Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Canadian webhost needed

I am builing a social-community based website which I expect to receive alot of traffic. I know everyone ask the same question, WHAT IS THE BEST HOST/PROVIDER?
    Well I am doing the same, lol, but in Canada primarly in Toronto. I currently have an account with godaddy which I don't like because the pages take toooo long to load and well...there cheap for a reason.
    I then signed up with Canaca, omg these people are just stupid, I was drawn to them because of there amazing ping response time (under 40ms) however no one there knows what there doing. So I am tryin to get my money back from them but I need to find a new provider to move to.
    Idealy I would like a company which I can easily move up in, one where I can start with a regular shared host package and then move up to a reseller or vps. I need this because I plan to take over a few sites and bring them to my home. Ok specs I am looking for; realiable (uptime is always a must), disk space > 50GIG, bandwidth > 700GIG/mnth and must support PHP5, Ruby is a plus but not necessary.

And last but not least my are as followed
    shared host < $20
    reseller account <$50
    VPS < $60

Most importantly right now is a provider with the ability to move up in terms of plan. I also want stability, every provider that I come across that seems good to me is shutdown by bad reviews that I read. I can't seem to make up my mind, I've looked at netfirms.ca and midphase which seem pretty good however the reviews at vistainter don't seem convincing.

Thanks in advance.

700gb/month for under $20 is not going to be easy to find here in Canada. Unless overselling is the key word for the provider. Bandwidth is more expansive here then it is in the US.
    Alex Maleki -/- 1.866.596.8401
    iTeraWeb Solutions -\- Quality cPanel, Unlimited Reseller, and A-Z VoIP Termination.
    http://www.iteraweb.com | 24x7x365 Phone/Chat Support

You might want to consider raising your budget by some. A reason you are experiencing poor hosts could be the price you're paying.
    Kdoubt.net - Gameing discussion, arcade, all around good fun

Well unless the provider is using Cogent bandwidth. =)
    iTeraWeb Solutions -\- Quality cPanel, Unlimited Reseller, and A-Z VoIP Termination.

Quote Originally Posted by hmalekib
    Well unless the provider is using Cogent bandwidth. =)
    Even with Cogent that host will be selling at his cost price if he buys bw at $10 per mbit, no wonder canaca has to cut on support.
    Jean-Pierre Abboud / I'm the TekGURU
    www.Gotekky.com / Managed hosting solutions / AS63447
    Web Hosting, VPS Hosting, Dedicated Servers

Good point J-P

try netfirms

Quote Originally Posted by Jumba
    try netfirms
    His not convinced with their reviews.

I saw many recommendations for fatnetwork.net based in Canada. (After having watched them for almost 3 years, I myself just signed up too ;-)

However you should really consider raising your budget. After all, you cant get a Mercedes Benz for the price of a Fiat ;-)

Best regards
    Last edited by valentin_nils; 10-13-2006 at 12:26 AM.
    __--- Nils Valentin ---
    ☆★☆ Speedtest One: Tokyo / Japan ☆★☆ / Feedback
    ☆★☆ Speedtest Two: Tokyo / Japan ☆★☆ / Feedback

I would not necessaril look at canada, look in the USA as well..... but as mentioned earlier 700GB BW for 20 dollars is overselling, overselling kills your site if it is over done especially if you are looking for speed too.
    GS RichCopy 360 Enterprise - Voted #1 for data migration and replication in terms of performance and features. Replicate data across between servers in the same network, WAN, or even across the internet - Many customer call it RSync for Windows

Ok specs I am looking for; realiable (uptime is always a must), disk space > 50GIG, bandwidth > 700GIG/mnth and must support PHP5, Ruby is a plus but not necessary.
    Question: How much are you using now?

Suggestion: Look at the prices of dedicated servers, then run the math and see for yourself how much shared hosting/VPS/reseller hosting should cost you. The discrepancies you see, are mostly overselling driven (read: the host bets you won't be using it). A community site using anywhere close to 700GB belongs on a powerful dedicated server anyway, due to high CPU requirements.

I think you're asking for more than your budget indicates. If your site is going to be that active, why don't you go to a dedicated server?

I presume you are basing your bandwidth requirements on what you had at canaca already... instead, think of how much you actually used, including space, bandwidth and CPU usage (if you had a dedicated server, or at least the type of site(s) you plan to run [eg. proxy, myspace resource site, etc.])

You don't necessarily need a Canadian webhost to target canadian consumers, however, if you're looking for $CAD-only prices, then that is probably the way to go.

If you're looking for recommendations, I've had personal experience with Funio.com (now iweb.ca) several years back, and heard some good things about them since.

Good luck!
    •• polur.net | Premium web hosting solutions you can trust since 2004••
    High performance NVMe SSD, CloudLinux & LiteSpeed hosting with Canadian datacentres

Ok specs I am looking for; realiable (uptime is always a must), disk space > 50GIG, bandwidth > 700GIG/mnth and must support PHP5, Ruby is a plus but not necessary.
    I believe these are just prices you are used to seeing. However, this pricing is exactly why you have had issues with both of your providers so far.

Try spending your budget on a package that actually has the resources you require vs buying the largest package you can find.

As for Canadian providers, take a look at monsterhosting.ca and digitallyjustified.com
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

Try spending your budget on a package that actually has the resources you require vs buying the largest package you can find.
    That's the best way anyone could have put it. Don't search for quantity, try to look for quality.

Try 247-host.com

thanks

Thanks for all the quick replies, I think you're all right its more about quality which is exactly what I am looking for.

Quality to me right now is defined by speed, I need my php files to be generated quickly and sent to the user's browser at lighting fast, lol.

Most if not all of my audience will be in the Greater Toronto Area, so I'm ideally looking for servers located either in Ontario or New York.

So far I've been testing servers by pinging them, which I've learned is a badddd approach, since it sent me to Canaca.
    Now I am more concerened about cpu time as well, note that my website is not any more complicated in terms of sql connections as say mambo or any other content management system. But I plan to have alot of people visiting the site so I want to make sure im with a host that can handle it.
    Some really good eastern canadian or northeast american webhost would be ideal.

I am leaning towards netfirms, simply because there website seems to offer a lot, however I am affraid I will get caught again with unsatisfatory results

There ping is really good from where I am, and they have Toronto servers, however from reading the reviews they seem to have alot of down time and alot of peps report slow website, which is my biggest fear.
    Has anyone tried netfirms with good results?
    Speed is my main concern along with space, because I will be holding a lot of pictures and flash videos(google video style) in the future.

With those specs, I suggest raising your price. Doing so will get you the reliability that you are looking for.

If you were impressed with Canaca's pings try pinging iWeb.ca in Montreal, I'm in T.O. and it's under 22ms all the time. Sounds like you need a dedicated server and I suggest iWeb.
    Last edited by icecreams; 10-13-2006 at 07:55 PM.
    PrimeHost Inc. - Canadian Web Hosting PrimeHost.ca - Canada's Prime Web Host
    █ Reliable Web Hosting for Business and Personal Websites on Canadian Servers

Try HOST QUOTE. They allow you to choose which country you like.
    Web2.0 Hosting Directory WH-D.com Empowering our users!

If you are looking for a quality (reliale, good uptiime), with $20.00, you should look for a good 1~2GB web space. Not 50GB

virtuosonetsolutions.com

How does everyone feel about virtuosonetsolutions.com?? I seem to be gettin some good ping results from them. I would like to know if there servers are fast at rendering pages.

Quote Originally Posted by cnv
    Try HOST QUOTE. They allow you to choose which country you like.

HOST QUOTE is Were spamer live. I Try to test WHT HOST QUOTE Over Year now , I still get email from hosting companies. if you ever going to use HOST QUOTE dont use with real email ID.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Quote Originally Posted by avi123
    How does everyone feel about virtuosonetsolutions.com?? I seem to be gettin some good ping results from them. I would like to know if there servers are fast at rendering pages.
    Doesn't look like you did a search on them at WHT, they are banned. Here's what was posted by anon-e-mouse at another forum (FWS)

Anyway, not sure why you're basing your speed theories on solely ping, there are a lot more factors to consider... if you're looking for a good host in Canada, try iWeb.ca (based in Montreal) as others have suggested
    •• polur.net | Premium web hosting solutions you can trust since 2004••
    High performance NVMe SSD, CloudLinux & LiteSpeed hosting with Canadian datacentres

Not sure why virtuxxxx shows up in a thread about "Canadian" web host. Aren't they located in NY, with servers in Iowa?
    “Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under
    considerable economic stress at this period in history.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast