VPS, how difficult can it be ?

Hi, im looking to migrate from my current shared host to a VPS. I have a budget of 50 ~ 60 USD per month and looking for one which can offer me at least 750GB per month.

Question is, how difficult is it for one with no experience to handle a vps server ? I just wan a place to host my script (zozee[dot]com). Is it as simple as upload my files via FTP and i will see my site next ? Or i have to go tru tonnes of command line to get things work ?

Oh, one more thing, Can anyone recommend a VPS or Dedicate which can offer 750GB per month for 50 ~ 60USD ?

750GB of bandwidth a month? You will definitely want to raise your budget on that. Or you might want to look at a dedicated. Either way, you should raise your budget a little bit. Might want to raise it to around $120 or so. Just my suggestion.
    Nick Devito
    Atarack Communications, Inc - Xen-based VPS Services

Im not sure, i susgest that BW are pretty cheap nowadays.. correct me if im wrong. I am seeing some host like EV1, iPower and veryserv provide 1000GB under 100USD per month.

Will they be very difficult to setup ?

You might need to do a little bit of setup, such as setting up a httpd, ftpd, and securing everything down. If you feel you can't do that on your own, there are quite a few places that can do it for a small fee.
    Nick Devito
    Atarack Communications, Inc - Xen-based VPS Services

Thanks nick123, time for me to go library

Setup is pretty simple... You just have to know your bash shell, and the software you want to run... Either that or get a panel, which costs more...

me too looking for similar...

I am in the same situation as er1cw.

How difficult is it to setup my databases with VPS?

Thanks

It really depends. If you already know how to create a database using the command line, then any VPS account should do. If you're not used to typing SQL commands then you'll want to look for a setup that offers a graphical interface. That means you want an account that has a control panel. A number of the control panels either have a graphical database interface, or simplify installing one. MyPhpAdmin or something of that sort should help in setting up and administering a database.
    Andrew
    Spry VPS Hosting cPanel VPS, Plesk VPS, Webmin VPS, Shared, Domain Registration, Dedicated and Colo
    VPSLink Cheap VPS accounts CentOS, Fedora 4/5/6, RHEL, Gentoo, Debian, Ubuntu -- Dapper/Edgy, Slackware, OpenSUSE, LAMP + Ruby pre-installed available

Thanks for the reply.

Can you suggest any relaible company who provides such GUI service.

Just now I was going thru PowerVPS site and they have something called 'EasyStart'. Looks like this one is provided with similar service.
    Any other suggestions?

One more question. What important things do I loose if I go for a graphical interface?

Thank you once again.

A control panel like cPanel or DirectAdmin would be extremely beneficial to people who aren't comfortable with the CLI (command line interface). However, a control panel often uses lots of the server's resources.

i just got my 1st dedicated few days ago, it comes in minimum installation ( centos, tat's all ) I did some research, and i see my website in 24hours.

Like what Orien Wu said. If it is not a mission critical project, it is a pretty good learning process

At the moment, Im now trying to setup a ftp server. The resources in this area are pretty scattered and sometimes glibberish to a newbie like me. I guess i will compile a step by step noob's guide of what i've done. I hope they will benefits others

Quote Originally Posted by er1cw
    how difficult is it for one with no experience to handle a vps server ? I just wan a place to host my script (zozee[dot]com). Is it as simple as upload my files via FTP and i will see my site next ? Or i have to go tru tonnes of command line to get things work ?
    Well, you'll at least need to set up an account for use with FTP (proftpd, etc). It's not hard, and the tutorials are everywhere on the Internet.

The more difficult part is how to secure your VPS. ;-)
    DevOps!