Cell phone purchasing advice

Im planning on purchasing a phone sometime in the near future, and I was just wondering what everyones opinion was on the following phones:

LG Chocolate

Samsung SCH-a990

Blackberry 8703e

Im just looking for a general use phone, however, I liked the features of the blackberry and all the community released applications (SSH etc) available, whats your opinion?

Really depends on what you want to use it for and if you will be using it everyday.

Personally i switched from Nextel to MetroPCS, for $58 a month (includes tax) you get Unlimited Talk/Web/Txt//Pix Text messaging.... But really depends on what type of usage you will be using it for and which carrier is best in your area.

Nokia ftw.

But LGs are good too.
    Nick Hudson - Prevail Host LLC - http://www.prevail.host/
    Premium Quality cPanel Hosting Services - CloudLinux, LiteSpeed & SSD
    WHMControl - Secure Your Server Logins & Automate Password Changes

Hi,

My best advice is, do not go for a phone just based on the reviews you read online and so on, make sure you try the phone or at least take a look at it in real life before ordering it online or through a local dealer. It's usually based on personal preference for the designs and so on as the phones are very similar in terms of features and so on now a days.

Good luck!
    CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Blackberries are awesome.. it all depends what carrier is best in your area though. I know someone suggested Metro PCS, but I'm not sure if they're available in San Diego. You should maybe go ask your friends how their phone's coverage is in different areas around town and decide from there. (i mean, what use is a phone if it doesn't work?)

I'm not familiar with the high zoot phones. However, you probably should take into consideration what carrier you want in choosing a phone. Cingular and T-mobile are GSM. Verizon and Sprint are CDMA. Nextel is iDEN.

Quote Originally Posted by Disgruntled
    I'm not familiar with the high zoot phones. However, you probably should take into consideration what carrier you want in choosing a phone. Cingular and T-mobile are GSM. Verizon and Sprint are CDMA. Nextel is iDEN.
    And you want GSM.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Nick H
    Nokia ftw.

But LGs are good too.
    You have to be careful with nokia's now... verizon is rebranding Pantec's phone as a nokia (or nokia is doing this, or they are doing it together, whatever, it is being done). I don't know about other carriers.

http://howardforums.com/ is the best site to find out info about phones... like wht is for web stuff....
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Another good site, but geared more towards SE & Symbian is Esato.

I currently use the SE K750i, its a great general purpose phone, with what is described by many as the best camera on a cellphone. It takes great pictures.

For my next purchase, I am going to buy a "smart" phone, although more and more there are no more "dumb" phones. I am considering the SE P990i as I previously had good experience with the P910i.

I agree with Cirtex in that you should try out the phone at a shop first before you buy it solely on the reviews you see on the web. Phones are very personal and what may appeal to one person may disgust another -- just look at the reviews of any cellphone and you will see people complaining how could they make something so ugly -- and others praising its good looks.

GSM is the future as far as cellphone tech goes, no need to be stuck with CDMA/TDMA. Plus, if you get a "world" phone, you can take it with you overseas and it will work with other GSM providers.

You need to made a decision what you will be using the phone for primarily. If you are like me and use the phone primarily to make and receive calls, then you want something with excellent call qualities and ergonomics. Not all phones are the same when it comes to actual "phone" use. I have seen some that are great at tacking photos and playing music, but you can hardly hear the other person when you use it as a phone. Others (mainly Windows PC based phones) have very bad speaker/microphone combos. Either they can't hear you, or you can't hear them.

Good luck
    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.
    If you feel like it, you can read my blog
    Signal > Noise

I take it you are looking into Verizon Wireless as your carrier based on the phones you are looking at. We currently use Verizon for our wireless needs. The 3 phones you are looking at are for totally different audiences.

The LG Chocolate - Its basically a mp3 player 1st then a phone so its geared more towards the young crowd.

The a990 is just a regular cellphone nothing special about it.

The 8703e is obviously for the business type of person.

First look at what your needs are and then compare the phones.

I use the Treo 700W and its great for my needs.

You might want to look at http://www.phonescoop.com its a great site when it comes to looking for cell phones.

I hope this helps!

Willy
    WCSWEB.NETWORKS - 24x7 Support We're here to help anytime, day or night!
    WCSHOST.Net <- Call us (800) 590-0017 ->
    Linux based Cpanel Shared and Reseller premium Hosting with Fantastico & rvskin
    Windows based Helm Shared Premium Hosting / Remote Backup solutions

Chocolate is a very nice phone, my wife has it and swears that it is better than her ipod (and i thought it was a phone ). I have a Motorola E815 which in my opinion is one of the best phones to ever come out of Motorola (not sure if Verizon still carries it). If i could go back and do it again i would of went with Cingular just for the GSM network and ease of activating new phones.

1. Find the best network in your area
    2. Find a phone

That would be the order i would proceed.
    How many web hosts does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Quote Originally Posted by WCSWEB
    The a990 is just a regular cellphone nothing special about it.
    I disagree there, it has some great camera/multimedia features which you don't get with most phones, 3.2 megapixels is pretty impressive.

(I'm aware that Samsung has a 10MP phone, but that's rather impractical, and by today's standards 3.2MP is still above average)
    HostingChoice - Shared and Reseller Hosting
    - A+ customer support & 100% no-overselling guarantee.
    - Unlimited MySQL Databases and other great features.

MSN: [email protected] AIM: HCLiveHelp02

Quote Originally Posted by fyrestrtr

GSM is the future as far as cellphone tech goes, no need to be stuck with CDMA/TDMA. Plus, if you get a "world" phone, you can take it with you overseas and it will work with other GSM providers.
    CDMA and TDMA are not really closely related. You probably won't find any new TDMA phones for sale, and the GSM networks that are carrying TDMA signals will be pulling the plug on TDMA in March 2008.

CDMA hasn't caught on very much in most of the world outside the U.S.A., but Verizon's CDMA network does have good coverage here. Alaska Communications Systems is also CDMA. Also Sprint. Nextel may convert from iDEN to CDMA in a few years.
    Which is best? It depends on where you expect to use your phone. Sometimes there is no substitute for local experience. A network that has impressive coverage on their map may be in the shadow of a hill or a building in the spot where you often need to use your phone.