fight back! yesssssssss!

if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

It seems you could save alot of effort by just including a link to msnbc in your sig file. It sure would save you a bunch of posts.
    Technical Advisor for new A&E Series The Killing Season
    There are no random acts of violence
    Starts November 5th!

And next??

Firearm training for teachers and gun in every classroom?

I agree with it for the most part with what they are doing, I just think it sad our world has come to this.

lol, sorry... i guess it is obvious what my home page is...

at least they arent those lame youtube links! thats all i see here anymore!

ps from what i gatehr, these are high school students. not real little kids.

In theory, this is a good idea. It's long been known that if you run, scream, make as much noise as possible and show aggression towards your enemy, you'll come out on top almost every time. That's the exact fact that the British SAS rely on, and a lot of other tactical teams across the globe. When they enter a room, for all they know a gunman could be stood on the other side pointing a gun at the door, but the fact that they are able to aggressively attack and shock the enemy is a key factor to a successful outcome. 90% of the fight is in the mind.

It is also a well known fact that if you are going to attack the attacker, the best time to do it is within the first few seconds of the attacker appearing. There is no better time to catch them off guard.

Personally, I've always said should I come face to face with a knife on a plane, I would be the first to react and take the person down and stick the knife up his *** for pleasure, but in reality, whether I could mentally do that when I see a knife in my face, I'm not sure. As for a gun, I'm not sure what I would do. That all depends on the circumstances and who was on the plane with me. I would be much more willing to challenge a gunman if I knew there were ten college rugby players sat behind me. Again, whether I would have the balls to challenge is a question I never want to find out. If I did have the balls, could I make the decision to attack or stay quiet in those crucial first seconds? Again, I never wish I find out.

Whether this kind of training is suitable for teenagers in a school environment, I'm not sure. I'm more concerned that we have come to a point where people feel the need to do this.
    Last edited by Jamie Harrop; 10-13-2006 at 08:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Techark
    And next??

Firearm training for teachers and gun in every classroom?

I agree with it for the most part with what they are doing, I just think it sad our world has come to this.
    Its not really the world, its the US, were guns being legal does not incite or enable people to carry out gun crimes .... apparently.

Very sad the situation now.

Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    AgilityHosting.net - UK & European cPanel Web Hosting

Lets not get in to the "US Gun Culture" debate again Matt. It's becoming a very boring topic here at WHT.

true, when you outlaw guns only outlaws will have guns!

(i heard that back in the 70s!)

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Stephens
    lol, sorry... i guess it is obvious what my home page is...

at least they arent those lame youtube links! thats all i see here anymore!
    YouTube, the same thing as Google Video..which you posted earlier and have before...

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=554681

[QUOTE=adam]YouTube, the same thing as Google Video..which you posted earlier and have before...

google video is not quite youtube

also, you arent allowed to link to other threads, youll get points for that

[QUOTE=Lauren Stephens]
    Quote Originally Posted by adam
    YouTube, the same thing as Google Video..which you posted earlier and have before...

google video is not quite youtube

also, you arent allowed to link to other threads, youll get points for that
    Actually your wrong, read up on the rules, that is for Signatures. Here is the other one:

Cross-Posting is not allowed here. Cross-posting refers to posting new duplicate threads or posts, or the linking to threads or posts already started by the poster with the intention of gaining exposure.

This thread or the other were not started by me to gain exposure for myself, thread, etc

Try again..

can you believe it is psp friendy.

anyways i wouldn't fight back a gunmen unless i knew they were going to kill me.

Why don't people explain what the video is when they post it? I don't bother watching them because it might be something that has no interest to me. And the same time I may miss something that I was interested in.

adam was babbling on about nothing. there is no video. he is talking about something completely off topic.

//ignore list is getting longer and longer//

I like this idea... I think every school should have it's own Nuclear Missile too.... maybe a few actually... throw in a few tanks, that'd be great. Maybe even a chopper.

Quote Originally Posted by anon-e-mouse
    Why don't people explain what the video is when they post it? I don't bother watching them because it might be something that has no interest to me. And the same time I may miss something that I was interested in.

You are assuming that the motive for posting was to show a video or share a bit of info.
    Technical Advisor for new A&E Series The Killing Season
    There are no random acts of violence
    Starts November 5th!

Or "look at my sig"? Or look at me?

The occasional video is fine, but when the same member (not singling you out Lauren, there are actually more ) mainly posts videos, you have to wonder what they do in their spare time

Quote Originally Posted by Equentity - Jamie
    Lets not get in to the "US Gun Culture" debate again Matt.
    Why not? Do "root causes" not matter any more? Or shall we simply see our kids involved in the escalating "arms race" happening even in our cities and what ought to be places of safety?

The pro-gun lobby will hail such talk and call it appropriate. They don't want any examination of root causes, just the status quo.

Mark my words, it will only be a matter of time before an armed teacher causes a slaughter, where the teacher flips out, triggered by some ordinary event of insubordination.

There are plenty of teachers I don't trust behind the wheel of a car. Why would I trust them with a gun?

What's the percentage of gun attacks on school property in your native U.K.? In the U.S.A.?

Societies that won't look at root causes are doomed to keep having the same problems.
    Last edited by mwatkins; 10-14-2006 at 10:38 AM.
    “Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under
    considerable economic stress at this period in history.”

Quote Originally Posted by mwatkins
    Why not?
    Didn't I already answer that?

Quote Originally Posted by Equentity - Jamie
    It's becoming a very boring topic here at WHT.
    The topic has been discussed, argued and abused plenty here at WHT. Why bother bringing it up again?

Quote Originally Posted by anon-e-mouse
    Or "look at my sig"? Or look at me?

The occasional video is fine, but when the same member (not singling you out Lauren, there are actually more ) mainly posts videos, you have to wonder what they do in their spare time
    Exactly what I think.

Quote Originally Posted by mwatkins
    Why not?
    To be fair he has a point. All the threads that discuss the issue end up in an argument, with 99% of Americans defending their "right and freedom to own guns" and that guns being legal has no impact or connection to the amount of gun crimes currently taking place in the country. Oh and how to killings of kids in school becoming more common is acceptable just so they can continue to own guns.

It seems most other western countries were guns are, for the most part, illegal for anyone to own, suffer from relatively low levels of gun crime compared to the US, but our decisions to make guns illegal is the wrong one and making them legal leads to lower crime.

So there is no point in debating it with the Americans as many wont accept it and it turns into the same old argument every time.

Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    AgilityHosting.net - UK & European cPanel Web Hosting

It was mostly a rhetorical "why not". Its amusing that the pro-gun folks are so keen... actually, the right way to put it is so desperate to grasp on to anything which might help their sorry case, that they'd leap on to "fight back" training and "arming teachers" as being excellent solutions to gun killings in school.

Here's another prediction, based directly on this topic: the first time "fight back" works in a school will be the last time, for the very next nutjobs that take their often legally purchased massive store of weapons into a school will just start viciously mowing down kids all that much faster.

Lets see... the gun lobby will then argue that ALL teachers in ALL schools need to have a weapon in a visible holster. Yup... coming soon.

Meanwhile, every modern country with progressive gun laws and bans will continue to have dramatically fewer killings. I agree with you Matt, its pointless arguing with those who care more about scoring points for a broken ideology than to make actual progress.
    “Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under
    considerable economic stress at this period in history.”

When the kids bash up the gun man they should be offered some bravery award, they'll probably get a Civilian Bravery Award, if you have them in the US.

They should be recruited into extra-curricular military activities.

A nation if child soldiers, sounds fun.