Looking a very fast connection speed from a hosting company

Hello I am looking for a very fast or one of the fastest connection speed from a hosting company. I found one that run a OC 192 but not sure if that is very fast or not for what I need to do. I create a website that will hosting videos that are around 150mb throught 250mb. The people who would be downloading these are people on dsl, cable, t1, t3 and higher as dialup would take forever. I assume there will be around 100 people at a time downloading and I want all of them to good as fast as their connection can take.

I was looking into godaddy and 1and1 but I am not such how fast their connection speed is. So wanted to know if there is a ranking of who are the fastest hosting company out their.

There is no such thing as 'whos the fastest hosting company out there'.
    150MB videos are rather large. I'd be more concerned with the amount of bandwidth consumed.
    Dan Bulmer
    CRUSE Hosting Services
    http://www.crusehosting.com
    Full H-SPhere Clustered Servers

many hosting company gives alot of bandwidth around 1500 gb a month. That would be enough for what I need I think. Still will like to know which company runs faster then a 100mbps or a 0c 192.

Quote Originally Posted by pocde
    many hosting company gives alot of bandwidth around 1500 gb a month. That would be enough for what I need I think. Still will like to know which company runs faster then a 100mbps or a 0c 192.
    Unless your website uses more than 100Mbps, then it doesn't really matter whether the hosting company has 100Mbps or a OC192, since you won't notice any difference in speed. Also, if you do need 100Mbps just for your website, count on paying at least $1000/month for it, up to about $4000/month, depending on the quality of bandwidth. A lot of people overestimate the amount of bandwidth they need, and underestimate the cost of actually using that amount.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

It's quite funny seeing the "OC-192" and "I was looking into godaddy and 1and1" comments in the same post...

I loled.

Still will like to know which company runs faster then a 100mbps or a 0c 192.
    The company might have OC 192, but the individual servers won't be connected at that particular speed. bqinternet gave you a very accurate window into the reality of things BTW. Do not be mislead by the apparent cheapness of data transfer in shared hosting packages.

100 users at the same time with fast connection downloading ~200MB files would rule out any of the TB-class, low cost hosting companies since most of their ToS would give them the right to disconnect you.
    -Mr Bister

What you need to work out, is how many downloads you expect in a given period, and how long at most you want them to take, then you can make a calculation on what sort of connection speed you'll need. What out for false claims,all this talk of OC192 is usually rubbish, what they usually mean is that the fiber is capable of that, doesn't mean the wavelengths they have lit over the fiber are at that speed.
    Karl Austin :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    UK Business Hosting and Managed Servers - Hosting for Business Users :: 0800 5429 764
    Call us today and ask about our hosting solutions.

I have tried ipowerweb hosting and uploaded a file that is 212mb for testing. I was not to happy with the download speed. I only got 350 kb - 400 kb. When I could go faster then this. I was hoping to go atleast 700 - 900 kb. I have not tested with other hosting companies that I have like godaddy and 1and1 yet, but anybody knows if the speed is fast.

I am still looking for a hosting company that can run really fast if 100 people download at a time. I am also looking into dedicated server and managed server. If I go with a dedicated or managed server would I get better speed and claimed OC 48 or even OC 192 with out it being shared.

Pocde please keep in mind. you are looking for a shared host, unless you are buying a dedicated server and a dedicated line do not expect too much, Im going to be direct because this is very important to be understood. Each host because they have more than 1 client will either 1) cluster their bandwith used and split it evenly with the many users in that server or 2) share a certain ammount of bandwith set into the server with xx set ammount of people. Unless you pay for your own OC48 line and your own Server and a location to host it at do not expect to pay 50$ a month for speeds at up to 800+kbps it is impossible. There is a limit to everything. Paying 300$ a month might not get you what you want.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news
    Vincent W. - Brooklyn, NY
    http://www.Nusitu.com - New York Based Shared / Reseller Webhosting Services
    99% Uptime Guaranteed - 30day Money Back Guarantee - Instant Setup

Download speed will depend on user location, routes and line quality to the server. Even if you can download at 900kbps does not mean that someone on the other side of the world will be able to do the same. If you all you depend on is the download speed to your own computer, then look for a hosting company which locates their servers in your city or close by. They are more likely to give you the speeds you want.

Maximum speed is dependant upon the TCP window size and the RTT (Round trip time) of the connection between the user and the server. As Others have said, just because it's fast/slow for you, doesn't mean it will be for other users.
    Karl Austin :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    UK Business Hosting and Managed Servers - Hosting for Business Users :: 0800 5429 764
    Call us today and ask about our hosting solutions.

What is your budget for this?

Quote Originally Posted by pocde
    IIRC, there's only 2 nationwide OC-192 level networks (and one of them is still in testing). The other is owned by MCI/Verizon Business.
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!