Questions - Migrating from VPS to Dedicated

I have a number of web sites with different URLs that I host on a VPS. I have name servers like ns1.myhost.com and ns2.myhost.com and all of my URLs use those name servers (the "myhost.com" is the name of my primary web site).

Now I have a dedicated server and have set it up with a host name of host.myhost.com. I want to evnetually migrat all of them over to the new server, but want to start with just one of the URLs that I care least about as a test. So, my questions relate to how best to go about the migration. I think I want to leave the current namesevers on the VPS and set up new name servers on the dedicated box, then associate the test URL with the new name servers. So, would using name servers such as ns3.myhost.com and ns4.myhost.com be th elogical way to go? Would like to hear from anyone who has done. Thanks,
    WT

Did you have any control panel on the VPS? Do you have any control panel on the Dedicated Server? This may help if they are both the same control panel.

If you want to do as moving sites 1 by 1, you may set your additional nameservers on to dedicated and main nameservers may still run @ your VPS account. But by this way, you should have access to all hosted domains' control panel to re-assign new nameservers or you may ask your customers to do it. (This will make a big downtime I am sure.)

This will prevent data-loss and is named as likely "no downtime moving" by people who do this job

If this is a test go on like this but if this is a real moving story, you should move your primary nameservers to dedicated.. This is my opinion you may choose whichever you want

Quote Originally Posted by wingtip
    I have a number of web sites with different URLs that I host on a VPS. I have name servers like ns1.myhost.com and ns2.myhost.com and all of my URLs use those name servers (the "myhost.com" is the name of my primary web site).

Now I have a dedicated server and have set it up with a host name of host.myhost.com. I want to evnetually migrat all of them over to the new server, but want to start with just one of the URLs that I care least about as a test. So, my questions relate to how best to go about the migration. I think I want to leave the current namesevers on the VPS and set up new name servers on the dedicated box, then associate the test URL with the new name servers. So, would using name servers such as ns3.myhost.com and ns4.myhost.com be th elogical way to go? Would like to hear from anyone who has done. Thanks,
    WT
    Last edited by QuietNightKing; 10-14-2006 at 10:32 AM.

1) setup the site on your new dedicated server
    2) create "host records" or "glue records" for ns3 and ns4 at your registrar
    3) in the VPS, point forward DNS for www.domain-you-are-moving.com to the IP of the dedicated server
    4) change the NS records at the registrar for domain-you-are-moving.com to ns3 and ns4

This way you'll have continuous coverage on your DNS during the 24-48 hours that it takes to change nameservers in the global DNS system, regardless of whether the global Internet thinks it looks to ns1/ns2 or ns3/ns4. After about 72 hours or so after step 4, you should be able to delete DNS records in your VPS, as the DNS will have already been moved to ns3/ns4.

Now selling BigVPS's!
    Jacksonville Colocation and dedicated servers by colo4jax
    We are *not* a reseller. We own our servers, switches, routers and racks.