to web designers and we design companies

when's the right time to get a 'legal' copy of the programs used to make sites like dreamweaver, photoshop, flash, etc.?

When you stop being a cheap bastard
    No really, I think it's when your trial has run out, or when you have enough funds for it?
    iLyric - The best lyrics script you'll ever use - Visit Script Store for more information!

When's the right time to not use a legal copy?

I use freeware, arachnophilia or 1stpage. Pretty good and legal right outta the box.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

Chicken

Re: to web designers and we design companies

Originally posted by NumLock
    when's the right time to get a 'legal' copy of the programs used to make sites like dreamweaver, photoshop, flash, etc.?
    When you start in business. If you are serious about being in business you have to respect the intellectual property of the companies that you rely on. If you want to be a web designer, buying these tools is just part of the cost of entry into the business.

Just as a web designer would not want someone else to steal their images/design, the makers of these software products do not want people to use them without paying.

When you are still in school. There are discounts for students. I think it is 200 dollars for the Macromedia developement package, It is normally like 900.

If you are serious about your skills, it's time.

Re: to web designers and we design companies

When you want to think you have a right to protest if someone rips off your designs. If you're going to steal other people's work, it'd be hypocritical for you to complain if someone else steals yours.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

ya like whose gonna know if you use a copied version of flash or something to make that flash site/banner.

When you want to think you have a right to protest if someone rips off your designs.
    what does the legal ownership of a program (lets say dreamweaver) got to do with a 'right to protest'? like their gonna ask you if your copy of DW is legal or not.

When you are still in school. There are discounts for students. I think it is 200 dollars for the Macromedia developement package, It is normally like 900.
    thats still big bucks.

but seriously, i think if you finally get a business permit, then you'l hav to get legal programs. but when your a freelance designer, it isn't really necessary.

If your serious about what your want to do with it, and have good plans for it then buy it striaght away.

Never hang about like a diffy, because you'll notice alot of practice is lost through your waiting. The sooner you get it, the sooner you'll be making something outa yourself.

This is a result of selling cheap designs - it's hard to get the money to actually pay for the software. I got lucky, and won $750 of Macromedia software.
    Andrew Walenczykiewicz
    StyleMy.com

what does the legal ownership of a program (lets say dreamweaver) got to do with a 'right to protest'? like their gonna ask you if your copy of DW is legal or not.
    Sadly very little I suppose. Were it my choice I'd just have thieves shot on site so their protests were a moot point anyway. Pay for things you use, or don't use them at all.

I've always found it odd that people continue to attempt to justify the stealing of things they have no right to. I would imagine if you did a job for someone and they took off with the work without paying you, you'd consider them a thief and be pretty upset about it.

Software companies aren't in the business to just give things away. If you can't afford the top end stuff like Adobe and Macromedia buy cheaper, go to school, or download freeware. The rest of us make that commitment to support the companies that program the software we use and take a dim view of people who don't.

Pay your way through life instead of just leeching off others.

Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

right, but these guys are 'rich', some of us are just 'starting out' an, plus, its a program which everybody gets, i think a program is very different from a web/graphics design. one program for all users and a web design is created specially for one company/person. thus its hard for them to get a loss. oh, and i do beleive that once you are sure that the you will use this software for a permanent and *legal* business, then it would be wise to buy the software.

but seriously, i think if you finally get a business permit, then you'l hav to get legal programs. but when your a freelance designer, it isn't really necessary.
    It is necessary!

It may be difficult to find the funds for all the software you need, especially if you're just starting out, but there are ways:

1. Purchase them one by one. If you earn $500 for your next design job, buy Dreamweaver or buy Flash. Reinvest in yourself and your freelance business. You would be doing something for yourself!

2. Instead of money, negotiate software for your next job. Some clients are very open to this, but if you don't ask, you'll never know.

3. Take a chance with Ebay. There are legal, sometimes new copies sold there at a fraction of the cost.

4. Borrow. Yes, borrow. Businesses do it all the time. There's no reason why you shouldn't just because you're freelancing. It will all come back to you ten fold.

The above are all possibilities, but the most important thing is that you need to at least have the intention to buy the legal copies. If you don't even plan on it, you'll never get it!

I'm a little surprised at the tone some of the posts on this thread are taking. In fact the first question itself kind of surprises me (I guess it really shouldn't)...

If your serious about what your want to do with it, and have good plans for it then buy it striaght away.
    What about if you're not serious - is it okay to pirate the software then?

but when your a freelance designer, it isn't really necessary.
    Is that because no one will probably find out or care? Perhaps it's because you don't make that much money from using the product?

when you have enough funds for it?
    So when you don't have enough funds just head on over the local Warez UseNet forum?

Seriously, (and my opinion might be biased since I code software to put the bread on the table so to say) I really believe there's only one answer to this question...

when's the right time to get a 'legal' copy of the programs
    As soon as you start using them. Many companies offer a trial - so try that to be sure you like the software. Otherwise, use freeware or learn to handcode (like I did when I was cash strapped). Would you walk into a 7-11 and steal a bag of chips just because you had the munchies? What about walking into a BestBuy and getting the five-finger discount on a new TV or camera? The only difference between that and software is the difficulty at catching the thief and the intangible nature of the good. The origonal "maker" of the goods has set a price which they consider fair - if you don't agree, don't buy (and don't use).

I don't mean to lecture or flame, but this kind of attitude bugs me. The software fees are so high because of how much actually goes into creating a good piece of software. As a consumer you're subsidizing the work of a large team of people that create the product. If you can't afford something like Dreamweaver with all the bells and whistles, make due with something you can afford until you build up income to take the next step.

Anyway, rant over. I've got my fire-retardent jacket on so flame away!

Dave
    Dave Glick
    creativenews.com - creative news for creative people.
    glickcreative.com - look ma, I have a portfolio!