Dedicated Server For GameServer

Hi,

I currently host a GameServer that comprises of 3 exe's.

It uses a MSSQL Database to store accounts,ect..

It's currently able to host 50+ people on the following specs:

AMD Duron 1300+

256MB Ram

ADSL2 4.5mbps / 1mbps (downlink/uplink)

So i need a dedicated server, can anyone recommend a dedicated server for the following:

GameServer
    MSSQL
    MYSQL
    WEBSERVER (Low traffic, 1 website.. i currently host it off the same server as the gameserver and it runs fine)
    Teamspeak (maybe 10 people in at once, half a gig every 5days or so)

With about 80 people i'd probably do about 1gb a day, so i'm thinking of starting small on the bandwidth (maybe 200GB a month) and upgrading if i need it in the future.

10mbps would be a good portspeed to start with, wouldn't it?

Currently 1mbps uplink starts to lag at about 70users.

EDIT: NOTE: Need to run a WINDOWS OS!! as the server files are windows based, and it uses MSSQL

This is just a project i'm doing for a little fun atm

So can anyone recommend me a host/plan for my needs.

Thanks,

YOu don't want to have a Webserver and MYSQL servers on the same server as your game machine, or your gonna get lag spikes.

Check out insomnia365.com

MYSQL will be doing little to NO usage.

And even on my duron 1300+ with all of above listed, the server runs fine, no lag spikes for any of the users.

EDIT: ok i will check out insomnia365.com , thanks.

What game are you going to host?

I'm surpised you could fit that many people on a Duron 1300 with 256MB of ram.

Well we can't give you suggestions because we have no idea how much the game your hosting uses.

Any dedicated server should include enough bandwidth (most include atleast 500-1000GB, which is ~2-3mbps).

10mbps should be fine seeing you only have 1mbps now...

If your game server uses most the CPU I wouldn't mix a MySQL database on the same server, thats usually my rule in the whole fact because MySQL can hog resources.

Maybe all you need is two VPS's, one for the game server and one for the MySQL database...it doesn't seem like you have very high usage since you can run them both on a Duron 256 right now.

I will take a shot in the dark and say you are hosting a MMORPG style game if it is indeed running on that type of platform. Almost any dedicated server for sale currently is going to be faster than what you have now, and if you are running good now then you should be in the clear for anything now.

layeredtech.com has good deals on AMD Sempron systems now, have a look at them

Quote Originally Posted by AvailNetworks
    I will take a shot in the dark and say you are hosting a MMORPG style game if it is indeed running on that type of platform. Almost any dedicated server for sale currently is going to be faster than what you have now, and if you are running good now then you should be in the clear for anything now.

layeredtech.com has good deals on AMD Sempron systems now, have a look at them
    Indeed it is a MMORPG game.

I will have a look at layeredtech.com.

At the moment it's purely still in testing phases as we need to work the bugs out of the server before we go ahead and rent a dedicated server.

It will be a few weeks before i sort out money for a dedicated server, so i will bookmark this thread and check on it soon.

Thanks guys

At least one person (Avail) actually read the OP's post.

He is running on a Duron 1300 256mb ram with the game and webserver on it and sees lag at 70+ users on an adsl line 1mbit upstream. Clearly you have all the information you should need for them to get a dedicated.

My recommendation is Layeredtech, Ezzi.net or Webnx.

Hardware get 1gb its cheap, non celeron cpu P4 2.4 or higher if Intel and AMD 2400 or higher should be fine for your needs assuming you are wanting to run the same software configuration. 10mbit port speed should be just fine.

If it is somethign you are charging money for then I would recommend you spend a bit more and get something with a bit more horsepower.

haha I try and read the threads coolraul, always a good habit to get into

I think the 70+ players lag must be because you are running low on ram and possibly cpu, on a mmorpg I wouldnt really think you are saturating the1mbit upload, that is pretty healthy. Check your usage in the task manager once you get that many people online to confirm.

I would indeed get into a p4/1gb Ram if you plan to expand much more than you already are so you won't have to upgrade right away again.

good luck on the project!

For the price of a lower spec Pentium / AMD you might as well go for ti, to save you upgrading at a later date.
    Olly | INX-Gaming
    Call of Duty 4 hosting

3 EXEs, MSSQL... sounds like the leaked server files from a certain MMO to me.

Careful with the legality.

West - CalPop [Low low prices!]
    Central - LayeredTech or Steadfast
    East - Toqen

All three offer colocation and dedicated servers. I would go for a non-Celeron P4 server or an Athlon/Opteron faster than ~1.5ghz.

Quote Originally Posted by TalonKarrde

that's awful bold. what does multiple exe's have to do with legality?

Checkout Steadfast.net as already mentioned. Great central location
    Linux junkie | steward.io

Quote Originally Posted by TalonKarrde

Actually the leaked Official files have 5 EXE's AUTHD, Cache, login, l2.exe and NPC.exe

He is most likely running L2J which is legal under GPU since it is emulated.

Either way if it is L2 its going to lag unless you have atleast a p4 3.0 HT and 1Gb ram.

The official BTW requires /3Gb switch to be enabled in the boot.ini as the game consumes that upon loadup.

I also noticed the leaked files on fileshack or someplace with 80% c4 complete

Optimize the DB if it is L2 as most of the lag will come from all the querries depending on your client count. Also run the Game Exe's from a 2nd drive.

Another optimizing tip if it is L2J

Edit your game server .bat to reflect this.

java -Xmx512m -cp or whatever u want the ram allocated to the game to be, remove all the other crap they put in there as your machine won't handle it.
    Last edited by Patrick67; 10-16-2006 at 12:21 AM.

I'm not running any form of the following servers:

Lineage 2
    Lineage
    Everquest
    Knight Online
    Mu Online
    Rose Online

Ect...

And the 3 exe's are probably what you could guess "Login Server (auth)" "DB Server" "Main Server"

You left out WoW

Quote Originally Posted by SandM
    You left out WoW
    Ive ran them before :p

Yes im not hosting a wow server