Streaming/Hosting Media Files

Ok i need a detailed opinion from the pros before i get into something below are the points i want to know:

• Can i host/stream copyrighted music by famous artists WHILE not letting teh user download the file and only let him listen to it..
    • Are there any laws against streaming?
    • Should i get a lawyer before starting this kind of site?
    • Hosting is not a problem but the law is and im not fully aware of it on piracy on streaming related issues
    • What will happen (worst case scenario) if i only let people stream copyrighted music on my site but not let people download it.

As ive mentioned again and again i DO NOT let people download copyrighted music only listening and streaming!

detailed reviews appreciated

You will need the appropriate broadcast licensing to stream music. You are talking about two different area's as well, one being live streaming (as in similar to a radio station) and the other being on-demand streaming.

There are no laws against streaming, however you need to have permission to stream your content from the copyright holder. In the case of famous artists you would need licenses.

A good place to start for licensing is www.loudcity.net, they offer reasonable pricing on fully inclusive licenses - i think they are also covered by MCPS and PPL now??

Good luck anyway!
    Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

Hey matt thanks for that site!!

very helpful
    oh and im not doign a radio thing its just liek a vb forum where a person posts the altest music where it runs in the topic itself without any download and people write reviews on ti

much like youtube

Well to be honest with you, I dont think YouTube has any licensing for most of the content they have streaming, I have heard many people going on about it anyway.

So if a large corporation like that can get away with it, I don't think the likes of RIAA will be too interested in you.

It just depends where your morals lie. If its easily accessible to get licensing for it, I would if I were you just to be on the safe side.

5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

Well i saw loudcity but they only license station ive mailed them about my situation hopefully will get a good response

and its NOT accessible to anyone at all copyrighted music is taken seriously on my board its seriously on listening only basis

and the files are saved as encrypted theres no way this can be penetrated to download copyrighted music

any suggestion?

It doesn't really matter if they can "download" the tune or not. You're distributing/broadcasting a copyrighted work.

So if a large corporation like that can get away with it, I don't think the likes of RIAA will be too interested in you.
    I remember reading RIAA went for the "little people" as well, not just the big corporations.

AFAIK Youtube is still in a gray area regarding copyright.

Hey dan, is there anyway to stream copyrighted files and still be safe?

Regarding the license issue, does anyone know how google, youtube handle license issues for their streaming content? I've seen people adding complete movies theree and I don't think they've a agreement with Paramount, UiP, etc for that kind of streaming - especially not when it's filmed with a camera in a cinema
    -Mr Bister

Quote Originally Posted by Dluzion
    Ok i need a detailed opinion from the pros before i get into something below are the points i want to know:
    • Can i host/stream copyrighted music by famous artists WHILE not letting teh user download the file and only let him listen to it..
    • Are there any laws against streaming?
    • Should i get a lawyer before starting this kind of site?
    • Hosting is not a problem but the law is and im not fully aware of it on piracy on streaming related issues
    • What will happen (worst case scenario) if i only let people stream copyrighted music on my site but not let people download it.
    As ive mentioned again and again i DO NOT let people download copyrighted music only listening and streaming!

detailed reviews appreciated
    Without DRM there is no difference between downloading and streaming.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbister
    Regarding the license issue, does anyone know how google, youtube handle license issues for their streaming content? I've seen people adding complete movies theree and I don't think they've a agreement with Paramount, UiP, etc for that kind of streaming - especially not when it's filmed with a camera in a cinema
    I have to disagree about you seeing complete movies there - there is a 10 min limit for uploaded videos.

The DMCA protects them - once they are alerted to their property providing copyrighted material, they must remove it in a reasonable amount of time.

I would suggest something like a ShoutCast server that would most likely suit your needs. I know there are plugins for IPB that allow you to show which song is playing etc along the top of the forums. All the user has to do is click on winamp/itunes button and bingo- Streaming music

As for copyright, its a touchy subject and there is alot you can get away with if you're just small. Just to be safe I would review some of the copyright documentation out there
    Kdoubt.net - Gameing discussion, arcade, all around good fun

Quote Originally Posted by utropicmedia-karl
    I have to disagree about you seeing complete movies there - there is a 10 min limit for uploaded videos.
    On youtube maybe, but I have seen hour long videos on Google

With regards to shoutcast, it is good for live streaming and does have the capability to do on-demand streaming but this isnt the best format to use for this.

Also, NSV has been in BETA form for about 3 years now and is never going to be finished now AOL have their grubby hands on Nullsoft and sacked every single member but one of the Nullsoft team.

Quote Originally Posted by Xcellweb Matt
    On youtube maybe, but I have seen hour long videos on Google

Could be, but no one cares about google video - not even google!

Quote Originally Posted by utropicmedia-karl
    Could be, but no one cares about google video - not even google!
    Lol thats true!

Btw, I think they allow you to upload longer vids on Youtube if you have a paid account with them??? Either way, they have no licenses for all the music vids that are on there hehe!

Think about it this way:

1. RIAA sues youtube right now (just before the acquisition), and gets nothing (no profits / money yet), shuts down the company.

2. RIAA waits till youtube starts making money and/or gets acquired, sues them then, which will probably result in making lots of money out of royalty fees and/or penalties.

Would you sue them right now?

Quote Originally Posted by dcabbar
    Think about it this way:

1. RIAA sues youtube right now (just before the acquisition), and gets nothing (no profits / money yet), shuts down the company.

2. RIAA waits till youtube starts making money and/or gets acquired, sues them then, which will probably result in making lots of money out of royalty fees and/or penalties.

Would you sue them right now?

The RIAA has no legal standing to sue. Please read the DMCA safe-harbor provisions. The short version is YouTube is a service provider. You can sue Youtube as much as you can sue the state highway system for a drunk driving fatality.

What I don't understand is, YouTube is no different than Napster/Kazaa, but they got sued! And, YouTube is even worse in that they host the stuff on their site, as opposed to brokering exchange.

Ok can anyone get to my problem now?

Here is what im thinking of doign

I have a vb 3.6.2

Im gonna get a mod that all songs to to a shoutcast server

Then

When someone clicks a link on the topic BAM on winamp streaming music!

Hows that??
    And also while doign that get a loudcity.net license

Well any loop hole therE?
    is there any reason why id be sued now?

the latest new is : YouTube = 1.6B US$,

legal or illegal ?? doesn't matter ...