Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

*Quality* Registrar to Transfer My Domains To

I have 6 domains at registerfly and might add one or two more over the next year, so my needs are not great. But, I really can't stand the registerfly site and controls. It's slow, unreliable, error-prone, you name it. I want out.

So, I want to find a registrar where I can transfer all my domains that has pages that load quickly, minimal ads and junk, with speed and customer service top as top priorities. I don't mind paying a bit more for a domain (maybe $10-$20) or so. Nothing like registerfly or godaddy. I use custom domains and sometimes custom records at the registrar so I need to the advanced features, too.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciate.

How about eNom?

Nice control panel, fast propagation (haven't needed to use customer services, so can't comment on that).

You can use their DNS Servers and use your own custom DNS/MX records.

More info here
    Tim K
    CyberHostUK - Reliable, Affordable Web Hosting

Don't you have to apply to be a reseller with enom? I don't want to do that. These are my own domains. I am not a web host or a reseller.

Please use the search function! There are LOTS of threads like this!

NameCheap is an eNom reseller and they have great support! The interface is very clean and fast loading...Domains are $8/year there if you use a coupon. ($8.88 regular price.)
    Top Web Hosts - Add your company to this web hosting directory!

Im moving 10 domains out of registerfly for the same reasons you listed.

Im moving to namecheap
    www.namecheap.com they have a nice clean interface that acually works
    and a good reputation.

Registerfly has just been dowing down hill for to long now.
    I could tell you a joke about UDP. But I'm not sure you would get it!

I've had no problems with www.dotster.com and they do have phone support.
    Regular price is $14.95 but I phoned and got a rate of $8.95. You can also go thru a reseller (ie www.netcheap.com) and get $7.99 pricing. If you go thru a reseller you can still access your account thru the dotster.com website.
    My only complaint with them is their checkout that tries to trick you with a coupon to join a travel club with automatic monthly billing.

i did the same, asked dotster to get the same pricing as Godaddy, after one day i got it.

the whole system isnt that bad from dotster, but i also always get a mail after payment with joining a club or pay(?) for some coupons...

Have used registerfly, godaddy, namecheap. I happiest with namecheap by far.

Namecheap is my recommendation.

Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    AgilityHosting.net - UK & European cPanel Web Hosting

I would recommend eNom. I think they are exactly who you are looking for. I wouldn't go directly, but get a free $8.95 sub reseller account with an ETP (PM MrZippy, Bashar, et al). You'll get the same interface as you'll get with eNom directly. You can sign up for a free account with eNom (just use a junk name) to see what you are getting, but of course the best piece you won't be able to see (the domain admin), since you won't have any domains regged.

My second suggestion would be NameCheap. They are an eNom reseller with their own control panel. They have a few nice features that eNom don't have, like cloning a domain, improved security features (which are off by default), and the best whois privacy offer anywhere. They charge $8.88 but regularly have a coupon code which takes it to a tad under $8.
    Signature Under Construction.

Exclamation Suggestion

It is a shame that some discount registars can not fulfill obligations, but remember you get what you pay for. Registerfly is lowest of low when it comes to customers. Do search engine check with only registerfly in window and see what appears in top two or three listings and check it out.

Thanks, everyone, for your input. I've spent the weekend researching this issue here and in other places because it's such a pain to transfer domains that I don't want to have to do it again. Anyway, I think I'm going to go with namecheap.com. I like the speed of the site and the available features. Plus, I sent them a sales question on Saturday morning and got a response within a few hours. For comparison's sake, I sent a support question to registerfly at the same time and still have not had a response, and it's been about 36 hours. Granted, it's the weekend, but their site says 24x7 support. Namecheap can respond to a sales inquiry but registerfly can't respond to a support inquiry. Go figure. That's why I'm leaving them.

Anyway, thanks for all the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson1995
    it's such a pain to transfer domains that I don't want to have to do it again.
    Oh, my... It's SO easy, really... All you have to do is initiate the transfer (i.e. fill the forms and pay for the gaining registrar) and click the 'approve' link in the email you'll receive afterwards. What's exactly so painfull about this?
    Respect My Authoritah! - Eric Cartman (a friend of mine).

Try doing that when you registered your domain with your discounted web-hosting company

And note that many registrars nowadays are requiring auth codes prior to moving all
    your .com domain names to them. Many have already adjusted, others haven't.

the deadline for that change is somewhere close to the end of this month.

I've been looking for registrar too and ended up at bbb.com searching godaddy.com see:
    data.bbb.org/scripts/cgiip.exe/WService=phoenix/phoenix/showrpt.html?language=english&zid=22000169
    Had 116 complaints last 12 months.

and namecheap.com see:
    labbb.org/BBBWeb/Forms/Business/CompanyReportPage_Expository.aspx?CompanyID=13216498&sm=
    'F' rated and outstanding complaints not dealing with.

Not to say namecheap not good, just what I researched at bbb.com

BTW
    IF register names at say namecheap or godaddy or... as can get ok price
    THEN take out host a/c with hostgator.com AND at name registrar I point DNS at hostgator's name servers.
    ? does that mean that regardless of the state/poor service/etc (aka registerfly ) of the name registrar that once DNS mapped to hostgator [they say that have 6 name servers around the US] see:
    registryrocket.com/default.asp?ec=5103184A-8C21-4EFA-ACA0-0
    that effectively all refs to the reg'd names will totally bypass the dodgy [potentially] registrar?

Basically, you get the low cost name reg deals but use good host/name servers... Am I making sense???

I mention hostgator as time spent on their site has been all positives. Good searchable info is provided and just feel comfortable with their setup. Also like idea of 24/7 chat support. Is good as am in UK and need ability to get ?'s asked in timely manner even if bedtime in US!

Thanks

ps. sorry bout above url's - need >=5 posts to use vbs stuff - sob,sob

Once you've updated your nameservers in the registry, Registerfly has no affect on your uptime. The problems that Registerfly may (probably will) cause are things like wrong expiration dates, unresponsive interface, etc.
    Top Web Hosts - Add your company to this web hosting directory!

Thanks slider, have read around about Registerfly I was not feeling confident that good idea. You have increased my knowledge rea: DNS mapping - yes makes sense, the registrar is taken out of the client -> host path.
    Your forecast about admin could cause big stress - stress which have read about recently to the poor people using Registerfly. Totally unnecessary behaviour - not understand how these types sleep at night

BTW
    Since my last post, I learned that hostgator does not allow DNS management unless have some biggie type hosting plan. I was real keen and not understand their refusal to have as standard admin feature on all hosting plans. I'm with 1and1 and they like others seen allow this. (but 1and1 is too clunky for my liking - not use something like cpanel and their help docs appear ok 'sometimes' also getting real comms is not easy except by costly telcall

I used the hostgator online chat (kybrd) and within couple mins had informed response. Damn... if only had DNS admin!

Quote Originally Posted by ukuwi
    .. if only had DNS admin!
    Very easy!

use www.zoneedit.com for your dns. for smaller domains, it's free.

You have full dns/nameserver control, but with that, you have to know what you are dong too.

-larry

Thanks for the tip Larry, have read what's available on site and like the service.
    'zone' fees will add up if have many domains (although) the more 'zone' credits you buy the cheaper they are - must weigh the savings in domain registration with outgoings with zoneedit.com service.
    In their faq they mentioned a freebie DNS service granitecanyon.com which looks hopeful.

What continually gets me is just how much there is to pick up in the info/services arena. Is great brain fun but totally mind numbing at other times...

BTW
    Some very interesting (almost R/T) support? issues going on over at hostgator.
    An UK customer is attempting to deal with a 5+ day hostgator self-inflicted error.... ummm 24hr support? Man, I am seriously considering NOT getting involved with hostgator. Here's the forum thread where the dude is kindly keeping a log (public of course!) of basics of what's going on errr, not going on I mean.
    forums.hostgator.com/showthread.php?p=38508#post38508

You gotta have a looksee, is vSad but enlightening about their [non]commitment to giving best poss support!

Anyone ever hear/use/know of superb.net? 10yrs old like hosting firm.
    And... what about godaddy.com?

Cheers

The most accepted model is to have your domain registered with your own acount at a registrar (or reseller) and your web-hosting in your own account with a webhost not affiliated to your registrar.

Most registrars provide dns management. For most it's included in the basic registration price (eNom, NameCheap, GoDaddy et al) and for others it's an additional cost (Directi, Domainsite, NetSol, Dotster, et al). Additional cost is between $0.25 and $10, with most falling under $2.50.

Registerfly also provide dns management. So it's a bit unclear what the problem is, other than the fact that you should escape from Registerfly's clutches, asap. Transfer your domain to NameCheap. You won't regret the decision, believe me. You might regret the decision to stay with Registerfly, come renewal time because we've seen many, many, problems with renewals at Registerfly, as well as what appears to be many, many problems with their own database.
    I don't really see the need for you to use a site like ZoneEdit.

Quote Originally Posted by stu2
    The most accepted model is to have your domain registered with your own acount at a registrar (or reseller) and your web-hosting in your own account with a webhost not affiliated to your registrar.
    Yes, after reading an article at goodwebhosting.info/article.py/43 I can now appreciate just why it's bad news to [effectively] loose control of the most important part of one's online personna. Am very glad you made this comment.

Most registrars provide dns management. For most it's included in the basic registration price (eNom, NameCheap, GoDaddy et al) and for others it's an additional cost (Directi, Domainsite, NetSol, Dotster, et al). Additional cost is between $0.25 and $10, with most falling under $2.50.
    This I can now see is worth going with registrar providing DNS admin.

Registerfly also provide dns management. So it's a bit unclear what the problem is, other than the fact that you should escape from Registerfly's clutches, asap. Transfer your domain to NameCheap. You won't regret the decision, believe me. You might regret the decision to stay with Registerfly, come renewal time because we've seen many, many, problems with renewals at Registerfly, as well as what appears to be many, many problems with their own database.
    Well... Registerfly can just fly away given all the neg PR floating around. cheapnames.com look like good place to use as primary registrar. Thanks for the recommendation.
    I don't really see the need for you to use a site like ZoneEdit.
    Yep, not see reason either now. I'm better informed due to the generous assistance given by posters here.

Just out of interest: I happen to land on page which listed smallbusiness.yahoo.com/webhosting/ and although I am learner-driver regards the hosting services universe, I must admit to really liking what yahoo has to offer.
    The comparison chart [when expanded with 'more tech info'] is just great! Sure, many never much of any plans offerings, but yahoo is offering tools not seen elsewhere. Additionally, imho they must strive to reasonable level of 'goodness' rea: the hosting environment simply due to reputation is on the line. The give 24/7 support and I'm betting/hoping that staff [at least] know what DNS means - lol.
    Anyway, I'm reasonably keen to cast my lot with yahoo. I like all the info on the site - all up front, nothing hidden.

Of course! if any reader of this has concerns or 'did you think about this?' remarks about smallbusiness.yahoo.com/webhosting/ please do shout, OK?

Just like to say how great it has been on this forum. I'd never have believed that the way I feel today was ever going to happen when I made my first post!
    Stu, your one comment on keeping registrar and host separate was [for me] very profound [aw shucks :]

Thanks to all and remember to blast holes in my thinking above if you so desire... best way to learn is to get shoved into a tight corner and learn how to fight your way out!

Best Regards From S.Coast of England!!! [ rainy as usual ]

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by ukuwi
    I'm reasonably keen to cast my lot with yahoo. I like all the info on the site - all up front, nothing hidden.

Of course! if any reader of this has concerns or 'did you think about this?' remarks about smallbusiness.yahoo.com/webhosting/ please do shout, OK?

Tim
    And we carefully put "yahoo host" in the little [search] box in the upper right corner did we?

Google SEARCH is your frend too...

-larry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast