mac os x as dedicated server

You have the new xserves from apple, add the unix based osx server which offers apache, tomcat, mysql, php, cgi, webdav, webojects deployement, java, mail server(pop and imap), remote administration, configuration and monitoring tools among many other things...

http://www.apple.com/xserve/
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/server/

Would you use it in a hosting enviroment? I am mainly interested in the technical side of the question, but go ahead and discuss the price and economic sence it would make to use one.

Not if you need to run the GUI. No server should be running any GUI, least of all the OS X resource hog one

While xserve is really nice, unless you plan to really use the specific features of Mac OS X Server, Quick Time streaming, and/or Web Objects - I'd stick with your standard server.

ugh....

xserve=rip off , i rather build a 1u thats more powerful for half the price , not to mention , apple has no track record in the server arena , ask yourself this , what could you build yourself for 3000-8000 dollars , i bet its something just as nice if not WAY better

Xserver from Apple is great Dedicated server : Complete,advanced with Mac OS X easy setup. But $2999 - $3999 are too high for my wallet.

Actually, if you look at other companies (such as IBM), apple's price is comparable. It only looks expensive because the default Apple configuration is more high-ended.

Peter

I do not know a whole lot about Apple Servers, but I would think that they aren't the best choice unless you are advanced in Apple/Server knowledge.

I mean how much talk to you hear about Apple servers these days? You have to able to find support for Apple Servers, and I'm not sure you'll find a whole lot.

Just my thoughts.
    Matt De Leon
    GreekComm - http://www.greekcomm.com/
    Online Community for Greek Fraternities and Sororities.

Actually, since the core of Apple's MacOS X is freebsd, a lot of Unix experts have instantly become MacOX X experts also. You don't hear about Apple server because the Apple's market share is still low, not because it is not good or no one knows it.

Peter

Question Re: ugh....

Originally posted by case
    xserve=rip off , i rather build a 1u thats more powerful for half the price , not to mention , apple has no track record in the server arena , ask yourself this , what could you build yourself for 3000-8000 dollars , i bet its something just as nice if not WAY better

What video streaming server would you use that doesn't have per-client licensing?