Speeds from Europe to USA

Are they supposed to be this poor? I did some speed tests from my box at Leaseweb to a LT box, and I can only upload via FTP at about 50KB and download from the LT box at 250-300KB.

I can understand speeds of 300KB, but 50KB?! Why would it be so low to upload? Since I am about 105ms away and can pull down 600KB/s and the LT box is 125ms away, I don't see how latency could account for such a big difference.

When high latency is in play, packet loss can be devastating. It's apparent that packet loss is occurring somewhere along the path. Try increasing your TCP window size; that's about the only thing you have control over from your end.

For reference, most of my transfers between the US and Europe are in the 600KB to 1300KB/sec range; the highest I've ever observed, including TCP tweaks, was 2200KB/sec.

Now selling BigVPS's!
    Jacksonville Colocation and dedicated servers by colo4jax
    We are *not* a reseller. We own our servers, switches, routers and racks.

Increasing TCP window size will only serve to increase the problems of packet loss AFAIK. Off the top of my head, each 1% of packet loss roughly halves your transfer speed.
    Karl Austin :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    UK Business Hosting and Managed Servers - Hosting for Business Users :: 0800 5429 764
    Call us today and ask about our hosting solutions.

Could i do some investigating using traceroute? Anything specific to look for?

EDIT: Ran a traceroute from my server. Goes quite well and quickly, but it paused for a few seconds on this hop. Maybe that's the problem?

13 bhr1-pos-12-0.fortworthda1.savvis.net (208.172.131.82) 124.394 ms 124.439 ms *
    14 csr2-ve242.fortworthda1.savvis.net (216.39.64.59) 121.058 ms

Hmm, Tracerouth won't be good , to EU to US. or the other way aroud.

tical, can you post from which providers you got the higher end speeds from eu -> us and visa versa?

I would say

Leaseweb > Softlayer.

or if lot's of peaple connected to it at the same time etc..