is a PC at the cost of a games console.

The PS3 is way way overpriced and I believe is being sold on brandname alone. Something which industry anaylysts and Sony themselves are worried about. Why do you think at the last minute Sony decided to include HD on the lower cost version of the PS3?

You get what you pay for and in all honesty, the features the PS3 packs are more than worth it. Blu-ray being the main feature which can make or break the PS3. I will definitely be getting one, it will end up being the main entertainment unit in the house considering it's support for pretty much everything I need.
    HostPing - Shared Hosting/Virtual Servers/Dedicated Servers
    Premium UK Hosting - LiteSpeed/cPanel/CloudLinux/Softaculous/99.9% Uptime
    Interested,
    Email Us Now

Quote Originally Posted by Xcellweb Matt
    But as I have already stated, Nintendo have realised they cannot sell on brand alone, and would you agree or disagree the controller and whole idea of Wii (from pricing to the fact its just a games console and nothering more) to the virtual console is totally unique when compared to the PlayStation 2/3??

And with regards to the Xbox, yes it is basically a PC extension, but the thing with it is, is that it is a PC at the cost of a games console.

The PS3 is way way overpriced and I believe is being sold on brandname alone. Something which industry anaylysts and Sony themselves are worried about. Why do you think at the last minute Sony decided to include HD on the lower cost version of the PS3?

Nintendo sells on brand alone. As well as Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon. Look at Nintendo DS. And look at how much Nintendo are milking their Mario franchises into making mediocre spin-off titles.

Motion-sensing controller? It's been out years ago. And, according to this article on cnet, Sony had hinted way back in 2003 that the PS3 will include some kind of motion-sensor similar in concept to the eyetoy camera.

Sony is planning to enable future versions of its PlayStation gaming console to recognize user gestures and even emotions, according to a company executive. The PlayStation 3 may also incorporate a motion sensor and camera add-on similar to Sony's EyeToy.

http://news.com.com/2100-1043_3-5112295.html
    Virtual Console? The Xbox Live Arcade does this already. Only without nintendo/console games.

I guess you could also say that with the PS2 is unique because of its DVD and that the impact influences Wii to use DVD media too.

Why do you think the 20GB PS3 model now supports HDMI... isn't that because Sony wanted to make 1080p HD as standard on all games on the near-future?

I'm not critizising Wii or anything like that - it's going to be a great console and controller, but I don't agree to the Wii having so many ports from last-gen with no graphical enhancement whatsoever. Some of the games on Wii looks...uglier than Dreamcast.

I'll buy the PS3, no question. I happen to like many of the PS franchises, so I'm sticking with them. Amy enjoys playing too, and as soon as we move into our new house (in less than three weeks!), we're setting up an 85" screen and projector. Nothing like playing a game where the people are almost life sized

I've been an RPG gamer ever since the early 80s. I played Zork. My first graphical RPG was Kings Quest II. I would be shocked if there were more than a half dozen people on WHT who played Eamon, and I would be one of them. I loved the Phantasy Star series (I wish they'd do a decent revival). I'm sticking with PS3 for the sake of the Final Fantasy series, Suikoden series, and maybe we'll see more Legaia and Persona releases.

Not that I ever have time to play. I'm lucky if I get to turn on the PS2 once every couple weeks. But over the course of 5-6 years, $600, while pricey, isn't too much to put out for that much entertainment, so why not!
    Last edited by the_pm; 10-15-2006 at 11:53 AM.
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

The Wii is more for the younger gamers. TBH I wouldn't really call the PS3 just a games console, as it will be much cheaper than buying a blue ray player.

Sony say they are making losses on each of the first machines so obviously thats how low the price can go. I look forward to seeing where this Cell processor takes us though.

I'll definatly buy a PS3. I wouldn't touch an XBox or XBox 360. Not only because of my personal opinions on which is better, but also because I prefer Sony to Microsoft.
    Sean

For those of you saying the PS3 is overpriced, I'll agree but it's really a very inexpensive Blu-Ray player with a lot of extra features and not an expensive console. If you're just going to use it to play games then yes I doubt it will be worth $600 but for a Blu-Ray player that's relatively inexpensive.

Quote Originally Posted by HC-Josh
    For those of you saying the PS3 is overpriced, I'll agree but it's really a very inexpensive Blu-Ray player with a lot of extra features and not an expensive console. If you're just going to use it to play games then yes I doubt it will be worth $600 but for a Blu-Ray player that's relatively inexpensive.
    Well the thing is, this Blu-Ray media is apparently needed to store games at native resolution 1920x1080, not only movie.

PS3 is a full-fledged Blu-Ray player with Cell processor at its heart to process it. So the Blu-Ray player in PS3 is not stand-alone, it needs Cell, RSX, and other components like HDMI port for transmitting uncompressed HD streams.

Since the decision to put back HDMI port on the lower version, it is unnecessary now to call PS3 the $600 console, because you can get the $500 one and still get the full-featured PS3, only without the bell&whistles of the $600 one.

What I would call an `inexpensive` console is Wii, imo. Basically speaking, Wii, at $250, is only a beefed-up Gamecube (its hardware and technology is based on GC), with the controller that makes the console going, and other features such as Wii Channel (including virtual console), and Wii Connect 24. You can see weathers and browse the web on Wii too. Some of Wii`s game as well, imo, is not exactly what you would call a high production value titles, yet still carry the price tag of $50. The Wiimotes also carry a pretty expensive price tag too when Wii is meant `We`.

Well, You get what you pay anyway, the most famous line here in WHT.

Yeah, I think I will probably get the PS3.

But I will wait till the prices go down
    Web Host Magazine & Buyers Guide
    Web Host Magazine & Buyer's Guide
    Fair & Objective Reviews, Ratings & Information
    since 1997

Quote Originally Posted by Shin Asuka
    Well the thing is, this Blu-Ray media is apparently needed to store games at native resolution 1920x1080, not only movie.

PS3 is a full-fledged Blu-Ray player with Cell processor at its heart to process it. So the Blu-Ray player in PS3 is not stand-alone, it needs Cell, RSX, and other components like HDMI port for transmitting uncompressed HD streams.

Since the decision to put back HDMI port on the lower version, it is unnecessary now to call PS3 the $600 console, because you can get the $500 one and still get the full-featured PS3, only without the bell&whistles of the $600 one.

What I would call an `inexpensive` console is Wii, imo. Basically speaking, Wii, at $250, is only a beefed-up Gamecube (its hardware and technology is based on GC), with the controller that makes the console going, and other features such as Wii Channel (including virtual console), and Wii Connect 24. You can see weathers and browse the web on Wii too. Some of Wii`s game as well, imo, is not exactly what you would call a high production value titles, yet still carry the price tag of $50. The Wiimotes also carry a pretty expensive price tag too when Wii is meant `We`.

Well, You get what you pay anyway, the most famous line here in WHT.

I understand what you're saying, but regardless of the console features if someone is just looking for a Blu-Ray player to watch movies on then why not buy a PS3, a regular Blu-Ray player costs around $1,000 these days as far as I know.

Guess you guys havent read that the PS3 may be going up $100-150 more? With that, the delays, and it crashing at these gaming conventions, I will stick with my 360

Quote Originally Posted by adam
    Guess you guys havent read that the PS3 may be going up $100-150 more? With that, the delays, and it crashing at these gaming conventions, I will stick with my 360
    Jeeze... your joking right? $750 for a games console?

That is daylight robbery!

Too expensive... plus I had a bad experience with PS2. So no consoles for me.

Quote Originally Posted by joshcrick
    Too expensive... plus I had a bad experience with PS2. So no consoles for me.
    The Wii will be affordable though.

Quote Originally Posted by adam
    It's so much more powerful though, I'm not a fan of the 360. Yes it's expensive but when you take into account all of it's features it's not really overpriced, you just have to stop looking at it as solely a gaming machine.

Id be as much worried about it crashing as the price though...

My 12yr old son is keen on video games (like Father like son ) so we're getting a PS3 and hooking it up to the home cinema screen (a 4m wide screen). Should be pretty awesome.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

Sounds it, I hope it's as good as I'm expecting so I can justify getting one.

Actually the price went down in japan already before launch. Which means it will be going down eventually here in US and Euro, not UP in price. (link, http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/samiljan/25 )

And as for 360, we have one here are going through our 3rd one now, we are part of that 1mil + people who get the red light box that never seems to work more then 10 hours of playtime.

I love xbox, but i think this ps3 will be something the whole family can get something out of since its not just a game machine. which is more bang for the buck for me, heck taking the kids out to a movie is $100 night.

This thing will be the movie machine and game machine, and email machine, and websurfing machine for everyone to stay out of my office

Quote Originally Posted by Xrazor
    I love xbox, but i think this ps3 will be something the whole family can get something out of since its not just a game machine. which is more bang for the buck for me, heck taking the kids out to a movie is $100 night.
    I take it you missed out on VCR's and DVD players then...

I'm sure down the road i'll end up buying one. I'll probably get a 360 or a wii just for some small entertainment now and then, but it really makes little sense in my opinion seeing as I already have built a pretty decent gaming rig.
    Nationhosts, LLC
    http://www.nationhosts.com
    "Nationwide hosting solutions"

I take it you missed out on VCR's and DVD players then...

hehe no i did not miss out on those days, but I take it you havnt seen bluray or hddvd quality yet . I actually said the same thing you just did till someone showed me.

I have a 1080p hd tv and had a friend bring over his bluray player and its a very noticiable difference in quality of the picture.

I also have seen the quality of the HD-DVD and its the same, very much worth watching a hi def movie at home as opossed to going to the movies if you have a decent setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Xrazor
    hehe no i did not miss out on those days, but I take it you havnt seen bluray or hddvd quality yet . I actually said the same thing you just did till someone showed me.

I have a 1080p hd tv and had a friend bring over his bluray player and its a very noticiable difference in quality of the picture.

I also have seen the quality of the HD-DVD and its the same, very much worth watching a hi def movie at home as opossed to going to the movies if you have a decent setup.
    My Grandma recently learned about VCR's.
    Nationhosts, LLC
    http://www.nationhosts.com
    "Nationwide hosting solutions"

Hate to say it but ive become one of those people who used to be on top of tech stuff all the time, yet now.....

Recently i bought a new cell phone and couldnt figure out how to switch to the call waiting till a little 12 year old next to me grabbed it and said "its this button uncle ***"

Reminded me of when i was a kid helping out that "old" guy

Quote Originally Posted by NationHosts
    My Grandma recently learned about VCR's.
    Awww bless hehe!

Originally, I had signed up locally to grab one on release date. With the changes in shipping and the store not knowing HOW many they're going to get (still), I decided that could wait a bit .

Will I pick one up? Within the next year, most likely I will have one.

Why the price? Well, that one is actually rather simple. If you compare the features of the PS3 with the features of the 360, PS3 is going to win hands down. Hardware? Again, PS3 has this one.

Are they selling this on a "name only" basis? I doubt it.
    Typically, consoles LOSE money for the first few years. The designers make this money back with games, but the consoles themselves are priced to LOSE money. Why? Because if they charged US what they had to pay for the hardware, good god, nobody'd buy 'em.

Id be as much worried about it crashing as the price though...
    Sony is actually rather decent about this not happening , or doing the refund thing if they do. Microsoft, on the other hand, egads, the Xbox and (presumably) 360 required you to ship them back to MS for support, or refund, NOT take them into the store you purchased them.

Guess you guys havent read that the PS3 may be going up $100-150 more?
    Sure, I've also read that tlhe sky is purple, Elvis is still alive, Hoffa is somewhere in New York (walking, not floating), etc.... With stuff like this, you'll hear rumours. Until they're verified , that's all they are.

I think Sony knows full well that raising the price on this even more would kill them literally.

The PlayStation 3 may also incorporate a motion sensor
    Already done, in the controller. It's not as complicated as the Wii controller, but it's not bad. Beats anything the 360's got so far.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

http://dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4621

One more reason to buy a PS3

Its not going to replace the average users home PC though... Linux will never have the ease of use of Windows and will always be something that only appeals to the more advanced users of pc's etc (before you argue, think about Linspire/Lindows attempt to make Linux "home usable"), when it comes to the average user, Windows is all they will want, as it is both simple (no stupid command lines which homeusers will NOT like) and it what they know (Microsoft putting a Windows PC in every school for free has paid off).

So Sony's claim "it will replace the home pc" is totally stupid and they need to rethink their marketing strategy as it sounds like its just going to turn into a glorified PC rather then a games console. And it will be second rate as it will not have support for the OS that the world uses...

Again, something on the PS3 that is aimed towards a hardcore user.... I think Sony are gradually killing off the PS3's appeal to the non-hardcore gaming community with each announcement they make.

Quote Originally Posted by HC-Josh
    http://dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4621

One more reason to buy a PS3
    I think either people dont care, or just dont want to get into the debate about the subject. I posted the yellodog link before and thout it would start an interesting debate going, but it didnt.

In my opinion, it just opened a whole new world for what a media center should be sitting next to the Tv.

Really gives more bang for the buck for the kids to explain to the parents.

But i do think that now with the PSP being able to stream movies and pictures anywhere off the PS3 at home, that parents are going to find themselves in a whole new headache if you can think of what can be done now

Either way, it gives more then just the kids something to play with.

Its not going to replace the average users home PC though... Linux will never have the ease of use of Windows and will always be something that only appeals to the more advanced users of pc's etc (before you argue, think about Linspire/Lindows attempt to make Linux "home usable"), when it comes to the average user, Windows is all they will want, as it is both simple (no stupid command lines which homeusers will NOT like) and it what they know (Microsoft putting a Windows PC in every school for free has paid off).

So Sony's claim "it will replace the home pc" is totally stupid and they need to rethink their marketing strategy as it sounds like its just going to turn into a glorified PC rather then a games console. And it will be second rate as it will not have support for the OS that the world uses...

Again, something on the PS3 that is aimed towards a hardcore user.... I think Sony are gradually killing off the PS3's appeal to the non-hardcore gaming community with each announcement they make.

There was a little news last year that the PS3 can run Linux, Mac OS X, and even Windows. Looks like the Linux part is true...

What I think is that it might be the otherwise of what you think; it might even attract casuals/mainstreams even more. Why?

Casuals/non-hardcores (mainstream) use their PCs for basic home computing everyday, and wouldn't it be more convenience to do it on your home theater setup:

Big Screen TV + Sofa + other home theater setup + Home computing = Insert what you would call an uber convenience or whatever here

The YDL for PS3 got an advanced E17 UI, and people aren't stupid enough to not being able to use such a graphical heavy interface similar in a way to Windows. (E17 resembles Mac OS X Tiger much, so it should be )
    Besides this TerraSoft's Linux for PS3 will most likely be only for home computing like mentioned previously and playing around - both for casual and hardcore alike. It can also open up to a huge homebrew scene for hardcore user (PSP can run Windows 95!). Since you got this uber hardware capable for gaming, bluraying, and etc, why not for some home computing too - it's just an add-on to a gaming machine, it won't replace Windows PCs

|ーWe are all born to this world To meet a certain person; it must be soー|

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast