Thread: A strange idea?

Lightbulb A strange idea?

Hello everyone,
    I am hosting my site at hostgator.com . I am really happy with them but my site eat up a lot of bandwidth. I wanted to upgrade to a better plan but have another though in mind.

I want to move bandwidth hooking data to a new hosting plan then use those data for my current site. (I know I have to have another domain name as well).

what do you think? If you think above idea is good then what webhosting is your recommendation?

budget: 5$/month
    space: 1gb - 2gb
    bandwidth: 100gb

as said above I just need this to store my data so no need for script or database.
    Speed and uptime is required.

but then if one of the servers is down, you are down. you will be dependant up on two providers
    GS RichCopy 360 Enterprise - Voted #1 for data migration and replication in terms of performance and features. Replicate data across between servers in the same network, WAN, or even across the internet - Many customer call it RSync for Windows

You want a 100 gigs of bandwidth and good speed and uptime for $5? Good luck.

Sounds a bit strange to me, you might as well get all the stuff you need in one plan. You might want to increase your budget as well, you won't get good quality for only $5/month

what do you think?
    Your idea isn't that strange. There are people doing that, taking advantage of the huge overselling trend in the industry. My recommendation to you is to read the TOS carefully. My hunch is that more and more hosting companies will add odd disk usage policies, preventing customers from using the accounts for file hosting/distribution, backups etc. Today's TOS might not be tomorrow's TOS. Buyer beware!

You should contact your provider and see what they can do for you. A lot of providers sometimes can maybe give you a custom plan to your needs.

Smile

>>ITAhmed: yes! I almost forget that I have to depend on two providers.

>>Chris_M and markjut: thanks for your reply. I know that it is impossible to get 100gb bandwidth for 5$. Just hope I wish ...

>>ldcdc: thanks you for warning. I feel uneasy when talking about TOS.

>>marisc: thank you. I will email my provider and wish I can have a custom plan !

finally thank you guys for take your time in replying. I think I will stick to my current host because I am really happy with them.

hey man i dont think you will be abe to find a plan like that!

asmallorange have similar idea , check them out.. but seems expensive..

Uptime, 100GB BW, $5?
    Those 3 can't be in the same sentence together
    Caro.Net: Support is everything
    Offering High Quality Dedicated Servers.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc
    Your idea isn't that strange. There are people doing that, taking advantage of the huge overselling trend in the industry. My recommendation to you is to read the TOS carefully. My hunch is that more and more hosting companies will add odd disk usage policies, preventing customers from using the accounts for file hosting/distribution, backups etc. Today's TOS might not be tomorrow's TOS. Buyer beware!
    Hit it right on the head. With the overselling of today's web hosting providers, you can bet your bottom dollar, there are folks out there doing this sort of thing already. I suggest upgrading to a bigger plan, and as mentioned before you will only then rely on ONE provider to be up. Yes you "could" possibly switch your plan, then gain the headache of worrying yourself about uptime between two servers. I suggest pay the extra to have ease of mind.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>