Talking Book about Starting a Web Hosting Company!

I just thought I might let everyone know that I just got back from Books-A-Million and I found a book called, " Web Hosting: A complete Strategy for delivering high-quality web hosting services". I looked over this book and read a few paragraphs and this book has everything! I mean everything from starting up, what to use, how to use it, ideas, suggestions, etc. I mean I totally like this book.

It was $39.99. But it was well worth it.

It's by Carl Burnham. ISBN# 0-07-213279-5

I would suggest, if you wanna start a web hosting company, go out and buy it!

Thanks,
    BMedia

Do you have a link for it?

Wink Here's a Link...

Question *sniff* *sniff*

Something doesn't seem quite right to me...

If this guy actually knows that much about hosting, it would seem to me he'd be making more money by selling hosting himself and getting the recurring monthly/yearly revenue from what would be a much larger marketplace than he would by writing a book, telling his so-called trade secrets and selling it for a one-time revenue gain from a smaller audience.
    Is Canada the best? Noo Doot Aboot It!
    "And on the eighth...day...God...created...Mankind. WHY WAS HE HAVING SUCH A BAD DAY?" -- Mick Foley

Just read this thread and decided to see what a few seconds of searching on google would turn up. Here is a little more info about this book and the author if anyone wants to know more. I'm in a helpful mood and figured it would interest some.

Here is a review of the book from Thewhir.com:

http://thewhir.com/features/burnham-review.cfm

Also, here is a bio of the author:

http://www.olemiss.edu/mwp/dir/burnham_carl/

And this is supposedly the Authors Company:

http://www.hostingresolve.com/

I am just trying to decide if I want to spend more than $20 to buy this book from Amazon. On one hand, I have a funny suspicion that I have already learned the hosting business and on the other it might be entertaining to see how the book is put together.

Or maybe I will just see if a local Barnes and Nobel has the book and flip through it in the store :-)

Very, very, interesting. I always like to learn new things!

Best regards,
    Frank Rietta
    AtlantaWebHost.com, a service of Rietta Solutions
    Web Site & Development Hosting, Dedicated, Colocation, DNS, Atlanta-area T1 for Voice & Data

It's good....

I personally have been using Linux and running a web server for 6 months now. And, I learned some things I didn't know...lol..

This book is extremley interesting. I promise you would make a good investment to buy it.

Thanks,
    BMedia

Used, like new at Amazon for 17.99

Do they have a book on tape/cd version?

Zach

Or maybe I will just see if a local Barnes and Nobel has the book and flip through it in the store :-)

I heard about this strange book place called a li-berry that has books you can steal for three weeks and return for free! Maybe I'll try that route...if at all.
    "And on the eighth...day...God...created...Mankind. WHY WAS HE HAVING SUCH A BAD DAY?" -- Mick Foley

I have had a quick read through this book.....It is ok, but realistically, you will learn almost everything you need to know right here, with just a little research.....

Although, I guess the book is good for those just starting out, as it can save you time and point you in some of the right directions.....
    --

Originally posted by 21inchguns
    I have had a quick read through this book.....It is ok, but realistically, you will learn almost everything you need to know right here, with just a little research.....

Although, I guess the book is good for those just starting out, as it can save you time and point you in some of the right directions.....
    I agree. This book has been out for a while and I have looked through it probably a half-dozen times. It is geared primarily to those who are not aquainted with the business. Mostly it gives an overview of the industry and spends time on advertising and customer relations.

-Lamar
    Going out of business in our 10th year.

It proberbly says that unlim band is good all over it

Quote:

Here is a quote from the first part of the book: "It is misleading for you to list your data tranafer as unlimited, when in actuality there are limits that your systems physically allow!"

So, I think they are down to earth.

Thanks,
    BMedia

Re: *sniff* *sniff*

Originally posted by TheGAME1264
    Something doesn't seem quite right to me...

If this guy actually knows that much about hosting, it would seem to me he'd be making more money by selling hosting himself and getting the recurring monthly/yearly revenue from what would be a much larger marketplace than he would by writing a book, telling his so-called trade secrets and selling it for a one-time revenue gain from a smaller audience.
    1) Being the author of an 'expert' book on the industry you work in can be very helpful for the business that author owns/works for

2) If a need exists and you can try and fill it with something you'll be compensated for, shouldn't you? That's just good business sense.
    http://forums.webhostdir.com/
    All your hosts are belong to us

I do agree that being the author of an 'expert' book on the industry can be helpful for the business, but the author in this case is helping the competition more than himself; at least it would appear this way on the surface. That's why it seems odd and somewhat suspicious to me that he would write such a book and assist his competition in what is already an extremely competitive and borderline saturated industry.

From looking at the reviews, contents, and background, with statements of where theauthor attained his knowledge.....think it is all for basically making a buck than gaining interest for any supposed hosting business or doing it for the love of all others.

A book that i have read online is at books24x7.com which covers this area and basically the same sort of content, and is called
    "Strategies for Web Hosting and Managed Services" and a summary of the book can be found at
    http://www.books24x7.com/book/id_316...er&bookid=3169

Different author but essentially is a broad outline as well.

Originally posted by TheGAME1264
    I do agree that being the author of an 'expert' book on the industry can be helpful for the business, but the author in this case is helping the competition more than himself; at least it would appear this way on the surface. That's why it seems odd and somewhat suspicious to me that he would write such a book and assist his competition in what is already an extremely competitive and borderline saturated industry.
    From his bio, it sounds as if web hosting is probably not the most important aspect of his career. Most likely, he's not terribly concerned about the competition. When you look at his hosting company website, it's mostly an ad for his book. He probably figures that anyone who looks at the site of a hosting company who 'wrote the book on web hosting' is not going to go elsewhere.
    http://forums.webhostdir.com/
    All your hosts are belong to us

Hi. I'm Doug Kaye, author of Strategies for Web Hosting and Managed Services. (See www.rds.com.) Glad to answer any questions you may have about the book, its contents, why I wrote it, etc.

Folks - do the math!!!! Magaznes cane barely publish in time to keep up with an industry such as ours. A book takes much much longer to hit the shelves -

I am no doubting this book offers some good fundamental ideas, but you are reading year old ideas! In web hosting that's a long time!

I agree, lpguitars, that there are many fundamental differences between the timing of various media. I publish a weblog on web-hosting strategies that I sometimes update many times a day. I also write columns and editorials for Internet World and The Web Host Industry Review. Obviously, given the lead times on ezines and hard-copy journals, one addresses different topics or at least different less time-sensitive issues.

When I wrote my book, I put a great deal of thought into selecting issues that were not at all time sensitive. There's no news in the book. It's virtually all strategic or technical information that doesn't change over time. The same is true for Carl Burnham's book.

Furthermore, given the necessarily short format for periodicals (700-3,000 words), they don't allow an author to cover a topic in much depth. BTW, I built one of the very first web-hosting services in 1995, and I'm now a consultant to a number of large ones. Trust me: Things haven't changed all that much in seven years.

Doug, since you're in this thread I'd like to say that I liked your book. It was very informative and well written...
    spam --> /dev/null

Please don't take my comments as disrespect dkaye, as I truly mean none. In fact quite the contrare for you initiative alone.

I'm jut saying the whole publishing process takes so darn long and our industry changes so darn fast.

I actually started hosting in 95 as well, and you are right, conceptually much has stayed the same (especially compared to our counterpart - the ISP biz) - but the "who's-who" and "what's-what" has changed considerably.

Oh the days of hway eh?

I have just bought both books through Amazon - I guess they will provide interesting reading.

Can I get it autographed Doug

For someone who seems to know a lot about hosting, design, etc.

Well it is wierd that he would use a free template (removed copyright)..

Anyone?

What you refering to? Who's using a free template?

dkaye is using Movable Type for his weblog, but that name "Powered by Movable Type v2.1" (or similar) is not anywhere on the page .. .
    Alexander

Originally posted by Alex[nl]
    dkaye is using Movable Type for his weblog, but that name "Powered by Movable Type v2.1" (or similar) is not anywhere on the page .. .
    You sure he is not using Radio UserLand? There is a link for it.

Edit: "I write and maintain my weblogs using Radio and Manila from Userland. The design of this site is based on Hazard Area 1.5 by Bryan Bell, which was, in turn, based on the design of FragDifferent. "
    Last edited by MBC; 09-09-2002 at 10:02 PM.

Maybe he has a paid for license or upgrade or something?

-WC-

Yup. It's true. I use Radio UserLand, and I've got explicit permission from Bryan Bell, the designer to use his design on the rest of my web site.

But as to the comment "someone who seems to know a lot about hosting, design, etc.," I do know a lot about hosting, but I may qualify as the world's worst designer. More than once, people who have worked with me have referred to me as being "visually challenged." Hence my decision to use a template, and to ask permission to do so. I'm not embarassed that I use a template, but I would be if I didn't.